• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet To Build Microchip Amps

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Your Phone Could Soon Sound as Good as a $15,000 Hi-Fi
https://bloom.bg/2lW4jx2

I'm beginning to see a pattern to Jay Z investments. Like a moth to a night light, he gets sucked in by audio hype machines. It's hilarious how the writer attributes all of what must be his virginal hifi experience with Deviaet to the monoblock Devialet amps. From his postcoital oxytocin glow, he easily projects into the future that a Devialet engineered chip amp will make smart phones sound like "live music."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Judging by the fingernail-sized amp chip (2 x 50W) on my JBL LSR 308's main board, I don't see any insurmountable problems with that idea.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good read on the history of the company. But the ending shows some delusions:

"Devialet has the right backers: Sharp for TVs, Renault for autonomous cars, Foxconn for smartphones. "

Sharp has stopped production and sale of TVs in US and at any rate, TVs are all about being the cheapest. No one needs a premium amplifier in them.

Foxconn is a manufacturer. It cannot and will not impose any design on Apple, etc. which use it for manufacturing.

As for Renault, they don't need this chip for automated driving.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Judging by the fingernail-sized amp chip (2 x 50W) on my JBL LSR 308's main board, I don't see any insurmountable problems with that idea.
Harman worked with Texas Instrument to build an ultra small integrated IC amplifier based on Class I years back. Weight saving is the biggest motivation here for automotive applications:

http://m.livedesignonline.com/blog/...ech-drivecore-series-amplifiers-infocomm-2011

DriveCore™ Series Amplifiers At InfoComm 2011
by Kieran McGee
Jun 16, 2011

ORLANDO, Florida — Underscoring the transformative capabilities of HARMAN Crown's chip-based technology, the company today placed a central emphasis on its ComTech DriveCoreâ„¢ Series Amplifiers at InfoComm 2011. The technology enables performance grade amplifiers to provide a smaller footprint for enhanced power in a range of fixed installations including executive boardrooms, education facilities, and luxury suites in hotels and stadiums.

The line, which consists of four models, offering up to eight channels at 150 watts per channel, are all one rack, fan-less and ultra-energy efficient. DriveCore chip technology offers greater than 90 percent efficiency with no compromise in performance, boasting a signal-to-noise ratio of 110dB. DriveCore also has patented feedback and protection circuits integrated into the silicon for fast and accurate response.

“Never before has there been an amplifier that systems integration professionals could look to as being specifically designed for smaller fixed installation environments,” said Marc Kellom, director of marketing for Crown. “We not only forever changed the way amplifiers will be engineered with our DriveCore chip technology but we also answered the call of our customers to design an amplifier that would meet the specific needs of projects that are a major aspect of their business.”

The DriveCore chip, which was co-developed with Texas Instruments, combines the amplifier drive stage into the power output stage (along with additional audio-signal functions) – circuits that are typically much larger in size and power requirements. As a result, power consumption is dramatically reduced, and the amplifiers are much more energy-efficient. The DriveCore design yields sonic benefits as well, thanks to tighter tolerances, better circuit matching and inherently lower noise.

Because of their greater efficiency and Class D design, ComTech DriveCore series amplifiers also produce less heat, a by-product of inefficient amplifier operation. As a result, the amplifiers do not need to use a fan or traditional large, heavy heat sinks, further reducing energy demands.

fas42

Major Contributor
I'm currently looking at the latest audio chips from TI - the potential is there, both in quality and grunt, to produce something that will easily see off, say, a Krell in a tiny box - as usual, the power supply might be the bottleneck for getting both attributes happening.

Top Bottom