• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop DACs: why USB-C input not common?

flz

It seems the USB input of the vast majority of desktop DACs is of the B type. Very few use USB-C. Why is that and is USB-C expected to become more common in the next few years?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can just buy a C to B cable :) vast majority of DAC’s use USB 2.0, there is no need for a USB-C connector.

bkdc

Forum Donor
When streaming music, that sort of bandwidth is not required. I'd prefer a USB-C on my portable devices just for uniformity. But this one gets plugged in and never gets unplugged.

Gratefuldad

You can just buy a C to B cable :) vast majority of DAC’s use USB 2.0, there is no need for a USB-C connector.
When streaming music, that sort of bandwidth is not required. I'd prefer a USB-C on my portable devices just for uniformity. But this one gets plugged in and never gets unplugged.
Upvote for USB C. USB C cable is much thinner (which is good on desktop) and also seems to have better performance - as per link below. I have seen USB C on atleast one DAC SMSL D6.

Another related gripe is that often DAC's need two USBs - one for power and one for audio. This is presumably to connect low power inputs like a phone etc. I would think in todays day and age, manufacturers would figure this out!

Top Bottom