• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drummers you can't mistake

Shiva

This guy's drumming is hard to forget, though you may want to.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Barefoot percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie

The trouble with dame Evelyn is that she's mistakable for any great drummer. She can do them all, and still be herself.

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
I’d throw Art Blakey on the list. I’m still not a “jazz” guy. But always appreciated his take on things

Réidh

Charlie Watts bedrock for the Rolling Stones

Stanton Moore versatile with projects in many genres- does interesting work as an educator and in the design of percussion instruments - I like what he does with the Stanton Moore trio

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have two very obvious choices

karen carpenter and roger taylor (queen)

roger taylor of duran duran i got no opinion... except to say i quite like duran duran

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We all think of Bill Bruford in the context of the classic Yes lineup, but Alan White was certainly no slouch. And I think he was a better concert rock drummer than Bruford, despite Bruford’s unending polyrhythmic versatility. White hit as hard as Carl Palmer.

And did I miss the mention of Carl Palmer? It’s hard to tell if he’s got his own unique sound when it is overlaying Keith Emerson. “Yup, that’s Carl Palmer.” Who else would it be?

And one of my favorites over the years is Tony Fernandez, who played for Rick Wakeman in the English Rock Ensemble for decades. It’s no easy thing holding the stage with that level of over-the-top virtuosity and goofy showmanship, but he did it. Listen to what he adds to, say, Catherine Parr, which has been recorded live with Fernandez on many occasions. When I’ve heard Wakeman play with other drummers, I’ve missed Fernandez’s particular style.

Rick “knows what he likes” Denney

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody said Roy Haynes; seven decades and played with every legend in Jazz.

GeorgeWalk

Edgar Winter Group playing Frankenstein, live. Edgar plays three instruments including the drums. There are two good sections were Edgar and the drummer, Chuck Ruff, are doing a call and response on the drums.

Emlin

Edgar Winter Group playing Frankenstein, live. Edgar plays three instruments including the drums. There are two good sections were Edgar and the drummer, Chuck Ruff, are doing a call and response on the drums.
A shameless ripoff of Hocus Pocus by Focus, but still a good track, and Pierre van der Linden has already been referenced, so okay, but an unmistakable drummer?

Last edited:

manisandher

DMill

Forum Donor
We all think of Bill Bruford in the context of the classic Yes lineup, but Alan White was certainly no slouch. And I think he was a better concert rock drummer than Bruford, despite Bruford’s unending polyrhythmic versatility. White hit as hard as Carl Palmer.

And did I miss the mention of Carl Palmer? It’s hard to tell if he’s got his own unique sound when it is overlaying Keith Emerson. “Yup, that’s Carl Palmer.” Who else would it be?

And one of my favorites over the years is Tony Fernandez, who played for Rick Wakeman in the English Rock Ensemble for decades. It’s no easy thing holding the stage with that level of over-the-top virtuosity and goofy showmanship, but he did it. Listen to what he adds to, say, Catherine Parr, which has been recorded live with Fernandez on many occasions. When I’ve heard Wakeman play with other drummers, I’ve missed Fernandez’s particular style.

Rick “knows what he likes” Denney
Bruford was great, but Alan White was equally great in his own right. To me it was like replacing John Lennon with Mick jagger. There are no wrong answers here. Btw, he was the drummer on Imagine, which I’m sure most know. I say all this as a self-admitted Yes geek who grew up thinking they were the most talented band ever. Thank you for mentioning him.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Speaking of Bill Bruford, 2 things:

1. Check out his YouTube channel, he's been uploading lots of wonderful live recording clips with huge, compelling stories in descriptions: https://youtube.com/@BillBruford

2. (Through the above) I stumbled upon a fascinating interview with Robert Fripp and David Singleton, where they speak about their experiences with drummers - Michael Giles, Jamie Muir, Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison and of course Bill B. Such a great, honest insight: https://www.dgmlive.com/in-depth/fripp-singleton-on-drumming

Top Bottom