• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Speaker Architecture for a Home Office in the Attic

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Hi. We moved to a new house. My second HiFi setup is placed in the attic, where I work most of the time.

I currently use the 6,5" Purifi-based speakers + 12" sub.

I was very happy with them in my previous cube-shaped office with the room mode at 40Hz.

But, unfortunately, all the high-bass/low-mids disappeared In this new triangular shaped room. I only hear the sub at 20-40Hz and highs above 1kHz :(

So I was thinking to downgrade a bit and try something more exotic: full range speaker? Open baffle? Ported but with the 12 or 15" paper mid-bass? I'm open to all the crazy ideas:)

My main setup is more conservative, so with this 2nd one I wanted to go wild.

And btw, pls. let me know if someone is interested in PuriWaves Purifi + Viawave tweeters.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
1695026284333.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Consider asking moderation to have this thread moved over to here:

Not entirely sure what would cause your low mids to disappear as described but I can't imagine the speakers being perched underneath the slanted roof like that is doing the sound any favors for one. Environments like that are notorious for being difficult. I would get the speakers out of the corner and apply acoustic treatment for the ceiling at the very least.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know why that's happening either and I'm not an acoustics expert but if you are getting cancelations, different speakers aren't going to help... I would try re-positioning the speakers.

It's also unusual to get such a wide band of cancelations. Usually standing-wave nodes & anti-nodes are a half-octave apart and repeated every octave (until you get into the higher frequencies where things tend to become more "random").

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Thanks guys. I just read that the open baffle speakers perform better at the 1/3 of the room length. So, in the 7m room I should have placed them at 2.3m from the wall. I tried to move my ported speakers to this point, but didn't notice any significant difference. Do you think that the open baffle would perform better?

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
I also noticed, that with placing speakers closer to the sloped wall, the upper mids sound much dirtier. Is it because of the directivity errors? Would the single point source help in this case?

moonlight rainbow dream

A dipole speaker and its figure-8 radiation pattern reduces interaction only with the sidewalls, not the ceiling or front/back walls. The surefire, but brute force, method of minimizing the destructive effect of the room is using line source or line array type speakers in combination with the Harman multi-sub method.

A really interesting and instructive thing you can do that I highly recommend is to grab a measurement mic, open up REW, play pink noise, turn on the RTA, and then just walk around the room and/or move the speakers around and observe how the response is changing with positioning.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
A dipole speaker and its figure-8 radiation pattern reduces interaction only with the sidewalls, not the ceiling or front/back walls. The surefire, but brute force, method of minimizing the destructive effect of the room is using line source or line array type speakers in combination with the Harman multi-sub method.

A really interesting and instructive thing you can do that I highly recommend is to grab a measurement mic, open up REW, play pink noise, turn on the RTA, and then just walk around the room and/or move the speakers around and observe how the response is changing with positioning.
Great suggestions, I do have UMIC-1 and REW. Will definitely do that. I'm not very experienced with REW, but I think it should have an option to split up the direct signal and early reflections. I think these early references causing the muddiness in high mids. And the flour and ceiling bounce might cause the lack of high bass / low mids.

Top Bottom