• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Jagamov

A reviewer that admits to being a technology numpty, who tells us that his education about the importance of HiFi Ethernet cables came from … a HiFi salesman, and that because of this amazing gear a streamed digital album is elevated to … wait a minute … CD quality levels .

Jesus wept (with apologies to Jesus) :facepalm:

Man, that article was hard to read. As a computer/network guy for most of my life...I'm really at a loss for words. What a bunch of nonsense...and the like (LOL).

I guess being ignorant of how it all works allows him to make fantastically ignorant statements. I can't believe people fall for this (no, that's not true...I can)

Edit to add: I quote "The standard splitter degraded the sound." It's a miracle that his streamer could even contact the internet with that much degradation. But hey "The D2’s luxury and features really add to the overall musical setting." SMH...

pjn

View attachment 346397

"The Ansuz Acoustics PowerSwitch D2 is a deceptively simple product. €5360 ($5797)."

View attachment 346398

Ansuz Acoustics Digitalz D2 Ethernet Cable (€2160/$2336 per metre). A reviewer said "For best results, my situation requires three Ethernet cables."

A pair of Revel F208 speakers plus an NAD C298 amp cost less. At MSRP. :facepalm:
It is a source of wonder that the ethernet signal suddenly degrades as it leaves the wall port. What is on the other side of the wall, one wonders? The sunlit uplands? The actual band, orchestra, singer, whatever? Good grief. Fools and their money...

----added edit when I saw the folly of my ways -
Michael Borresen kindly answers. Data is data, but data is not all the signal you get, overlaying the data is the
ambient noise from the internet, it's floating and the GND brings a lot of "high-frequency noise" in addition to the data signals, the key is how you deal with that.. this is one of our core abilities in Ansuz and I'd suspect in
Nordost as well.

No wonder my webpages flicker so much like an old TV. It is all that ambient noise! And thinking further, I should be able to increase the resolution of TV and movies to 16k or something!

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Same with power cables.

The idea that the electrical company magically teleports infinite amounts of pristine power to your wall sockets, and you then need an equally magical anaconda sized cable to transport this goodness the last couple of feet.

I simply can't fathom how anyone can muster such a gigantic pile of suspension of disbelief.

Last edited:

Svet Angelov

"Like all designer Michael Børresen’s products, he aims to reduce the noise floor to almost nil and to eliminate musical interference, the minutiae that continue daily to inhibit your hard-fought-for sound."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fights other people once I see them grabbing that last Shania Twain CD at the thrift store.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Like all designer Michael Børresen’s products, he aims to reduce the noise floor to almost nil and to eliminate musical interference, the minutiae that continue daily to inhibit your hard-fought-for sound."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fights other people once I see them grabbing that last Shania Twain CD at the thrift store.
lol.

That review is relentlessly moronic.

egellings

Major Contributor
Same with power cables.

The idea that the electrical company magically teleports infinite amounts of pristine power to your wall sockets, and you then need a equally magical anaconda sized cable to transport this goodness the last couple of feet.

I simply can't fathom how anyone can muster such a gigantic pile of suspension of disbelief.
People who fall for the silly cables likely have no electrical engineering background, so I can see how the claims of the cable companies could look plausible to them.

GaryY

Forum Donor
This was really shocking to me.
1707077699584.png

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
People who fall for the silly cables likely have no electrical engineering background, so I can see how the claims of the cable companies could look plausible to them.

True. I keep forgetting that the vast majority of the population have happily forgotten even the most basic physics they learned in elementary school, and have since then had little to no interaction with anything technical. All of it is basically complete magic to them. Easy pickings for snake-oil scumbags.

egellings

Major Contributor
True. I keep forgetting that the vast majority of the population have happily forgotten even the most basic physics they learned in elementary school, and have since then had little to no interaction with anything technical. All of it is basically complete magic to them. Easy pickings for snake-oil scumbags.
Agree.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This appears to be the new champion price-wise - coming in just above Transparent.

Synergistic still wear the extreme crown, even if their top end cable is about half the price... nobody else can engineer "custom quantum tunnelling" into their cables. The bargain SRX cables even come with cable lifters. That's real audiophile!

xray

You don't need an engineering background of any sort to call BS on most snake oil. You just need high school physics and common sense.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Did we discuss this gem of applied quantum physics yet

Halogen free? I am quite sure it is also no-carb and gluten free!

Top Bottom