• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-S770H vs Pioneer VSX-935

DrStranger

I am getting tired of waiting for any brand to release a Class-D AVR, at least with a humane price (Mcintosh might have been one, but, no app or any gaming features makes it a fail imo) , so I am really starting to look at a budget to at least get some music and move sound in my home, untill something comes. So, the above two has caught my eye and I have hard time to find any pages doing a head to head comparison with correct facts and specs as well as test between these two. Has anyone had any experience or test between these?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I assumed they were all class-D. I've got an inexpensive (~$300 USD) AVR with 80 or 100W x 5 channels. There are no heatsinks hanging out of the back and it seems unlikely that there is ~500W worth of class A/B amplifiers in there. It seems even more likely with a newer AVR with more channels.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I am getting tired of waiting for any brand to release a Class-D AVR, at least with a humane price (Mcintosh might have been one, but, no app or any gaming features makes it a fail imo) , so I am really starting to look at a budget to at least get some music and move sound in my home, untill something comes. So, the above two has caught my eye and I have hard time to find any pages doing a head to head comparison with correct facts and specs as well as test between these two. Has anyone had any experience or test between these?
Curious about your post. Right now any AVR that would include Class D amps would certainly use less impressive amps than the high rated and reasonalbly priced Hypex Ncore amps rated on this website. Why don’t you just go separates with like say a Marantz 7706? For the money you would get higher quality. Also Anthem makes some hybrid AVR’s that include Class Ds for surrounds/heights.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I assumed they were all class-D. I've got an inexpensive (~$300 USD) AVR with 80 or 100W x 5 channels. There are no heatsinks hanging out of the back and it seems unlikely that there is ~500W worth of class A/B amplifiers in there. It seems even more likely with a newer AVR with more channels.
Not much in class D avrs at this time....Pioneer did have some a few years back IIRC. Heatsinks on the back? What? :)

zkelectronics doesn't have the 770 for some reason, but you might start with this and make adjustments.... https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/pioneer-vsx-935/denon-avr-s760h/

As to picking one or the other, pick the feature set that works for you.

OP
D

DrStranger

Curious about your post. Right now any AVR that would include Class D amps would certainly use less impressive amps than the high rated and reasonalbly priced Hypex Ncore amps rated on this website. Why don’t you just go separates with like say a Marantz 7706? For the money you would get higher quality. Also Anthem makes some hybrid AVR’s that include Class Ds for surrounds/heights.
I dont have the space and I value a all in one, yes, separates would be more future proof also.

OP
D

DrStranger

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont have the space and I value a all in one, yes, separates would be more future proof also.
A pre-pro still hits the same problems in being "future" proof depending on number of channels and how processed and what codecs its capable of....like an avr. So far pre-pros havent shown a great advantage in measurements over an avr either. Depends on your amp needs somewhat, a set of powerful external amps will generally have an advantage over avr amps....but you can also use those amps with an avr....if you get a model with pre-outs (my preference with avrs generally).

Top Bottom