• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does DSD sound better than PCM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you saying you don't understand the point of snake oil?

Miska

Audio Company
Sorry I just cannot agree and not based on my personal preference. If there is genuinely no difference then please explain why DSD is used when as I've pointed out it's a pain in the arse - sorry, unwieldy to work with - or do the exponents of it simply enjoy the hassle and losing money?

It is not so much about the format itself, but instead how converters operate. There are quite a bunch of side-effects from SDM-PCM-SDM back and forth rate conversions. If you look for example how 192k PCM output from most ADCs look like it is just like it would have been converted to 192k PCM from 6.1 MHz DSD128. Because that's pretty much how it is. And if the ADC chip happens to be for example TI's PCM4202/PCM4204 then that is exactly what has happened.

Using DSD allows simplifying the digital path, but at the cost of extra work at production time.

andymok

Ah now I see why there's no response. Here is the whole discussion, which I find it extremely interesting, very technical (to me), explains a lot. Strongly recommend

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...nd-location-recording/30990-dsd-wdsd-dxd.html

So I was researching and found this interesting writing from 12 years ago

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=1712442&postcount=30

Further responses regarding DXD and DSD can be found in #34-35, 47, 51, (101, 104, 115)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...nd-location-recording/30990-dsd-wdsd-dxd.html
The main advantage of high sampling rate is however not the wider frequency band itself since we can not hear frequencies above 20 KHz.

should you care about how different DAWs handles DSD, see #10 as well
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=305114&postcount=10

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't see why, or as per my comment made about recording engineers preferring to work in DSD why do they bother? - it makes no sense to have to work with bigger files, more cpu power, bigger download storage costs etc I simply do not believe it's because they consider they can massively increase their revenue (wow $5 more... )
What percentage of recording engineers prefer to work in DSD?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least I don't have a problem streaming DSD512 over WiFi. And it is not so different in the end. For example if you send from HQPlayer to a NAA 192k PCM stream it consumes 6.144 Mbps per channel. A bit less than 5.6448 Mbps of DSD128. Likewise, 352.8k PCM consumes same amount of bandwidth as DSD256 and 705.6k PCM same amount of bandwidth as DSD512...

Not using NAA. But, HQPlayer accessing files from NAS over WiFi couldn't handle DSD256, but had no problems with 192k PCM.

John Deas

I don’t have enough information to comment on the beliefs or motivations of people in the industry, but restricting my opinion to technical grounds, either format is easily capable of performing beyond the limits of what humans are capable of hearing.

Your personal preference may be based on suboptimal performance of devices you’ve listened to, psychological factors (which we are all prey to), slight level differences between devices or the same device replaying different formats (which we tend to perceive as sound quality differences) or, most likely, differences in mastering decisions by the engineers who created the recordings you’ve listened to.

Well I have taken the time to speak to people in the industry who do this for their livelihood and have many years experience of working with analog, PCM and DSD recordings and the overall impression I have is what I've already stated.
I'm totally well aware of all the factors you list believe me but my personal experience and therefore preference at this time is that the DSD recordings I have - even if the music is not my favourite genre - simply sound.....better. Can't say more.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm totally well aware of all the factors you list believe me but my personal experience and therefore preference at this time is that the DSD recordings I have - even if the music is not my favourite genre - simply sound.....better.

No argument with your preference, just not at all convinced your preference comes down to to any real technical difference between the formats :)

Miska

Audio Company
Not using NAA. But, HQPlayer accessing files from NAS over WiFi couldn't handle DSD256, but had no problems with 192k PCM.

That may be related to something else than just bitrate. 192k PCM was FLAC or some uncompressed (WAV/AIFF)? We are not talking about any huge amount of bandwidth here...

Miska

Audio Company
What percentage of recording engineers prefer to work in DSD?

You can take a look at nativedsd.com for example. But one could also ask what percentage of mastering engineers don't participate in loudness wars and push PCM productions to heavy compression and digital clipping...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be related to something else than just bitrate. 192k PCM was FLAC or some uncompressed (WAV/AIFF)? We are not talking about any huge amount of bandwidth here...

11.28m * 2 = 21.5Mb/s for DSD256
192k * 24 * 2 = 8.8Mb/s for PCM192

So, almost 3x the sustained bandwidth required, even before compression in FLAC (most of my files are compressed FLAC).

Miska

Audio Company
11.28m * 2 = 21.5Mb/s for DSD256
192k * 24 * 2 = 8.8Mb/s for PCM192

So, almost 3x the sustained bandwidth required, even before compression in FLAC (most of my files are compressed FLAC).

21.5 Mbps is very little for anything remotely modern... You'd have trouble watching 4K videos too, for example Netflix is sending about the same as your DSD256 for heavily compressed 4K video over the internet! Use something like GoPro in pro-video 4K mode and you'll have much more. For comparison, this video gives me around 38 Mbps when there is full area movement (camera pans and such):
Working perfectly fine for me over my 4G internet connection...

For HQPlayer NAA, PCM is always sent out as 32-bit regardless how many bits of it are used. So it is 192k * 32 * 2 = 12.288 Mbps.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
21.5 Mbps is very little for anything remotely modern... You'd have trouble watching 4K videos too, for example Netflix is sending about the same as your DSD256 for heavily compressed 4K video over the internet! Use something like GoPro in pro-video 4K mode and you'll have much more. For comparison, this video gives me around 38 Mbps when there is full area movement (camera pans and such):
Working perfectly fine for me over my 4G internet connection...

For HQPlayer NAA, PCM is always sent out as 32-bit regardless how many bits of it are used. So it is 192k * 32 * 2 = 12.288 Mbps.

PCM is sent as file bytes when accessed from NAS, so definitely not 32 bits per sample. And 4K video streaming works fine over exactly the same wireless repeater as the one used for audio duties.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can take a look at nativedsd.com for example. But one could also ask what percentage of mastering engineers don't participate in loudness wars and push PCM productions to heavy compression and digital clipping...
Well maybe, I find a lot of pop music has excreable SQ only suited to listening on earbuds or in cars, and even then not nice.
I was genuinely interested in whether there really is a significant number of recording engineers genuinely using this technique because it actually sounds better.

Nobody seems to know, and I suppose it is unknowable for sure.

I, personally, don't hear any difference between 2 files, one original 96/24 and the other the same file downsized to 44/16 then re-calculated to 96/24 so the DAC treats both files in the same way. Since tagging ripped files bores me I am largely back on CDs.

The fact is that the difference in the recording quality of music releases is massively bigger than the difference between different bits of hardware and file sizes and types and is sort of independent of the technology IME.

Yesterday I listened to a new (to me) CD of Elgar's "The Dream of Gerontius" recorded in 1965, digitally mastered in 1999. The sound quality is absolutely fabulous.
I have yet to see any plausible evidence that the recording technology is the limiting factor in SQ of music releases, I wait with bated breath.

Miska

Audio Company
The fact is that the difference in the recording quality of music releases is massively bigger than the difference between different bits of hardware and file sizes and types and is sort of independent of the technology IME.

As I referred earlier, the process of making a recording also matters, for example using DSD enforces certain ways or at least promotes certain ways.

So possibly in many cases RedBook made from a DSD recording may sound better than one made with typical PCM hardware and ProTools. Different converters also sound different too, Grimm AD1 sounds different from Merging Hapi. Same goes for different "PCM" ADCs (that are all SDM devices).

I still have no problem hearing difference between RedBook conversion of DSD recording vs DSD recording played as DSD.

After the Pacific Microsonics Model One and Two I have not seen any actual PCM ADCs being sold for pro audio. So most of todays "PCM recordings" originate from SDM anyway.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I referred earlier, the process of making a recording also matters, for example using DSD enforces certain ways or at least promotes certain ways.

So possibly in many cases RedBook made from a DSD recording may sound better than one made with typical PCM hardware and ProTools. Different converters also sound different too, Grimm AD1 sounds different from Merging Hapi. Same goes for different "PCM" ADCs (that are all SDM devices).

I still have no problem hearing difference between RedBook conversion of DSD recording vs DSD recording played as DSD.

After the Pacific Microsonics Model One and Two I have not seen any actual PCM ADCs being sold for pro audio. So most of todays "PCM recordings" originate from SDM anyway.
I must be lucky. The first time I heard a recorder where the output was indistinguishable to my ears from the microphone feed on the sort of music I record(ed) was the StellaDAT.
I easily hear the differences between different microphones, and the even more marked differences between microphone locations, but to my ears even early ADCs were transparent enough for me - simple classical music recordings of orchestras and choirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom