• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual driver subwoofer placement / room sim

boxerfan88

Hi ASR friends,

I need some advise.

I have the following subwoofer - Orisun DD+12 - which is a dual driver push-pull subwoofer.

The subwoofer is currently at the room corner with drivers aligned front-back, and I plan to move it to the middle of the front wall for better stereo integration.

Two questions that I have:

1. REW Room Sim -- do I have to config anything specific in REW to simulate a dual driver push-pull subwoofer?

2. When I move the subwoofer to the middle of the room, which alignment do you think should work better?
a. drivers facing front-back?
b. drivers facing sideways?

( I am thinking 2(b) because the main speakers are already facing front-back. )

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
2. When I move the subwoofer to the middle of the room, which alignment do you think should work better?
a. drivers facing front-back?
b. drivers facing sideways?
I would just very simply try 2a then measure (sweep) then try 2b and another sweep
Then compare the two in terms of frequency response, IR, waterfall, spectrogram + by ear as well
This way you are not ruling out anything but try both and get experience based on which you can make an informed decision

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
push-pull
Push-push, surely. :)

I have a similar subwoofer, with dual opposed drivers and the drivers move in together and out together, in theory, this cancels out the movement of the cabinet.

1. REW Room Sim -- do I have to config anything specific in REW to simulate a dual driver push-pull subwoofer? - Not as far as I'm aware.

2. With a sub, I suspect it doesn't matter as at low sub-bass frequencies, the wavelengths are very long and the sound is omnidirectional. The two drivers act as one larger driver of equivalent area. However, unless the subwoofer is well away from the wall, you wouldn't want one of the drivers facing the wall, so I'd align the drivers to the side.

Last edited:
OP
boxerfan88

boxerfan88

However, unless the subwoofer is well away from the wall, you wouldn't want one of the drivers facing the wall, so I'd align the drivers to the side.

That’s my constraint. The subwoofer will be bear the front wall. If aligned front-back then one driver will face the wall. If aligned sideways then both drivers will face open space.

As ppataki posted earlier, I should try both and measure the resulting FR, and choose whichever that works better.

neRok

You can "overlap" 2 subs in REW to simulate different things. If the drivers are in phase and time then it doesn't seem to change much.

subs.jpg

Top Bottom