• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Failing to update Gustard R26 firmware

ArthurPug

Hello, new to ASR. I've tried updating an early version R26 according to the included read me included in the download section at https://www.mediafire.com/file/kiv6myi56fatzi4/R26_Gustarender_1v4_upgrade.zip/file after the files are unzipped:
1) Switched off at back, removed the USB B cable
2) Ran usbimager, selected the R26_Release_1v42.img.gz file, attached a USB C lead to my laptop with the firmware on
3) Selected the D: [29.1 Gib] Generic STORAGE DEVICE as destination (the only option that appeared). Then hit the write button and waited four mins for the file to transfer which appeared successful.
4) Disconnected the lead and powered back on, using the rear switch first then the front button ... and nothing seems to have changed.
I can't find where to check what firmware it's running but menu text is no larger & no option to stop the standby button flashing. I've redownloaded the firmware to make sure the file was not corrupted and have tried 2 different USB C cables that I know are no faulty to repeat the process. Thanks in advance for anyone who can point me to where I'm going wrong.

OP
ArthurPug

ArthurPug

Just occurred to me I might be using a render update & not the firmware. Exploring other download thread pointers

JMP68

Hello, new to ASR. I've tried updating an early version R26 according to the included read me included in the download section at https://www.mediafire.com/file/kiv6myi56fatzi4/R26_Gustarender_1v4_upgrade.zip/file after the files are unzipped:
2) Ran usbimager, selected the R26_Release_1v42.img.gz file, attached a USB C lead to my laptop with the firmware on
3) Selected the D: [29.1 Gib] Generic STORAGE DEVICE as destination (the only option that appeared). Then hit the write button and waited four mins for the file to transfer which appeared successful.
4) Disconnected the lead and powered back on, using the rear switch first then the front button ... and nothing seems to have changed.
I can't find where to check what firmware it's running but menu text is no larger & no option to stop the standby button flashing. I've redownloaded the firmware to make sure the file was not corrupted and have tried 2 different USB C cables that I know are no faulty to repeat the process. Thanks in advance for anyone who can point me to where I'm going wrong.
I am returning mine today. Will not update, loses connection to Roon all the time. Going back to A26, should have never switched but had FOMO.

BillyKueek

Hi! Are you updating on Windows or Mac? I am using Mac but can't get the update done and I can't find step-by-step instructions or any video to help me.

OP
ArthurPug

ArthurPug

Hi! Are you updating on Windows or Mac? I am using Mac but can't get the update done and I can't find step-by-step instructions or any video to help me.
I did it on windows so can't help, but the chap on the hoffman forum I think gave Mac instructions & he's v helpful. On the road ATM so can't help with a link

OP
ArthurPug

ArthurPug

I am returning mine today. Will not update, loses connection to Roon all the time. Going back to A26, should have never switched but had FOMO.
Interesting. I started with the A26 which is a much better designed & looking unit but after initial awe at the soundstage I found it too tonally thin & returned it. I didn't give it a fair break in time because of the return window. I then bought a used R26 and after finally figuring out how to update it am v happy - it's a bit more solid in the midrange & slightly less spacious which works well with my valve / tannoy system. This is all totally system dependent of course & from what I remember of the A26 it's marginal differences, and as I've had 3 delta sigmas it may well be confirmation bias on what I read a ladder DAC does!

Last edited:
Top Bottom