• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did I damage my amp (how to test)

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an anthem MCA 325. I also have Polk L800 which has atmos modules in the speaker which has dedicated terminals. I used a small class D amps to power the atmos. I was plugging the terminals and accidentally plugged the atmos amp into the mains with the other amp. (I should have had the power off. I feel terrible about that)

It was a very loud noise. Then the speakers basically sounded super muffled until I turned off the amp in a panic. Eventually turned it back on and things sounded okay again.

I’m pretty certain my speakers are okay. But I’m uncertain about the amp. My SDA stopped speaker and when I switched terminals on the amp it worked again.

Anyways:
1) why would the speakers sound muffled after that noise and then resolve after power cycling the amp?

2) how can I audibly tell if there was damage?

3) can I visually tell what’s damaged?

D

Deleted member 46664

Power the whole thing off.
Check your connections ... now check them again... and one last time.
Now power on the main amp at low volume ... does it sound normal?
Next the atmos amp, again at low volume ... does it sound normal?

Increase the volume slowly to your normal listening levels...
Does it sound normal?

Breathe a heavy sigh of relief and don't make the same mistake again. :cool:

Most amplifiers have built in protection circuits that will trigger in situations like that.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

Power the whole thing off.
Check your connections ... now check them again... and one last time.
Now power on the main amp at low volume ... does it sound normal?
Next the atmos amp, again at low volume ... does it sound normal?

Increase the volume slowly to your normal listening levels...
Does it sound normal?

Breathe a heavy sigh of relief and don't make the same mistake again. :cool:

Most amplifiers have built in protection circuits that will trigger in situations like that.
I’d love this if I could, so I liked it!

I hope youre right. I’m curious why that SDA speaker stopped working but I’ll test it and retest. I won’t be surprised if something is okay and won’t be surprised if something is broke either.

I’ll give it a shot and slowly the panic will subside

D

Deleted member 46664

In the event your atmos speaker has quit --I think that's what you're telling me-- you need to do a couple of steps...
Be aware that at that point you won't know if it is the speaker or the amplifier that's not working.

The easy test for that is to disconnect the small amp then, at low volume, power the atmos speaker from your main amp and see if you get sound from it. If you do it's most likely the small amp has failed. If you don't, it's almost certainly the speaker. So at least you know what to replace without too much muss or fuss.

Trouble shooting situations like this is actually pretty easy ...

Best of luck getting back in business....

OP
T

tjcinnamon

In the event your atmos speaker has quit --I think that's what you're telling me-- you need to do a couple of steps...
Be aware that at that point you won't know if it is the speaker or the amplifier that's not working.

The easy test for that is to disconnect the small amp then, at low volume, power the atmos speaker from your main amp and see if you get sound from it. If you do it's most likely the small amp has failed. If you don't, it's almost certainly the speaker. So at least you know what to replace without too much muss or fuss.

Trouble shooting situations like this is actually pretty easy ...

Best of luck getting back in business....
The SDA speakers have 2 sets of mids and tweeters on the same speaker on the same set of terminals. One is an exterior speaker which plays the inverse phase of the opposite side speaker. The 2 speakers are connected via an “umbilical cord”. The outer SDA speaker is the one that stopped working. Where I torched the speaker was in those terminals.

That said, your guidance is taken. I think it’s the amp of nothing else because both speakers played super muffled until power cycling. Perhaps that was one of those protections and power cycling discharged if.

D

Deleted member 46664

At this point I need to point out that in depth remote diagnosis is a fools game. Without measurements and (hopefully) schematics to follow, neither of us can be sure of what we're dealing with. So this is where I suggest that unless everything is okay, right now (as opposed to 3 days ago), your best bet is to get a qualified technician "hands on" with your system to check it out.

If, on the other hand, it's all working normally, I'm going to suggest that until it acts up again you should stop worrying about it.

AudiOhm

OP
T

tjcinnamon

At this point I need to point out that in depth remote diagnosis is a fools game. Without measurements and (hopefully) schematics to follow, neither of us can be sure of what we're dealing with. So this is where I suggest that unless everything is okay, right now (as opposed to 3 days ago), your best bet is to get a qualified technician "hands on" with your system to check it out.

