• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ear Buds and IEM Buzz

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 3 sets of headphones. Grado SR 60, KRK KNS8400, and HE400SE. None of them buzz when plugged into my Parasound Halo integrated amp. However, the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and regular Apple earbuds both exhibit a constant buzz that’s present regardless of volume setting.

Any suggestions about what’s going on is appreciated. Thanks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm ignorant of 'phones vs buds.

Do you have to turn the volume way down when you change from 'phones to iem?

OP
jkasch

jkasch

Forum Donor
mains leakage on the parasound headphone out is constant, but the much more sensitive IEMs turn it into a lot higher SPL than your headphones.
Makes sense. Thanks. Surprised the difference goes from inaudible to annoying.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Makes sense. Thanks. Surprised the difference goes from inaudible to annoying.
You can use impedance adapters to decrease the mains hum at the expense of higher output impedance, which can affect the IEMs' frequency response.
Or you can try playing around with grounding, which might get rid of the buzz altogether.

OP
jkasch

jkasch

Forum Donor
You can use impedance adapters to decrease the mains hum at the expense of higher output impedance, which can affect the IEMs' frequency response.
Or you can try playing around with grounding, which might get rid of the buzz altogether.
I'm thinking that buying a Schitt Modi Heretic (currently $79 + shipping) might be the simplest and best solution.

Top Bottom