• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Silent Sound Presentation System work, how and why would it work or not?

Here is the link to the patent about Silent Sound Presentation System: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5159703A/en

According to conspiracy theory websites, it is also called S-Quad or Voice of God and it has been used by US military in war against Iraqis in the 1990s with Iraqi soldiers willingly surrendering after being exposed to it.

Since this sub-forum is psychoacoustics: science of how we hear, I think this topic is suitable in this forum, is there any possibility of this silent sound presentation system to be true, if yes, how are we humans supposed to comprehend message in frequency range which they either don't have sensitivity to or lost sensitivity to?

According to patent, an ultrasound carrier is modulated with a message, patent uses the example of 14.5KHz, although not ultrasound, it is believed that humans loose sensitivity to that frequency as they get older, this is played through speakers and human ear response curve demodulates the message and passes on to the sub-conscious mind. The conscious mind doesn't hear anything. Is this possible? What is the mechanism in play?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Here is the link to the patent about Silent Sound Presentation System: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5159703A/en

According to conspiracy theory websites, it is also called S-Quad or Voice of God and it has been used by US military in war against Iraqis in the 1990s with Iraqi soldiers willingly surrendering after being exposed to it.

Since this sub-forum is psychoacoustics: science of how we hear, I think this topic is suitable in this forum, is there any possibility of this silent sound presentation system to be true, if yes, how are we humans supposed to comprehend message in frequency range which they either don't have sensitivity to or lost sensitivity to?

According to patent, an ultrasound carrier is modulated with a message, patent uses the example of 14.5KHz, although not ultrasound, it is believed that humans loose sensitivity to that frequency as they get older, this is played through speakers and human ear response curve demodulates the message and passes on to the sub-conscious mind. The conscious mind doesn't hear anything. Is this possible? What is the mechanism in play?
Consider that you are asking questions about a patent that's only referenced in conspiracy theories. You mention an anecdote about the Gulf War, and describe the claim of the device, and ask how it could work. Why would you ask about the mechanism if there is no evidence of the device being made or used?

Look up VLF radio transmission (not conspiracy stuff, the academic literature). Some of it operates in the audible range. There is no evidence, despite the technology being used for a century, of audible demodulation. For you to hear VLF radio it needs to be connection to a playback system and a speaker. The body has no such gear attached.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
S
Consider that you are asking questions about a patent that's only referenced in conspiracy theories. You mention an anecdote about the Gulf War, and describe the claim of the device, and ask how it could work. Why would you ask about the mechanism if there is no evidence of the device being made or used?

Look up VLF radio transmission (not conspiracy stuff, the academic literature). Some of it operates in the audible range. There is no evidence, despite the technology being used for a century, of audible demodulation. For you to hear VLF radio it needs to be connection to a playback system and a speaker. The body has no such gear attached.
Your reasoning may be good but you are mixing up mechanical waves with radio waves, sound is a mechanical wave which is audible to healthy humans between frequencies 20Hz to 20KHz, whereas VLF is a radio wave, which is not audible, even if it's frequency range is between 20Hz to 20KHz. Now depending on the signal strength, it may have thermoelastic effect on auditory system but that would be a byproduct not the direct cause.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I saw something on TV once that indirectly relates to subliminals... The bottom line is that if you don't notice something it never "gets into your brain" or into your memory. For example, if you don't notice what color shoes your wife (or mother) was wearing this morning, you're NEVER going to "remember" no matter how hard you try and you can't bring it out with hypnosis, etc. Or if the TV is on and you're not paying attention when they announce the sports scores.... You "heard it" but if you were not paying attention you'll never remember.

The example I remember from the TV show was they "flashed" a familiar picture (maybe the Mona Lisa) for a few seconds (maybe several seconds) and then they asked the subjects if they noticed anything unusual. (They weren't told to look for anything unusual in advance.) There was a UFO in the corner of the picture (not super-small or hidden or subliminal) and as far as I remember nobody noticed it. But the main thing is, if they didn't notice they couldn't "remember" and they were surprised when they were shown the picture again, this time looking for something unusual.

But... Does my "avatar" make you hungry? :D :D :D

Newman

Major Contributor

JSmith

Master Contributor
The bottom line is that if you don't notice something it never "gets into your brain" or into your memory.
Hmm... maybe not into the conscious mind, but I would suggest the subconscious mind records all stimuli, basically a data bank.
But... Does my "avatar" make you hungry? :D
Yeah every time I see it it makes me feel like a god damn burger...

giphy.gif

... it looks like a very tasty burger! :cool:

JSmith

Top Bottom