• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dongles: 9038S V3, Hidezs S9 Pro, Meizu HiFi, Qudelix K5

wacomme

Which of these dac dongles would you choose for which situation?

1. Mobile use, android
  2. Mobile use, iPhone
  3. PC or Mac without software EQ
  4. PC or Mac with software EQ
  5. Hard to drive headphones
  6. Low impedance IEMs

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which of these dac dongles would you choose for which situation?

1. Mobile use, android
  2. Mobile use, iPhone
  3. PC or Mac without software EQ
  4. PC or Mac with software EQ
  5. Hard to drive headphones
  6. Low impedance IEMs
1. If you mean fully wired from phone to ear the meizu (becomes part of the cable rather than a box dangling from your phone), but the q5k otherwise
2.no idea
3. Q5k (only one gives eq)
4. Whichever cheapest and has right outputs and power for what you're connecting, you don't say the use case when connecting to a computer
5. Assuming you can run headphones balanced, the 9038S
6.s9 but again you don't state the use case and other equipment.

The only device that would cover all those use cases for me is the q5k by the way. Its a no brainer multi function device with its eq ability . Especially if you can run your harder to drive headphones into 2.5mm balanced. The 9038s is limited due to only having 2.5mm balanced so you can't use as a DAC to a bigger desktop amp. It will play nicely with any iem or headphone within reason though and is damn good.

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

The 9038s is limited due to only having 2.5mm balanced so you can't use as a DAC to a bigger desktop amp. It will play nicely with any iem or headphone within reason though and is damn good.
How so? I don't understand what you mean by connecting to a bigger desktop amp. I presume one could use SE cables with the 9038s with a 2.5mm adapter. Is the 9038s preferred to the S9 for desktop use with computer software EQ? The downside to the 9038s, though not for the S9, is using low impedance IEM's, correct?

Besides wanting to see what situation is best for each of these devices, I'm trying to determine if I need another dongle. I have the Qudelix 5K. It'll be great for mobile use with my iPhone since I cannot get EQ otherwise. But I was also wanting to use a dongle for work connected to a PC with EQ software. Here, the Qudelix is probably lacking a bit, though right now I'm only driving HD560S headphones.

Where does the Meizu HiFi fit into the mix? Besides a great price, would it be ideal for any particular situation?

Michael

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Qudelix really is the best option, as previously mentioned. If your headphones are truly hard to drive, adding a NX7 or paying a premium for Gryphon as a all-in-one would be the enxt step up (NX7 twice as powerful, though).

Since you mention it, the Gryphon also has some kind of impedance matching feature, but I've never looked into it so I cant comment on it's intended use or actual effectiveness. It's predecessor xCann is 1/2 the cost and has most of the same features.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I presume one could use SE cables with the 9038s with a 2.5mm adapter.
One cannot. Such an adapter will kill the 9038S.
The downside to the 9038s, though not for the S9, is using low impedance IEM's, correct?
Not correct. The downside to the 9038S is using high sensitivity IEMS.
Where does the Meizu HiFi fit into the mix? Besides a great price, would it be ideal for any particular situation?
The Meizu HiFi is ideal for when you want the least amount of noise possible.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

For my use - mostly at work with SENN HD560s headphones connected to a PC with software EQ - maybe the Q5K isn't the best choice. The 9038S or S9 may be the better choice. And the S9 seems to be the better choice with 3.5 and 2.5mm headphone jacks. Does that seem reasonable?

My mobile use is mostly with sports - skiing, hiking, weights, hill repeats, etc. I'm currently using old KSC75 earphones for that purpose. Today I connected my Q5k to the Koss earphones, and the EQ did help. BUT - I'm using bluetooth and an iPhone - not high quality audio. I could make a wired connection to my phone (I have the camera adapter), but for sport use it gets in the way. I'm trying to find a high audio quality solution for sports; even if I'm breathing hard I'd like to listen to good sound. I'm seeking better headphones (probably durable IEMs - thinking Aria's, but maybe something bluetooth [ugh]). So, I need to ask - is the Q5k a useful dac/amp for my sport audio needs? With IEMs and an ACC bluetooth connection, is EQ alone worth the price of the Q5K? I wish I had LDAC, but my family lives in an Apple world.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the Qudelix with my DCA Stealth via unbalanced connection, LDAC 606/660 into a CEntrance Ampersand. Sounds pretty darn good to me. It's a bit of time, but you may want to review below. Your wallet will thank you

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Yes. I think the Q5K is a keeper for mobile use, especially sports. Though, for that setup, I often will connect the Q5K to the iem cable (currently trying out 7Hz Timeless), use EQ, and use my iPhone via bluetooth. The sound isn't "ideal", but the setup is quite portable and unencumbered. Using the camera cable to my iPhone is much better sound, but for sport use it's unwieldy.

But now I need a dac/amp for work to use with my HD560s headphones? I can use the Q5K, taking it with me as I leave work daily, but it might be nice to have a dongle, or cheap amp/dac to leave setup for work - connected to a PC that has EQ software. Suggestions? Would the Meizu HiFi suffice? It's cheap. Would I be better served with something better? At home I use a L50 amp and DO100 dac.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes the Meizu HiFi would suffice. It can output 2Vrms, which will drive the 560S to about 114dB SPL peak, which is very loud.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Yes the Meizu HiFi would suffice. It can output 2Vrms, which will drive the 560S to about 114dB SPL peak, which is very loud.
Thank you. While other dongles have better overall analysis numbers than the Meizu (e.g., S9), would I hear a difference? Are those differences perceptible to the human ear? In other words, would I be better served with a different dongle or amp/dac setup than the Meizu HiFi for my work setup (PC with EQ, and 560S HP)? If so, what are some inexpensive recommendations that take little space?

Top Bottom