• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dCS Ring DAC

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

This Ring DAC has got me really intrigued. Too bad I will never spend this amount of money on a DAC ever. Especially if no one has ever measured it. I would love amir to get his hands on one someday though.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This Ring DAC has got me really intrigued. Too bad I will never spend this amount of money on a DAC ever. Especially if no one has ever measured it. I would love amir to get his hands on one someday though.
I have one. The sound varies with some of the reconstructions filter selected and it is fine but it did not sound any different to other DACs in the level matched blind listening test I did between it and several others.
The measurements I have seen show it is audibly transparent and has below audible noise levels.

SMc

The easiest (= cheapest) way to hear it is to find an Arcam cd player that uses one. I think the Alpha 9 is the most common. I have a CD23 FMJ which I loved but is sitting on a shelf now that I've ripped my cds. Also the DiVA CD92.

MOCKBA

Yes, it would be nice to see how this device compares to mainstreamers

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The easiest (= cheapest) way to hear it is to find an Arcam cd player that uses one. I think the Alpha 9 is the most common. I have a CD23 FMJ which I loved but is sitting on a shelf now that I've ripped my cds. Also the DiVA CD92.

I bought a CD92, but had to send it back because the audio outputs were putting out a high noise level (probably -20 dB FS). But in the reading I did around it, I noted that the Arcam was an experimental collaboration between dcs and Arcam to imitate the discrete standalone ringDAC using an integrated circuit. It worked, but with noted higher noise that bothered the folks at dcs. Their own products used discrete components. So, it’s the same concept but not the same implementation.

I suspect it was very good before truly transparent DACs were common.

Rick “who sent it back and then bought a Naim CD5” Denney

JSmith

Master Contributor
Too bad I will never spend this amount of money on a DAC ever.
I don't think it's too bad... I think that's a good thing. These products are stupidly priced... I hope no one ever buys anything from this company.

JSmith

MacCali

Major Contributor
I am actually currently on the hunt for a cd player. Not sure which one to buy, these 5 arcam cd players did pop up. Not sure how valid the company measurements actually are, but the only thing I actually see with any potential is that cd92. Seems as though it is the only one that's using a multibit architecture.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to audio, however I think that's some what of a r2r design. If the company measurements hold true there is some hope. However, the irony in this is I would use their dac on occasion, but I honestly mostly looking for a quality cd transport. I see amir hasn't measured any cd players besides blu ray, or cannot find those reviews for just stand alone cd players.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a used CD92 a year ago or so, just as an experiment (I seem to collect CD players). The audio section in the DAC on it had undergone some failure and the noise level was at about -20 dB. The ringDAC in those units is on a chip, and rather than the low-percentage attempt to repair it, I sent it back to the seller. He had only use it as a transport, and for that it was fine. I don't recall what mechanism it uses, but it's either a mid-line Sony (like a KSS213) or a mid-line Philips (VAM120something--the linear tracking later models). I just don't recall.

dCS put the ringDAC architecture on a chip for those units, but I think they were unhappy with the noise level. I suspect that means its noise level was down around -85 or -90 dB, not the roar present in the one I bought.

Arcam stuff seems to be made pretty well, in general, but not everything they make has the best measurements.

Rick "still looks at used Arcam CD players occasionally" Denney

SMc

I don't know if these apply to the other old Arcam players:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I don't know if these apply to the other old Arcam players:

Seems like the rest of the units use either Ti or Wolf dacs.

It shows 5 dacs have the dCS ring dac. I’m not certain why the 92 has a multi bit system yet the other dacs mentioned nothing about multibit. I would think the architecture would be uniform.

But the cd23 92 and two others in that cd line have it. Also the Alpha 9 CD player.

Top Bottom