• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

BeeKay

You have to have both, the goal is to look legitimate, withstand scrutiny with multiple camouflage angles while maintaining a distance of ownership of several SEMI-empty shells for plausible deniability.
This takes an interesting direction :)
Worth a thread spin-off like "SO Laundry - Tips & Tricks"

LouB

This takes an interesting direction :)
Worth a thread spin-off like "SO Laundry - Tips & Tricks"
Kinda new to the audio forums but it seems a lot threads not only here but all forums go off the rails quickly. A guy asks specific question about product X gets 1 or 2 replies about product X than countless posts about products A thru Z comparisons that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. Not a dig on posters comments as I learn a lot from the posts but just the nature of beast I guess.

BeeKay

Kinda new to the audio forums but it seems a lot threads not only here but all forums go off the rails quickly. A guy asks specific question about product X gets 1 or 2 replies about product X than countless posts about products A thru Z comparisons that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. Not a dig on posters comments as I learn a lot from the posts but just the nature of beast I guess.
True in general. And my apologies. But to my defense this maybe isn’t the most serious of all threads. No offense ;)

LouB

True in general. And my apologies. But to my defense this maybe isn’t the most serious of all threads. No offense ;)
I shoulda just kept my shut !
I'm meant no ill will & apologies. I absolutely took no offense at all. This is an open forum & I enjoy reading all the posts. I just notice coming from other "hobby" forums where the hobby's are more focused with not so variables as in the audio world. Like "whats best way to bleed my SRAM brakes on my Giant MTB" that might get ya 2-10 replies and 9 out the ten will tell you the same thing.
Sorry for my ignorance ! I'm learning.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I shoulda just kept my shut !
I'm meant no ill will & apologies. I absolutely took no offense at all. This is an open forum & I enjoy reading all the posts. I just notice coming from other "hobby" forums where the hobby's are more focused with not so variables as in the audio world. Like "whats best way to bleed my SRAM brakes on my Giant MTB" that might get ya 2-10 replies and 9 out the ten will tell you the same thing.
Sorry for my ignorance ! I'm learning.
Sure, but the Magura threads run longer!

dimedrol

Today Google led me to a Russian version of gearslutz/gearspace called rmmedia where I found folks - supposedly sound engineers - discussing drastic differences between professional XLR cables used as DAC/Speaker interconnects. Something along the lines of: "I threw away all my KLOTZ cables, they are garbage and now I use Canare/Sommers/whatever because they sound a lot better (tighter bass, cleaner mids, sparklier highs etc". And then one dude went on about how he couldn't figure out the source of the muddy sound of his system and that it ended up to be the surge protector.

I mean, if this happens to audio engineers, what can be done about it? People are gonna believe what they want to believe. And those with more money will keep on buying 4-figure finger-thick cables.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Today Google led me to a Russian version of gearslutz/gearspace called rmmedia where I found folks - supposedly sound engineers - discussing drastic differences between professional XLR cables used as DAC/Speaker interconnects. Something along the lines of: "I threw away all my KLOTZ cables, they are garbage and now I use Canare/Sommers/whatever because they sound a lot better (tighter bass, cleaner mids, sparklier highs etc". And then one dude went on about how he couldn't figure out the source of the muddy sound of his system and that it ended up to be the surge protector.

I mean, if this happens to audio engineers, what can be done about it? People are gonna believe what they want to believe. And those with more money will keep on buying 4-figure finger-thick cables.

I don't buy that surge protector story one bit.

dimedrol

I don't buy that surge protector story one bit.
me neither. I also can't hear any difference between my huge web of xlr interconnects. I even have some Van Den Hul cables, God forbid. Sound just like KLOTZ to me, but a lot less practical due to the thickness and sturdiness. I don't know, maybe my hearing is garbage, I do love the sound of my systems though and I enjoy it a lot.

M00NMAN

Anyone know if this is considered oil from the greedy snake?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are probably money laundering schemes for drug money. They essentially pay themselves, and function as a piggy bank.

If the business doesn't make sense, and it continues to exist despite the obvious problems, it's probably money laundering.
That might apply to so many major corporations...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oh! oh! oh!

I think we need to take up a collection and get one of these drop-shipped to @amirm to put through its paces!
I love it when millions of person-years of research and development have missed such profound breakthroughs. I mean, what would we do without companies like this?

1671589844107.png

Gotta be better than a box of dirt, right?

DonR

Major Contributor
oh! oh! oh!

I think we need to take up a collection and get one of these drop-shipped to @amirm to put through its paces!
I love it when millions of person-years of research and development have missed such profound breakthroughs. I mean, what would we do without companies like this?

View attachment 251422

Gotta be better than a box of dirt, right?
... and only $3K... bargain.

0800 Dub

I was going to create a thread called "Audio Esoterica" for forum members to collate products created based on esoteric / non-scientific concepts, but then I re-discovered this thread, and I realised that what I had in mind comes under its purview.

Here's my contribution:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to create a thread called "Audio Esoterica" for forum members to collate products created based on esoteric / non-scientific concepts, but then I re-discovered this thread, and I realised that what I had in mind comes under its purview.

Here's my contribution:

Definitely a bunch of snake oil stuff in there (Shun Mook etc). Not the MBL omni speakers though, which are quite a sophisticated engineering feat and can sound truly amazing.

ETA: As I've mentioned before, the fact any particular audiophile may fall for some of the woo-woo stuff in high end audio doesn't mean they can't arrive at a terrific sounding system. I've heard plenty of systems with some goofy tweaks (which I highly doubt contributed to the sound) but which sounded very impressive. I bet I'd probably find this fella's system sounds impressive too, despite the tweaky stuff.

Last edited:

A Cute Earring

Here's my contribution:

I like the flux capacitors on the speakers.

M00NMAN

Are these vibratron preventing offerings from isoacustics snake oil or anyone have used them?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these vibratron preventing offerings from isoacustics snake oil or anyone have used them?

I am trying them out now and they do seem to work.

Here’s my recent post describing the results:

If you want measurements, this fellow tested them and found measurable results:

Top Bottom