• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

• Yes

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 75.2%

• Total voters

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
l will sometimes apply the term to myself, but usually not if I can avoid it, and always with qualification and explanation.

The common concept of an audiophile is someone who spends stupid amounts of money on audio gear and/or engages in absurd rituals to improve sound quality (cable lifters, etc), so I really want to avoid being associated with that side of it.

Talking to people who are not interested in audio, it's easier to say "I'm interested in speakers and audio and stuff".

Multicore

Major Contributor
doesn't mean we should...
*shrugs

:p
There's a lot of things one might reasonably argue we shouldn't do so often.

What interests me about this thread is the wide range of meanings people get from the word, some of which are entirely incongruent.

When I try to be fair and detached about it I think that in common usage the word means to someone who practices a consumer hobby, usually in their own home. So I don't accept the "connoisseur of sound" although that may also be true. Pedantic recourse to etymology doesn't rescue the word.

On the other hand, I don't accept the implications of foolishness, pseudo-scientific beliefs, guru worship, and so on.

To me an audiophile is someone who is into fancy or high performance home audio reproduction gear more or less for its own sake. For example, when Amir wrote

I have been a fan of the industrial design of Bricasti audio products since I first saw them. They remind me of Mark Levinson designs (I believe the industrial designer is the same). While a bit old fashioned with that dot matrix display, it still screams "high-end" to me.

Now that's what I call audiophile!

I want to distance myself from certain values that seem to me to be associated with audiophile practice but not from what performant gear can do for me or what I can usefully learn from the bodies of knowledge associated with audiophile commerce.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
There's a lot of things one might reasonably argue we shouldn't do so often.

What interests me about this thread is the wide range of meanings people get from the word, some of which are entirely incongruent.

When I try to be fair and detached about it I think that in common usage the word means to someone who practices a consumer hobby, usually in their own home. So I don't accept the "connoisseur of sound" although that may also be true. Pedantic recourse to etymology doesn't rescue the word.

On the other hand, I don't accept the implications of foolishness, pseudo-scientific beliefs, guru worship, and so on.

To me an audiophile is someone who is into fancy or high performance home audio reproduction gear more or less for its own sake. For example, when Amir wrote

Now that's what I call audiophile!

I want to distance myself from certain values that seem to me to be associated with audiophile practice but not from what performant gear can do for me or what I can usefully learn from the bodies of knowledge associated with audiophile commerce.
I get it. And I don't disagree. ;)

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I do. But it should be understood that "audiophile" really means lover of sound. So, the true meaning is not just attached to electronic means of enjoyment but includes the love of sounds made without electronic intervention. Playing music with others is an audiophile passion, so is going to concerts. As long as one remembers that, there's nothing potentially pejorative about the term.
It should mean that, just in my mind the term has sadly been completely subverted and hijacked by the pesky influencers. The thing that's actually most annoying is a large part of the audio industry is culpable as well.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because so many indulge in this commonplace activity of listening to and some recording and fewer performing music, there is shared experience. Those who try to perfect it in earnest are subjected to those who see it as status, as profitable or intellectually defining pastime. Many have some or even all those qualities associated with their own interests but reject certain notions held by others. ASR was devised to scientifically measure input verses output on many playback devices and share the data. As others have mentioned and rarely discussed here are recording techniques and gear and recordings themselves where the most is to be gained in realism of the actual music and venue. Playing music is almost never discussed. These primary activities are audiophile activities of the highest order. I think asking many here if they are audiophiles means how much time and energy they spend with adjusting, measuring, upgrading and enhancing their payback gear and rooms to minimize distortion regardless of the source and quality of that source. Particularly irksome to most ASR devotees is anything that shows little or no measured accuracy especially if it has a very high price tag.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

I think the word is fine, but I avoid the term because of the reactions you are seeing here: it means different things with different connotations to different people. If I say that's a hobby of mine to somebody, how do I know if the other person knows what I meant, or at least what I want it to mean? Instead I just call myself an audio and music enthusiast when I talk about my hobby. If the word audiophile comes up, I just contextualize my own experience.
Totally get that. Personally it makes me cringe a little every time I hear the word just through it's being hijacked by absolute cretins. A lot of it is likely mental trauma, lol, from being involved in audio forums before this one where the term is used to corale the group into group thinking a product they were told was the absolute greatest by an influencer is actually still the absolute best, even if measurements are shown to be terrible or even mass technical glitches etc. Certain forums people will literally enter a battle to the death to defend something just because they are so invested in the belief system. Luckily this place is a bastion of sanity, a rare thing on today's internet.

fatoldgit

Voted no.

I have been buying specialized gear to enhance my music playback experience since 1980 (saving for two years after getting my first job) so in that narrow sense I could be called an audiophile.

BUT.... and this is not a recent phenomenon... the other aspect of this is many/most audiophiles believe in magic and this has devalued the name.

The flowery language we get from professional reviewers (in which I exclude youtubers and other internet chancers just looking to make a quick buck) is also reflected by end user reviews in audio fora.

And I struggle to find an alternative name to the now degraded audiophile. Sure I am a music lover but so are many people who listen on some single speaker device.

If someone could suggest an alternative to audiophile... that would help.

Peter

PS. I do buy gear based on performance, function AND form... once the first two criteria are meet I will "overpay" for what I consider to be an attractive component.

Last edited:
OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

Because so many indulge in this commonplace activity of listening to and some recording and fewer performing music, there is shared experience. Those who try to perfect it in earnest are subjected to those who see it as status, as profitable or intellectually defining pastime. Many have some or even all those qualities associated with their own interests but reject certain notions held by others. ASR was devised to scientifically measure input verses output on many playback devices and share the data. As others have mentioned and rarely discussed here are recording techniques and gear and recordings themselves where the most is to be gained in realism of the actual music and venue. Playing music is almost never discussed. These primary activities are audiophile activities of the highest order. I think asking many here if they are audiophiles means how much time and energy they spend with adjusting, measuring, upgrading and enhancing their payback gear and rooms to minimize distortion regardless of the source and quality of that source. Particularly irksome to most ASR devotees is anything that shows little or no measured accuracy especially if it has a very high price tag.
Thing is, the majority of 'audiophiles' outside of here actually aren't interested in a lot of those things mentioned, not in a way of education and understanding anyway. Most instead of trying to gain knowledge on their passion cling to ramblings and wild tales of magic and mystique. That's what largely baffles me about a massive chunk of the scene.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I'm curious.

As most of us here are here for enlightenment and actual real world science and substance to decide what is potentially a good investment or not I find it really rather strange that a large number of people still refer to themselves in such a way. The term 'audiophile' to me is almost derogatory and signals being one of the cult, the simple of mind lead by the influencers masquerading as reviewers and in so many cases genuinely believing they are some kind of oracle that would have the mighty lord creator bowing at their feet. Seems like something people here should maybe try to avoid, after all the term 'audiophile' is such an industry and influencer created trope to herd the flock into a bracket whereby they are lead to believe that with the badge comes greatness and they have been bestowed with the elevation above any doubters or anyone that questions.

Each to their own and all that, but it really seems like a cliché that people who think and like to be genuinely armed with knowledge rather than the promise and fable of some false prophet. I love music and a good sound system but I've never referred to myself as an audiophile, it's self deficating in my mind.

How do others feel regarding this?
I don't, but when other people ask if I'm an audiophile, I accept the title. It describes what I like.

No reason to get into all the currents of thought unless people ask.

oleg87

Well, I am interested in high-quality audio reproduction, so definitionally, yes. I personally find the conspicuous consumption and anti-scientific subjectivist tendencies in audiophilia obnoxious but ultimately, it's not my business how people choose to engage with audio.

steve59

Major Contributor
Only on this forum

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sure, why not?

That being said, if someone thinks there's too much baggage attached to the term and they don't like it, such is absolutely their prerogative.

I fully realize the term "audiophile" has strong negative connotations in some circles, this being one of them. But to someone outside the hobby I am totally indistinguishable from what they have in mind when they use the term. And that probably goes for most of the participants here, including those who consider the word to be pejorative.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is, the majority of 'audiophiles' outside of here actually aren't interested in a lot of those things mentioned, not in a way of education and understanding anyway. Most instead of trying to gain knowledge on their passion cling to ramblings and wild tales of magic and mystique. That's what largely baffles me about a massive chunk of the scene.
Yes, but part of the feelings here are the from the perspective of playback accuracy which is of high importance and the thing that Amir gives selfless time to illuminate and educate. An Audiophile does not have to include all aspects of music capture and playback, just an extreme interest and commitment to its pursuit. One could even argue even misguided subjectivitists are audiophiles. Not everyone has the time, money or equipment to do what Amir does. The issue is those who know they are spouting untruths to make money to exploit one's interest in the pastime.

OP
Ze Frog

Ze Frog

I voted no then read the whole thread. I guess I am now a confused audiophile!
Lol, yeah, I'm kind of right there with you. Although I'll likely never refer to myself as such. It's actually a shame that the hobby has become so strange these days, too many influencers is the main issue. Everyone and his dog wants their 5 minutes of attention these days and will stoop to any level to attain such. I think I'm just rapidly turning into a grumpy old man.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'm just rapidly turning into a grumpy old man.
1710280601999.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol, yeah, I'm kind of right there with you. Although I'll likely never refer to myself as such. It's actually a shame that the hobby has become so strange these days, too many influencers is the main issue. Everyone and his dog wants their 5 minutes of attention these days and will stoop to any level to attain such. I think I'm just rapidly turning into a grumpy old man.
I never view or read others opinions and beliefs about audio gear other than what is here right @ ASR so I am not corrupted nor bothered in any capacity by what you describe. I am so happy it is one less thing to use up energy. :D

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I never view or read others opinions and beliefs about audio gear other than what is here right @ ASR so I am not corrupted nor bothered in any capacity by what you describe. I am so happy it is one less thing to use up energy. :D
and really, where on earth would you find the time? ;)

MAB

Major Contributor
I am an audiophile, at least by the definition. Hopefully not by the derogatory way it is commonly used here.
I also like musical instruments, and wish I could play every model and every style of clarinet (for instance). And every possible mouthpiece and ligature. But this is not practical, so I just play the ones I have access too and don't think too longingly at how much better one model vs. the other would affect me. I seriously doubt I would find a favorite though.

Top Bottom