• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY ACOUSTIC PANELS FOR ROOM STUDIO

Hello all, Im new to the forum here.
Im about to diy acoustic panels for my room for recording Classical,Acoustic and electric guitar. And also to listen with monitors.

Now im quiet confused with the Density and as i read alot i cant reach to the right answer.

I have option of 70,90,120,150 Kg/m3 the market is full of 150 and 120 kg/m3 with 5cm and 10cm

and also i got option of Knauf insulation Mineral Plus IPB 039 but i cant get the density of it with the company as they dont know the only says the Alpha number is 0.8 to 1. and the packet of it comes around 8.3 KG with 16 Peaces 60x120cmx5cm. and 8 Peace with 10cm thickness. So i assume the Density here is Low according to the full packet weight.

I do think to go with the Knauf mineralwool 10 Cm thick but i dont know the density of it and its also affordable, but at the same time if rockwool with 70 or higher density will give me better result i would go for it. So confused.

Also im planing to put panels as Bass traps. Any suggestion about that ?

another option i thought to be clear. For walls and celling i thought of 70 KG/m3 and for Bass trap panel 120 KG/m3.

My Room is , 320cm x 320 cm x 240 height. I will attach the 3D in here.
i need help with the placement with the right thickness and what the density. i can afford 5cm and 10cm thickness . but i need the right choice not to have dead room .

I also insert the Design i did for the panels positions. I would like to take any other advices

Thank you all, i really appreciate any help or advice you all will mention to me.

Attachments

• Room1.jpg
    Room1.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Room2.jpg
    Room2.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Room3.jpg
    Room3.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Room4.jpg
    Room4.jpg
    681.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Room5.jpg
    Room5.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Room6.jpg
    Room6.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 58

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any advice ?
Welcome to ASR!

Looks like you are more or less on the right track, but you should back up a step.

First thing to know is that aside from membrane-based traps, panel bass traps are basically a sham. The wavelengths and power involved in bass are such that foam or even fiberglass /rockwool traps are not effective at low (<100hz) frequencies.

Second, what are the acoustic problems in your room you intend to solve? What will the room be used for?

A common problem when people simply add absorbers is that they remove too much mid and high frequencies, and not enough low frequencies. This makes the room sound boomy, boxy, all around bad.

The right way to go about it is to take measurements in-room, determine which frequencies need to be absorbed, and then use a targeted mix of absorbers and diffusers to get rid of excess energy and break up standing waves.

OP
H
Welcome to ASR!

Looks like you are more or less on the right track, but you should back up a step.

First thing to know is that aside from membrane-based traps, panel bass traps are basically a sham. The wavelengths and power involved in bass are such that foam or even fiberglass /rockwool traps are not effective at low (<100hz) frequencies.

Second, what are the acoustic problems in your room you intend to solve? What will the room be used for?

A common problem when people simply add absorbers is that they remove too much mid and high frequencies, and not enough low frequencies. This makes the room sound boomy, boxy, all around bad.

The right way to go about it is to take measurements in-room, determine which frequencies need to be absorbed, and then use a targeted mix of absorbers and diffusers to get rid of excess energy and break up standing waves.
Thank yor taking time and replay here
The main purpose for that to get a clean recording of classic and acoustic guitar . And even electric guitar . Electric guitar i need to record while listening from monitors but im not hearing the right tone of the guitar so i miss the tone some times while listening and create tone in monitors not in headphones . And also for classic guitar as i use larg diphrame microphone i have issue with the echo and reverb . While listening in monitor to much bass not clear sound .
Where i live i dont have so much option to chose from insulation material or the brands available not put the info of the nrc rate .
So i still in the density and thickness part should i go higher or lower with 10 cm thick

For the knauf insulation it is so affordable and i found the company says (a) alpha of this insulation 0.8-1 . When i calculate the weight of the product to assume the density i get a result of 15-17 kg/m3 as the company dosent have the info of the density . Is that possible for low dns can give me high result .

As a rockwool i have option from 50 to 150 . Still cant decide

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When it comes to the density of materials like foam or rockwool, usually the higher the better. Cheap and low density is not worth your time or money. I say this as someone who used to sell acoustic foam for a living. :)

But you should take some measurements in-room to determine which frequencies are the problem, before you decide on a material, thickness, or coverage.

As for recording - it will be tricky. You should look into membrane bass traps. And you should definitely do some measurements of the sound in your room to identify the problems. When you have modes or other issues in the <400hz range, it tends to ruin recordings and it's difficult but not impossible to get rid of them.

OP
H
When it comes to the density of materials like foam or rockwool, usually the higher the better. Cheap and low density is not worth your time or money. I say this as someone who used to sell acoustic foam for a living. :)

But you should take some measurements in-room to determine which frequencies are the problem, before you decide on a material, thickness, or coverage.

As for recording - it will be tricky. You should look into membrane bass traps. And you should definitely do some measurements of the sound in your room to identify the problems. When you have modes or other issues in the <400hz range, it tends to ruin recordings and it's difficult but not impossible to get rid of them.
I heard alot says the higher the density it will reflect mid and high frequency but can do well in low frequency. Where i live they recommend 150 dns 5cm thick . When i do research i i see very different opinions about this topic :(
I get here in the country rebonded foam 60dns what you think of that also ?

For measurements i should get a special mic for the measurements?

ozzy9832001

Welcome to ASR!

This is the best advise. And you want to make sure absorption is consistent across the room. In my room, the ceiling was actually the worst offender...and the front wall. Will all depend on your individual room and where your seating position is in relation to the boundaries.

OP
H
This is the best advise. And you want to make sure absorption is consistent across the room. In my room, the ceiling was actually the worst offender...and the front wall. Will all depend on your individual room and where your seating position is in relation to the boundaries.
Thank you dude

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks for response but in my country its unavailable microphone :( , how about

Behringer ECM8000​

its also affordable
Do you have an interface with mic input and Phantom power?
(you should since you record stuff)

Then if you can find a calibrated one of these you're fine.

OP
H
Do you have an interface with mic input and Phantom power?
(you should since you record stuff)

Then if you can find a calibrated one of these you're fine.
If you have an audio interface, perhaps the Dayton Audio EMM-6, as mentioned on the REW site:

Yes i do have Audio interface with mice input and phantom power.
I will look for it

OP
H
hello again i just wanna make sure for that insulation brand test , as i cant find a lot of options here . is that concider a good insulation for the panels and tri-bass traps , the test is for 5cm thick and 50kg/m3 , i will bouble that to 10cm thick. what you guys think is it a good option ?

Attachments

• Screenshot (482).png
    Screenshot (482).png
    655 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom