• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

F208 to KH420?

airs

Hi all, I'm wondering what sort of differences I can expect going from F208's to KH420's? My sub is a ULS15. F208s are powered with NC400 monoblocks. Is there anything I'll be missing out on going from larger to smaller cabinets? What benefits will I realize?

OP
A

airs

Narrower directivity (KH420) vs wide directivity (F208). Totally subjective which you might prefer.

How about as far as "punchiness"? I want to be kicked in the chest a bit more ;)

Curvature

Major Contributor
You may like the subjective clarity that comes from the narrower and better controlled directivity of the KH420.

I'd say in general the best result comes from good directivity, good bass and a system for measurement and EQ. If you already have all three spending more on new gear will only bring about marginal improvements rather than a wholesome difference in kind.

OP
A

airs

You may like the subjective clarity that comes from the narrower and better controlled directivity of the KH420.

I'd say in general the best result comes from good directivity, good bass and a system for measurement and EQ. If you already have all three spending more on new gear will only bring about marginal improvements rather than a wholesome difference in kind.
Makes sense. I am using Dirac on a MiniDSP SHD..

MarkS

Major Contributor
How about as far as "punchiness"? I want to be kicked in the chest a bit more ;)
Play with EQ curves in Dirac (and/or sub crossover and/or sub location). The F208/NC400/ULS15 combo should easily be able to punch very hard, especially with Dirac room EQ taming room-induced bass fluctuations.

OP
A

airs

I wanted to follow up on this: after a few hours redoing crossovers, Dirac measurements/setup, and altering the positions of my speakers/sub a bit, I am very happy with the sound. I wonder if something got messed up during the upgrade to MiniDSP Device Console a while back. Thanks for the help everyone.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to follow up on this: after a few hours redoing crossovers, Dirac measurements/setup, and altering the positions of my speakers/sub a bit, I am very happy with the sound. I wonder if something got messed up during the upgrade to MiniDSP Device Console a while back. Thanks for the help everyone.
But did you go with the 420s, or EQ and cross the Revels and subs?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I kept the Revels and sub! Definitely getting sonic body slams now.
It's good to hear people maximizing their existing equipment with EQ. I don't think anyone should ignore that option, it's got some good bang-for-the-buck, much better than endless component swapping. And you started with a clean, even dispersion speaker anyway, so you don't need much else.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is to just give another shout-out to the quality and power-handling capability of the Revel Performa F208. My F208 + 2 subs + NAD C298 amp combo will blow my ear drums before the speakers. The reason I know that, is that they sound so clean, that I just keep nudging the volume knob, to concert levels. This is in a ~65m3 modest living room, with an openish back wall.

I foresee a future where I encourage everyone to upgrade to F208s, or to question why one might need to upgrade beyond F208s. These things ROCK! :cool:

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is to just give another shout-out to the quality and power-handling capability of the Revel Performa F208. My F208 + 2 subs + NAD C298 amp combo will blow my ear drums before the speakers. The reason I know that, is that they sound so clean, that you just keep nudging the volume knob, to concert levels. This is in a ~65m3 modest living room, with an openish back wall.

I foresee a future where I encourage everyone to upgrade to F208s, or to question why one might need to upgrade from F208s. These things ROCK! :cool:
Please don't tempt me... Please!

I won't bite, no I won't..

Peace.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Please don't tempt me... Please!

I won't bite, no I won't..

Peace.
And I'll remind everyone that the front-sided ports and wall-proximity adjustment makes these modest-size floorstanders relatively easy to place in most rooms. If you listen at highish dBs, these will do it all day.

I would love to see a blind shoot-out between F208s (with latest Class D amps, of course) and the Newman 310/420s and Genelec equivalents. Even Harman will admit (quietly) they can't hear a difference between F208s and their higher priced speakers.

BTW, glad to see the OP got his dialed-in. Time for a bite? :cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And I'll remind everyone that the front-sided ports and wall-proximity adjustment makes these modest-size floorstanders relatively easy to place in most rooms. If you listen at highish dBs, these will do it all day.

I would love to see a blind shoot-out between F208s (with latest Class D amps, of course) and the Newman 310/420s and Genelec equivalents. Even Harman will admit (quietly) they can't hear a difference between F208s and their higher priced speakers.

BTW, glad to see the OP got his dialed-in. Time for a bite? :cool:
Actually the Revel designer indicated their higher priced speakers still win their blind listening shoot outs. Maybe he's using marketing speak, maybe not. I have some F208s so I wished it were so, but it might not be.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Actually the Revel designer indicated their higher priced speakers still win their blind listening shoot outs. Maybe he's using marketing speak, maybe not. I have some F208s so I wished it were so, but it might not be.
Sorry, I mis-remembered.

Cunningham's Law (applicable?) took 49 minutes in this case. About the same time it took when I made a mistake, about musicians on an album, in a post in the jazz thread. ;)

I thought the only Be line speaker that could be discerned was the 328Be, with the extra woofer, you know, with more 'bite' (see above). BTW, I have no memory of where I read/heard any of this complete hearsay. Darn, you mean price=performance.

The speaker that does interest me is the JBL S3900 (horned 3-way, 2-10" woofers), at about $11K list, vs. our F208s and the Revel Be line. If I played around in the low '5-figure' speaker market, I'd want to hear these.

Edit: S3900, -6 dB at 33 Hz (as low as they go); F208 -3 dB at 33 Hz, -6 db at 27 Hz, -10 db at 23 Hz. Hmm... Although I'd use subwoofers, and the 3-way JBL horn intriques me. But once again, my original premise might still hold. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom