• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Anybody use just SAMBA for streaming?

MOCKBA

My router has an embedded SAMBA server. It was very convenient for many years. But relatively recently, Linux stopped support of SAMBA protocol version 1 and Windows disabled it too. I have another streaming server on RPi, and it works well since uses HTTP. What type of server people use for streaming nowadays?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Samba worked well with Sonos, but I no longer own any Sonos equipment. DNLA is supported by my Marantz AVR, so that's what I use (TwonkyMedia as implemented by QNAP).

Last edited:

nerdstrike

I mount my music onto my work laptop via router's built in SAMBA (at least until WFH comes to an end). I tried and failed to get VLC to do a decent job of pulling the music via DLNA. The music played fine, but I'd get odd skips over the start of tracks and setting up playlist was horrible. VLC seems to work a whole lot better with a mounted file system.

I'm currently trying to do the same with chromecast/airplay/whatever to the Amplifier but that's not straight forward. I probably need to find a better app for my phone. Kodi/Kore do a better job, but obviously I can't run a Kodi server on my router and my pi3b has a different destiny.

Frankly, I'm utterly appalled at the state of the software surrounding our so-carefully chosen audio equipment. If isn't tied to a subscription service or built into a pretty expensive streamer appliance, it's probably not going to work that well!

MiLi

A combination of MoOde audio on RPI4 connected to Synology NAS by SAMBA is working well. Tested combination.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Samba on my Mac to provide access to my media storage drive.

sailor2005

FYI You can re-enable SAMBA in Windows 10. Hard drive is connected to a TP-Link router.

rkbates

Forum Donor
Try something like this in your fsab file to force recognition of v1
//Pi/hts /home/rob/HTS cifs vers=1.0,user,uid=1000,rw,suid,credentials=/etc/credentials2 0 0

lealoureiro

Forum Donor
I use SAMBA protocol to share files from my Linux server to my Windows and Mac clients. Also VLC apps in iOS/Android can access it. I guess still included as part Ubuntu distributions: smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
SMB still is alive and well, it's just the support for SMBv1 that's been increasing phased out due to it being considered a security risk. If possible, use a version of SAMBA capable of SMBv2 at least (3.6 and higher, preferably 4.0 up), which should work just fine with modern operating systems. SMBv2 was introduced with Windows Vista, so it's been a while. (Apparently SAMBA has been shipping with SMBv1 disabled by default since 4.11 in 2019.)

A potential issue is that NetBIOS discovery has been turned off with SMBv1 and SAMBA does not seem to implement its official replacement WSD, so the server may end up not being listed despite being very much accessible. Having a DNS server you can manually add entries to may prove helpful if you don't fancy accessing the server via its IP.

threni

Major Contributor
Having a DNS server you can manually add entries to may prove helpful if you don't fancy accessing the server via its IP.

One thing that's worth trying is - instead of specifying an IP address or adding entries to the DNS server manually - just trying appending .local to the hostname.

Top Bottom