If, on the other hand, it's all working normally, I'm going to suggest that until it acts up again you should stop worrying about it.
When I’m back at my house, I can post REW measurements. I measured each pre-out on the AVR, each channel on the amp, and a measurement direct from the AVR amp as a “control” measurement.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

It’s after when the SDA on the speaker started working again. So if there is an issue it’s likely the amp and small chance it’s the crossover.

I’ll post the REW measurements and I’m also going to take some measurements with one of the speakers outside the room to isolate the SDA measurement to rule out the crossover and these are 115lb speakers and I have a small lip to move them down. It’s the price I’ll pay for peace of mind

D

Deleted member 46664

When I’m back at my house, I can post REW measurements. I measured each pre-out on the AVR, each channel on the amp, and a measurement direct from the AVR amp as a “control” measurement.

I guess you missed the part about bringing in a technician who can make a diagnosis "hands on".

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you missed the part about bringing in a technician who can make a diagnosis "hands on".
Trying to think how that would even work where I live. Doubtful anyone one within an hour's drive, probably not even within a 2 hour drive. How I would even find such a qualified person would be a challenge....let alone convincing them to drive to my location (or bring the system to them). Hopefully @tjcinnamon can determine whether something got damaged in any case, good luck! I've scared myself a few times making changes with power running....but haven't had to replace anything....yet.

AudiOhm

In the other topic you said you contacted Anthem, did they not respond?

Ohms

OP
T

tjcinnamon

In the other topic you said you contacted Anthem, did they not respond?

Ohms
Yeah, still no response from Anthem. I’m surprised and let down by that.

I’ll see if I can find a technician to diagnose things. The challenge is going to be finding one with time to do it.

D

Deleted member 46664

Yeah, still no response from Anthem. I’m surprised and let down by that.

I’ll see if I can find a technician to diagnose things. The challenge is going to be finding one with time to do it.

If you lived in my area ... I would be the one coming out to look at your system.

Generally contact is made through a stereo shop or an electronics store.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you lived in my area ... I would be the one coming out to look at your system.

You are where? :) Stereo shop? I don't think we have any within a two hour drive.....altho there is a rather poor used gear store that somewhat qualifies, but after one visit I'd never go back.....they don't seem to know what they're doing.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

I’ll drive up to a 4 hour direction of south eastern Wisconsin :)

D

Deleted member 46664

You are where? :) Stereo shop? I don't think we have any within a two hour drive.....altho there is a rather poor used gear store that somewhat qualifies, but after one visit I'd never go back.....they don't seem to know what they're doing.

BUT ... these stores often have contact with technicians who do know what they are doing.

So simple question .... Is your system working normally right now?
If the answer is yes... then my best advice would be to stop fretting over it, unless and until it starts to misbehave.

Seriously... don't look for problems that aren't there... and especially don't do it over the internet where you have absolutely no idea who you're taking advice from.
(and yes, I'm aware of the paradox in giving you this advice)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BUT ... these stores often have contact with technicians who do know what they are doing.

If the answer is yes... then my best advice would be to stop fretting over it, unless and until it starts to misbehave.

Seriously... don't look for problems that aren't there... and especially don't do it over the internet where you have absolutely no idea who you're taking advice from.
I don't have any issues myself, am comfortable with figuring out things for myself short of analysis of the spec of a given particular unit that may need a test bench.....I rarely find any issues over the last 50 years a tech could help with in any case.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

We just don't have those sort of stores locally any more....I did have a tech just before retirement in the nearby city (45 miles distant) go thru some amps, but they still developed issues afterwards so who knows how expert he was let alone his analysis....but he was one of the last offering such services locally otoh. Maybe if you're in a large metro area or in a highly populated area it could be different I suppose. Why I asked where you were....just in case.

OP
T

tjcinnamon

Just got home. Ran some tests. Things appear fine. I’ll test daily for the next few weeks (because I’m like that); then call it fixed.

I used your take a measurement low and then turn it up. It was exactly the same. It was also the same regardless of channel on the amp.

Anthem is prepared to RMA but I think that’d be a waste of time for me and money for them.

Top Bottom