• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DCA Stealth clamp pressure - any way to increase it?

Zapador

I'm having a "minor" issue with my recently acquired DCA Stealth which is that there's a lack of bass but I've found that gently pushing in on the cups solves that problem, so it's a lack of seal / clamp pressure causing the bass to disappear into nowhere. No glasses, short hair and no beard - but maybe a narrow head, I'm not sure.
Without a proper seal on the Stealth, I feel like my HD660s has more sense of bass albeit with some EQ gain in that region. Applying gain to the bass on the Stealth does not solve the problem, bass remains absent, only more clamp pressure seems to do the trick.

This is a long shot, but have any of you tried modifying the nitinol wires to increase clamp pressure? Or found some other solution?
As far as I can tell removing the wires, attaching them to something so they bend a bit more and then heating them to something like 500ºC should work but before I go to such extremes I'd like to know if anyone else have had a similar problem and found a solution.

Thanks!

// Zap

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears to me to be a opportunity for DCA to offer a tighter fitting version of the arch for that head size range. It would be a very nice gesture on behalf of DCA in that they offer sizing options. Like a hat size is required so is a headphone size.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel the same way; I wrote to DCA and the response was the only option is bend the headband, which is not accurate or reliable. so, not recommended.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
:D :D Duct tape? :D :D (That's Keith Moon playing drums.)

Duct Tape.png

OP
Zapador

Zapador

It appears to me to be a opportunity for DCA to offer a tighter fitting version of the arch for that head size range. It would be a very nice gesture on behalf of DCA in that they offer sizing options. Like a hat size is required so is a headphone size.
If I'm not mistaken the wires are "permanently" bonded to the rest but I think there's a way to remove them, reshape them and reattach them. At least I'll give that a try if I find no other solution. I love the Stealth but it would be so much better with a bit more clamp pressure.

OP
Zapador

Zapador

I feel the same way; I wrote to DCA and the response was the only option is bend the headband, which is not accurate or reliable. so, not recommended.
If you decide to bend it I'm 99% sure it would be reversible with the help of some hot water, unless the nitinol used here is different from the rest but that seems unlikely.
Nitinol is shaped by heating it to 500ºC or so, whichever shape it had while heated (and cooled down while still forced into that shape) it will remember. If you bend it while cold and then heat it to around 80ºC it will resume the memory shape.

Top Bottom