• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emerson Quartet plays Mendelssohn Octet

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks--interesting look and listen. I'll have to pick up the CD. The recording is quite old (2003), so I'm sure more complex productions are possible today, although I can't think of much in the way of source material that would benefit from that. My only quibble is with Mendelssohn, who wrote this when he was a teenager and probably gave generations of budding composers genius-envy and writer's block.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm listening to the recording on Primephonic and find the sound quality to be excellent. Very well recorded. Mendelssohn in general has never been one of my favorites, and I've heard all these pieces before. But the way Emerson plays them, I'm hearing new dimensions to this music.

Capitol C

Overdubbed or not, this is a remarkable piece of music.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you can enjoy it in multichannel, this one's a delight.
00943.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife loooves playing this piece with her chamber music buddies. It isn’t one of my favorites, though.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
My wife loooves playing this piece with her chamber music buddies. It isn’t one of my favorites, though.
Hard to see how you couldn't be enthusiastic about this burst of genius. However, if you listen to the last movement carefully, you'll see where young Felix borrowed a bit from Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I can't see how anyone could not love this joyful work. I do have the Emerson on the hard drive, but felt in a contrary mood and opted for the old combined Janacek and Smetana Quartets in this box:

71DuhHNDW6L._SL1200_.jpg

Still sounds great to my ears. Originally a Westminster recording, IIRC.

Top Bottom