• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSD to PCM Conversion

Zog

I have a lot of DSD files. I have converted some of them to PCM using Foobar2000. I have two questions I hope you guys can chip in with. The first: Is there any sonic benefit to doing this?
Second, is there any other software that does this?
(I am not interested in the space saving from a conversion from DSD to FLAC. Also, different tagging is not important.)

Leiker535

Aside from storage, there is the benefit of being able to apply digital EQ that wouldn't be possible if you did direct streaming, but I think that's it. DSD purists will say that converting to PCM defeats the entire purpose of the format (I'm not considering the possible different masters used), as it is meant to be a bit perfect "solution".

Other software I use to convert DSD to PCM is Musicbee, but I think Foobar2000, when configured correctly, may offer more options. I just personally prefer Musicbee's interface and the way it gets rid of the gigaton original DSD rip file automatically (If it set it to do so).

dartinbout

Why? Do you not have a DAC capable of playing these natively? If not get one. By my pretty basic understanding, the cheapest Topping (or most chi-fi) will play these wonderfully. Just use ASR electronics index to pick a relatively new one. Pay no attention to the throngs of naysayers, in regards to DSD. You already have the files, just enjoy them. Storage is cheap (and likely to get vastly cheaper). If you must listen to the ravens of audio purity, just accumulate new music in the format you like best.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The first: Is there any sonic benefit to doing this?
You can't "improve" the sound and I'm not an expert but I believe that's always mathematically imperfect and not perfectly-mathematically reversible. The formats have different limitations but both can be better than human hearing.

And it can be an audibly perfect conversion and a "normal DAC" requires conversion to PCM anyway.

Most DSD recordings were originally recorded and mixed in PCM. 24/96 PCM is the default pro studio standard. Most ADCs are 24-bits and virtually all DAWs (and other audio software) uses floating-point PCM (at whatever sample rate that matches the recording).

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Technically converting DSD to PCM is lossy but the loss is so small. There's also the fact that most DSD recordings are just DXD. In terms of sonics, some DSD albums have lots of high volume noise above 30khz which can kill your speakers faster, even if its been converted to PCM. Luckily its real easy to install filters on the software and use filters on the hardware side to defend your self against the noise but If your still worried about it, you could convert your DSD albums down to 44.1/16, 44.1/24, 48/16 or 48/24.

In the future, if your ever worried about space, you could convert your DSD albums to WavPack DSD which cuts the size in half losslessly.

OP
Zog

Zog

Technically converting DSD to PCM is lossy but the loss is so small. There's also the fact that most DSD recordings are just DXD. In terms of sonics, some DSD albums have lots of high volume noise above 30khz which can kill your speakers faster, even if its been converted to PCM. Luckily its real easy to install filters on the software and use filters on the hardware side to defend your self against the noise but If your still worried about it, you could convert your DSD albums down to 44.1/16, 44.1/24, 48/16 or 48/24.
That's another point. What is the best sample rate? My tweeters are rated to 50Khz (Magico A3). I have been going to 24 88. But 24 48 could be a good option too. Is it a concern that 48Khz is not directly divisible into 88Khz?
I should have mentioned that my DAC (Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro) can play DSD directly via USB (and by DoP via USB and I²S - though I don't see much point in that.)

Zek

Major Contributor
My tweeters are rated to 50Khz (Magico A3). I have been going to 24 88
You've obviously mixed up the frequency range of the tweeter with the sampling rate of the audio file. These two values have nothing in common.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
That's another point. What is the best sample rate? My tweeters are rated to 50Khz (Magico A3). I have been going to 24 88. But 24 48 could be a good option too. Is it a concern that 48Khz is not directly divisible into 88Khz?
I should have mentioned that my DAC (Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro) can play DSD directly via USB (and by DoP via USB and I²S - though I don't see much point in that.)
I would say it depends on the music. Some DSD albums are just converts from CDs while some DSD albums have actual data over 24khz. Then there's that whole debate about music affecting our bodies even above our hearing range.

The way you convert to PCM matters more then what frequency/sample rate you use.

OP
Zog

Zog

You've obviously mixed up the frequency range of the tweeter with the sampling rate of the audio file. These two values have nothing in common.
You have obviously mixed up being informative with being insulting. What is wrong with you man?

Top Bottom