• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMA-900HNE

RoyRoyRoy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for anyone that has a Denon PMA-900HNE, or a HEOS capable Denon receiver with A/B speakers.

I want to have speakers A be in my living room, and speaker B, be just one speaker that I run a wire to my outdoor speaker.

Is possible to control turning on Speaker B from the HEOS app, or do I have to physically go to the receiver to turn on/off Speaker B? By default I would have Speaker B off if I'm not outside.

DIAGRAM:

Living Room Speakers (pair) Receiver Outside Speaker (single) [A] [A] --------------------------------Denon PMA-900HNE --------[B]

I read the instruction manual for the Denon receiver, but it didn't give inside on what buttons are available inside the HEOS app. Perhaps it's in the App? I currently use an iphone for the HEOS app and Denon AVR app.

Thanks!

Last edited:

telemike

I have the 900. HEOS app does not have speaker selection. You can adjust volume, bass, treble and inputs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, what is a Denon cable receiver?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh geez! A very bad typo! I meant “a HEOS capable Denon receiver”. Sorry! Corrected my post.
Was wondering....couldn't figure out what that meant. I have a few Denon avrs, and zones are selectable from the Denon remote control....

ps to run the single speaker you'd need a mono mode....which my newest Denon doesn't have.

OP
R

RoyRoyRoy

Yeah, I’m now rethinking my strategy and maybe doing a A/B speaker setup is not as good as just getting a Denon receiver with Zone capability.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can turn speakers A and/or B off and on with the Heos app. You have to look for it, but it’s there. (PMA900-HNE)

p.s. I am currently p.o.’d at Denon customer service. I may sell mine.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Their customer service desks are staffed with people that have no technical skills at all and are required to have you perform a list of “troubleshooting” procedures before they will let you send it in. Mine has a display problem. I sent them a picture of it. Hard reset didn’t fix it. They told me to disconnect and reconnect all the cables. Stupid. Now they want me to get on the phone with them so we can do more stupid stuff. I am being a pain because I am refusing to do stupid stuff in order to get my amp fixed. Their warranty says if it breaks they will fix it. Nothing in there about the customer having to do stupid pet tricks first. I have a low tolerance for stupidity so probably no more D-M products for me. Kind of sad. I’ve owned around 10 of them over the years. I don’t love it anyway. If you are listening to a streaming source and turn it off, when you turn it back on you have to use the phone app to get it to start playing again. My 1/3 the price Yamaha in my other garage just starts playing when you turn it on. I bought a PMA900-HNE and a HEOS amp for a garage/deck/front porch system about 8 months ago. They both work fine except a single vertical line in the PMA display. Will sell them both when my Yamaha WXC-50/Niles SI-250/ Niles speaker switch replacement is up and running. It’s a weird thing with me. When a company gets on my schiit list, I not only don’t want to buy more of their products, I no longer want the ones I have.

Last edited:

Rick63

Their customer service desks are staffed with people that have no technical skills at all and are required to have you perform a list of “troubleshooting” procedures before they will let you send it in. Mine has a display problem. I sent them a picture of it. Hard reset didn’t fix it. They told me to disconnect and reconnect all the cables. Stupid. Now they want me to get on the phone with them so we can do more stupid stuff. I am being a pain because I am refusing to do stupid stuff in order to get my amp fixed. Their warranty says if it breaks they will fix it. Nothing in there about the customer having to do stupid pet tricks first. I have a low tolerance for stupidity so probably no more D-M products for me. Kind of sad. I’ve owned around 10 of them over the years. I don’t love it anyway. If you are listening to a streaming source and turn it off, when you turn it back on you have to use the phone app to get it to start playing again. My 1/3 the price Yamaha in my other garage just starts playing when you turn it on. I bought a PMA900-HNE and a HEOS amp for a garage/deck/front porch system about 8 months ago. The both work fine except a single vertical line in the PMA display. Will sell them both when my Yamaha WXC-50/Niles SI-250/ Niles speaker switch replacement is up and running. It’s s weird thing with me. When a company gets on my schiit list, I not only don’t want to buy more of their products, I no longer want the ones I have.

I can rate to your post very well, as I recently had a very similar experience with Rotel CS regarding a CD11 Tribute CDP. It had become a well known buggy player, and it took a month of hard fighting to get them to send me a brand new unit to replace the one that had already been serviced under warranty once, which I promptly sold (for a great loss) and bought an Audiolab 6000CDT transport that has performed flawlessly. I'm done with Rotel...

Last edited:
OP
R

RoyRoyRoy

Their customer service desks are staffed with people that have no technical skills at all and are required to have you perform a list of “troubleshooting” procedures before they will let you send it in. Mine has a display problem. I sent them a picture of it. Hard reset didn’t fix it. They told me to disconnect and reconnect all the cables. Stupid. Now they want me to get on the phone with them so we can do more stupid stuff. I am being a pain because I am refusing to do stupid stuff in order to get my amp fixed. Their warranty says if it breaks they will fix it. Nothing in there about the customer having to do stupid pet tricks first. I have a low tolerance for stupidity so probably no more D-M products for me. Kind of sad. I’ve owned around 10 of them over the years. I don’t love it anyway. If you are listening to a streaming source and turn it off, when you turn it back on you have to use the phone app to get it to start playing again. My 1/3 the price Yamaha in my other garage just starts playing when you turn it on. I bought a PMA900-HNE and a HEOS amp for a garage/deck/front porch system about 8 months ago. They both work fine except a single vertical line in the PMA display. Will sell them both when my Yamaha WXC-50/Niles SI-250/ Niles speaker switch replacement is up and running. It’s a weird thing with me. When a company gets on my schiit list, I not only don’t want to buy more of their products, I no longer want the ones I have.
I think this will happen to us all at some point in time. I know mine was when I bought a flagship Sony cell phone, only to have Sony roll back features due to "Business Patent" issues, and break bluetooth when streaming to my car. They wouldn't do anything about it. I swore off Sony, and converted from Android to Apple. Alas, I had to replace my TV, and Sony was the best for my price range.

As someone who has managed a helpdesk, sometimes, you just have to let them go through the mundane so they can check off A, B, C, D, etc. Once they do that, then you respond with "What's next?". If they don't have a next step, then many times, they (hopefully) they will have to replace your item. I know I have to bite my tongue when I go call any computer or Internet helpdesk since I sometimes know more than their experts (I don't mean that in a condescending way), but they do surprise me a few times as many issues are not self-evident, and to be honest, it's best to let them run through their script. They are usually paid peanuts, so you have to go in with low expectations.

On a surprising note, I once emailed NAD about a product long dead (1990s mini cd system) and they replied with an answer for me in 2 days. I thought for sure they would say "go away, this model is dead", but someone took the trouble to give me a detailed response, even though it wasn't what I wanted, which was fine.

Just take it in stride.

rwortman

Forum Donor
I’m not a take in stride person. Stupid proliferates because people put up with it. The photo I sent demonstrates that it is broken. I currently have the very large retailer I bought it from applying leverage. We’ll see. On the side of the coin, one follow up question that stumps the help desk guy at McIntosh and you are immediately talking to an actual product expert.

OP
R

RoyRoyRoy

I think companies like McIntosh or NAD are big on reputation, and small enough to give good support. Denon is just a mass produced product for Best Buy and the likes...so it's an accountant figuring out how to best help you, and then hiring minimum wage people to implement it :(

Top Bottom