• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ APO Voltage clipping or frequency clipping

Voxreed

Hi,
i have question about eq apo. Can this software really destroy your speakers if you dont use preamp with boost on bass or mids, or preamp in this software can bring only frequency destruction and not destroy your drivers. Im just interested if it have voltage clipping. If yes, it really must be before you open software Warning be careful with preamp. Thank you

Katji

Major Contributor
It is not the software, per se, that can cause damage; it is a tool that can facilitate. Like firearms.

Anyway, i think it depends on volume /loudness/amplification, like always.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I believe the "preamp" built-into the equalizer is intended to be used as an attenuator (to prevent clipping of your DAC) rather than as an amplifier. i.e. If you have a +6dB EQ boost you can set the preamp to -6dB so it won't clip.

You won't destroy your speakers under "normal conditions". If it sounds OK it's probably safe...

Depending on your amplifier & speakers you may have enough power to burn-out your speakers. A 100W speaker is supposed to handle music or other program material that's hitting 100W on the peaks. But program material varies... highly-dynamic music has a lower average and less-dynamic music has a higher average, if they are both hitting the same peaks. And, you can't always trust the amplifier or speaker specs.

Also, there is normally less energy in the high frequencies so the tweeter doesn't have to handle as much power as the woofer & midrange. You can blow a tweeter in a 100W speaker with 100W test-tones. and, since your ears are not as-sensitive to high-frequencies it may not sound that loud, if you can hear at all.

Or if you were to over-boost the high frequencies you could burn-out-the tweeter, especially if you boost frequencies that are beyond your hearing range.

When you clip you are creating high frequencies Harmonic distortion) that don't exist in the regular program material. But, it doesn't add that much energy unless the clipping is very-bad so you probably won't like the sound, and even then the higher-harmonics are not as strong as the lower harmonics. Sometimes when you driver an amplifier into severe distortion it's the low frequencies that clip and a lot of the original high-frequencies are "lost" and you might even have and overall you can end-up reducing the high frequencies, that is... reduced compared to a higher-power amplifier that puts-out more power without clipping.

F

freemansteve

I think the defaults are set so the built-in pre-amp setting is at -5.8dB, to reduce the chance of anything alarming happening.

F

freemansteve

I'm not sure what this means, but the only thing that normally can be destroyed is speakers, with a powerful amp, or a less powerful one overdriving into clipping, but still exceeding the speakers.

I have actually physically blown the cones out - as in separated! - of some Infiniti speakers. When I say "I", I am being kind - it was my wife when there was a party. In fact the Infiniti's were rubbish and it gave me opportunity to upgrade the speakers in the kitchen, guilt-free!

OP
V

Voxreed

I believe the "preamp" built-into the equalizer is intended to be used as an attenuator (to prevent clipping of your DAC) rather than as an amplifier. i.e. If you have a +6dB EQ boost you can set the preamp to -6dB so it won't clip.

You won't destroy your speakers under "normal conditions". If it sounds OK it's probably safe...

Depending on your amplifier & speakers you may have enough power to burn-out your speakers. A 100W speaker is supposed to handle music or other program material that's hitting 100W on the peaks. But program material varies... highly-dynamic music has a lower average and less-dynamic music has a higher average, if they are both hitting the same peaks. And, you can't always trust the amplifier or speaker specs.

Also, there is normally less energy in the high frequencies so the tweeter doesn't have to handle as much power as the woofer & midrange. You can blow a tweeter in a 100W speaker with 100W test-tones. and, since your ears are not as-sensitive to high-frequencies it may not sound that loud, if you can hear at all.

Or if you were to over-boost the high frequencies you could burn-out-the tweeter, especially if you boost frequencies that are beyond your hearing range.

When you clip you are creating high frequencies Harmonic distortion) that don't exist in the regular program material. But, it doesn't add that much energy unless the clipping is very-bad so you probably won't like the sound, and even then the higher-harmonics are not as strong as the lower harmonics. Sometimes when you driver an amplifier into severe distortion it's the low frequencies that clip and a lot of the original high-frequencies are "lost" and you might even have and overall you can end-up reducing the high frequencies, that is... reduced compared to a higher-power amplifier that puts-out more power without clipping.
So you think this software can add voltage clipping and not just some frequency destruction to the sound. I tried to contact metal571 and he said it cannot destroy driver, because windows reduce it or something like that. same as on page i showed here.

Top Bottom