• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT900 Pro X with Audient iD14 MK2?

ramtinz

Hi, I have really liked this headphone and the Audient iD14 MK2 audio interface, however, the headphone's impedance is 48 Ohms and the output impedance of the interface for headphones is 22.1 Ohms (at 1KHz). Have anyone tried this pair? Do you think it would be a very bad pair for mixing?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the headphones and they're really good. The output impedance on the interface would have to be 1/8th the ohm rating of the headphones or the sound changes for the worse. The cheap fix would be a resistor plug like thus:

They're really easy to drive, your interface has the power, just a bad match up for output impedance. Ideally a JDS Atom amplifier is $80 used typically, then all doors are open for nice headphones and clean power.

LoyK

You can see what the output impedance will do to the frequency response in this review from @solderdude : DT 900 Pro X on DIY-Audio-Heaven

It will get a bit warmer sound but I think you should try it for yourself OR add a dedicated headphone amplifier with <1 Ohm output impedance. I think for music listening it could actually sound quite pleasant.

Top Bottom