• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DX3 PRO (OG) and Fiio FH5'ss - Want to upgrade for under 2 grand, what are my options

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
So yeah title says it all, I'm running the original DX3 Pro along with some FH5 IEMs. I have a bit of an audio budget right now about 2 grand Canadian so I'm wondering if there's any DAC/AMP/Headphone (iem or cans) that would give me a noticeable upgrade.

I've been considering the balanced Schiit stack Magnius Modius and some Focal Clears if I can find them...

So yeah I always appreciate the feedback in this forum, so sanity check, should I even bother upgrading? If so, what should I look at. I like stuff with a bit of low end that can be worn for hours.
Thanks guys!!

lisgotan

The dx3 pro is already one of the very good ones around. I am not sure if spending 2k can get you more.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a DX3Pro currently and the only combo that sounded better with IEMs that I noticed was the Topping E50 and L30 II combo. The noise floor was flat black and just made everything even on 10ohm IEMs sound so good.
The Seeaudio Yume ii are excellent with big soundstage but slightly recessed mids which are easily correctible. The Sennheiser ie600 have better imaging but smaller soundstage and both are smooth and comfy to wear all day.
I'd focus on exactly what quality you want more from an IEM to avoid side grading.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
should I even bother upgrading?

Do you EQ the FH5's? If not, you should go down this route first before spending a large sum on new kit. An easy way to get access to sophisticated EQ and make the experience mobile would be to buy a Qudelix 5K which is on offer from Drop for $89 at the moment.

You could even buy yourself a balanced 2.5mm to MMCX cable for the FH5. The Tripowin ones are good and cheap...

Note: I used the FiiO LC-2.5B 2.5mm Balanced MMCX with my MEEAudio Pinnacle P1's for a while, but the cable discoloured and broke within a few months, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you use the Q5K on a PC with the Chrome add-in you get easy access to the AutoEQ settings for the FH5 (its the same on the Android and iPhone apps, it's just easier to play around with on a PC)...

1693040469031.png

The top result will give you this PEQ settings which you can then play around with or enjoy as they are...

1693040659485.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom