• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

" You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. "

L. Ron Hubbard. Who perhaps fits the bill as "all time snake oil salesman."

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I spent yesterday afternoon excitedly rewiring a old pair of homemade speakers with some Monster speaker cable that someone had thrown out at my local recycling center.

This 20 year old speaker cable has the same electrical properties as the $20k per meter esoteric cables. This Monster cable was the shit back in it's day. It has a patent number written on the wire jacket and sports a strand of mono-filament line in the center of the copper strands for a supposed beneficial dielectric property. I remember visiting BestBuy in the days and seeing that Monster "test center" where they had a A/B switch hooked up to a small spool of 12 gauge Monster and a large spool of 28 gauge generic wire. You could flip a switch and hear the difference between .01 ohms and 500 ohms of resistance.

egellings

Major Contributor
Your bike's not full Campy? Why, I'm not even going to bother to ride with you. Sniff!

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction.
First saw this on a wall in a bookstore/record store in B'burg when I was a student here 1969-1973. Spent many hours there perusing the shelves for books and the bins for LPs. LPs were beautiful back then, but I punted them ages ago and have no desire to go back to them though.

egellings

Major Contributor
I saw that expression on someone's T-shirt and it stuck with me. I enjoy LPs, as well as CD, FM radio and server-supplied music.

Ken1951

I enjoyed LPs for decades, but it just got to the point that I didn't feel like fooling with TTs and getting up and changing sides. But I do miss the artwork and the liner notes. Just lazy in my old age! Can truly understand those that still use them, particularly after collecting many hundreds, or indeed, thousands. And having music unavailable otherwise.

egellings

Major Contributor
The putzyness of TT's is part of their charm for those who like them. Of course, once the TT is set up, it does not require any special attendance-just spin the plastic & enjoy.

Katji

Major Contributor
Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction.
That sounds like an internet meme.
I've disliked it since it was invented. Maybe I finished one, I don't remember.
"Star Wars" and "Star Trek", I won't be so polite. ...I'm good at falling asleep with movies.

RobC91

Hey guys I'm new to the forum,

This thread is such a fun read! But the flames seem to have died down a little, let me add some fuel to the flame.

Introducing the ASI Sugar Cube (10 EURO/piece), and ASI Diffuser (30 EURO/piece)!

2.jpg

Here is some sales literature:

An ASI diffuser is a little sound body sandwich of two pieces of light maple with a washer of harder wood between. The body is hollowed out and a small hole connects the cavity to the outside. It is like a miniature Helmholtz resonator. Adjusting the alignment of the wood’s grain left or right from straight up hence the dot focuses the image.
At a budget-friendly price, the ASI sugar cubes are a very powerful room acoustic enhancer. It takes some effort to set up the grid but it gives the user unprecedented control over how the room responds as a major musical contributor.

Features

• Give frequencies extension (open) by turning the sugar cube ( noise filter )
  • Open by zone , turn slightly the left side sugar cube to left and right side to right only very few degree . Move slightly up or down of the center noise filter for sound balance .
  • Applications: All rooms.
  • Effect: Improved musicality, faster and more thrilling mode, more coherent spectrum.

Hope I did not fan the flames too strongly and burn myself with this one!

Ken1951

Hey guys I'm new to the forum,

This thread is such a fun read! But the flames seem to have died down a little, let me add some fuel to the flame.

Introducing the ASI Sugar Cube (10 EURO/piece), and ASI Diffuser (30 EURO/piece)!

View attachment 150002
Here is some sales literature:

An ASI diffuser is a little sound body sandwich of two pieces of light maple with a washer of harder wood between. The body is hollowed out and a small hole connects the cavity to the outside. It is like a miniature Helmholtz resonator. Adjusting the alignment of the wood’s grain left or right from straight up hence the dot focuses the image.
At a budget-friendly price, the ASI sugar cubes are a very powerful room acoustic enhancer. It takes some effort to set up the grid but it gives the user unprecedented control over how the room responds as a major musical contributor.

Features
  • Give frequencies extension (open) by turning the sugar cube ( noise filter )
  • Open by zone , turn slightly the left side sugar cube to left and right side to right only very few degree . Move slightly up or down of the center noise filter for sound balance .
  • Applications: All rooms.
  • Effect: Improved musicality, faster and more thrilling mode, more coherent spectrum.

Hope I did not fan the flames too strongly and burn myself with this one!
Holy mother McCree! Looks like somebody found a bunch of NOS Tinker-Toys!

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
PT Barnum was on to something. . .

Katji

Major Contributor
I wonder how much money he makes with these things. Enough, or is it just one of his sidelines, like Adsense revenue from his Youtube channel/s?
Obviously cheap to produce, maybe he finds it fun. Especially when he thinks of the suckers who might buy them. I mean maybe he's taking the piss.
I doubt he makes enough to pay for a new DAC to try each month...

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I admittedly haven’t listened to these, but $700+ fuses seems pretty startling to me.

Quantum Fuses

Last edited:

Anton S

I believe just about everything recommended by Millercarbon over on AudiogoN qualifies as extreme snake oil. This likely includes ALL of the ridiculous paraphernalia above, including Silly Science fuses... :cool:

Millercarbon quote: "I'm sorry people understand electricity so poorly they don't even know what a fuse is, or does, or why. Have yet to see the part of electricity they do understand. "Lethal voltage!" is about the extent of it. Not that it matters. Don't need to understand a thing, except that you put one of these fuses in and you better be prepared to have your mind blown."

:facepalm:

Ken1951

I believe just about everything recommended by Millercarbon over on AudiogoN qualifies as extreme snake oil. This likely includes ALL of the ridiculous paraphernalia above, including Silly Science fuses... :cool:

Millercarbon quote: "I'm sorry people understand electricity so poorly they don't even know what a fuse is, or does, or why. Have yet to see the part of electricity they do understand. "Lethal voltage!" is about the extent of it. Not that it matters. Don't need to understand a thing, except that you put one of these fuses in and you better be prepared to have your mind blown."

:facepalm:
All I know is that those fuses better come with a case of really nice wine!

egellings

Major Contributor
I wonder how many of those fuses they have sold. One of those fuses costs more than the equipment I would put it in.

Top Bottom