• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac Amp xlr mismatch?

terrys999

Would connecting a dac with 4.5v xlr to an amp with 4v xlr bad news?
i have a m-dac plus 4.5v out cxa 80 4v

is this ill advised?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That depends on how the amp is specified. Normally amp aren't directly specified as 4V. If max is 4Vrms then no it will clip. But most amps should take a bit higher than that like 6-7V or higher.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok. You need to use the volume control on mdac+. Directly connecting to cxa80 is not a problem.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ok i see. i will turn down the volume -5 on dac and use that
thank you
-5db is probably too high. I would expect you using somewhere around -30db to -20db. Start low and slowly increasing.

OP
T

terrys999

I had been using it with the amp on fixed 0.0
I didn’t ear any clipping. Not that I would know. The same would be or rca on cxa its 2v and m dac plus 2.25. Bummer,
I do know the lower dig. Volume noise increases.

I just bought the rme adi dac fs. I know it’s definitely 4v. Thank god. Rme told me that on xlr that I should use 0.0 and lock it. They also said that I should keep it at that because any minus vol on dac will change noise floor.
I would think same applies to m-dac

Sent an email to Cambridge but takes days to reply.
I do know

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I didn’t ear any clipping. Not that I would know. The same would be or rca on cxa its 2v and m dac plus 2.25. Bummer,

I just bought the rme adi dac fs. I know it’s definitely 4v. Thank god. Rme told me that on xlr that I should use 0.0 and lock it. They also said that I should keep it at that because any minus vol on dac will change noise floor.

I do know
How do you change the volume then? On the amp? I searched on the manual and I didn't find anything about volume control.

OP
T

terrys999

yes on the amp.
i never pushed the amp, 9 oclock on dial its loud enough for me
remember this is an intergrated amp not a power amp

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best would be to lock the pre-amp at noon and to use the RME volume control. The guys at RME were probably high on schnaps when they told you not to use their excellent volume control.

OP
T

terrys999

The best would be to lock the pre-amp at noon and to use the RME volume control. The guys at RME were probably high on schnaps when they told you not to use their excellent volume control.

Haha hoo will try that
I must admit the rme does sound sweet. Iam only a novice. Iam brill at computers ect. No way has knowledgeable ha you guys.
I had this thing about sacds. I have around 2000 sacd ISO’s some sound crap but a few sound amazing, I think it’s just how they were mastered. Built up my gear over 3 yrs probably wasted ££££. Especially mdac it will teach me a lesson.

OP
T

terrys999

you mentioned locking pre at noon, the rme is digi... read out theres no noon!
the rme was a nightmare to setup , lots of menus ect

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I do know

When you say you know its 4v- because you set it to -4.5db?

Question to the room, if you adjust the output settings down like this, what is the point in saying "dont use the digital volume on the DAC"- havent you already done so when lowering the output setting? (I suspect there is a very technical answer why I am very wrong on this)

OP
T

terrys999

When you say you know its 4v- because you set it to -4.5db?

Question to the room, if you adjust the output settings down like this, what is the point in saying "dont use the digital volume on the DAC"- havent you already done so when lowering the output setting? (I suspect there is a very technical answer why I am very wrong on this)

No. The cxa80 is 4 v. I didn’t realise that the m dac is 4.5v iam waiting to find out from Cambridge to see if their xlr as an higher allowed voltage.
Now what I mean by using the rme , was to use correct settings, admin on rme site told me to set the rme to+7dbu
And lock volume at 0.0. Another guy asked on the forum to what settings are best ect. Admin told him to use the amp volume. And to lock Dacs vol at 0.0db I was just commenting on how set my rme up.
The adi 2dac fs has a lot of settings. The manual has 60 odd pages.

Another was asking about setting. Quote

For example if the analog output should operate like a typical HiFi unit @ 2 V output level (equals +8 dBu), set the hardware Ref Level to +13 dBu and Volume to -5 dB. On the DAC a setting of +7 dBu and 0 dB volume would be as good as that and offers highest Signal to Noise Ratio. »
So yes you would be at 2V RMS (+13 dBu/Volume -5), but at +7 dBu volume 0 the level is very close (1,73V RMS) and you have a better SNR (100% of DAC resolution). End quote

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The cxa80 is 4 v. I didn’t realise that the m dac is 4.5v iam waiting to find out from Cambridge to see if their xlr as an higher allowed voltage.
Now what I mean by using the rme , was to use correct settings, admin on rme site told me to set the rme to+7dbu
And lock volume at 0.0. Another guy asked on the forum to what settings are best ect. Admin told him to use the amp volume. And to lock Dacs vol at 0.0db I was just commenting on how set my rme up.
The adi 2dac fs has a lot of settings. The manual has 60 odd pages.

Another was asking about setting. Quote

For example if the analog output should operate like a typical HiFi unit @ 2 V output level (equals +8 dBu), set the hardware Ref Level to +13 dBu and Volume to -5 dB. On the DAC a setting of +7 dBu and 0 dB volume would be as good as that and offers highest Signal to Noise Ratio. »
So yes you would be at 2V RMS (+13 dBu/Volume -5), but at +7 dBu volume 0 the level is very close (1,73V RMS) and you have a better SNR (100% of DAC resolution). End quote

Far too complex for me.

Regarding the mdac to amp situation, if it sounds good I wouldbt worry about it!

OP
T

terrys999

It’s complex yes. It was a nightmare , menus and sub menus

Any way I will see what Cambridge say about mdac plus on cxa80

Thanks for all your help

OP
T

terrys999

Cambridge responded .
They said that sure it’s perfectly safe.
As long as it’s fixed line output.

Cool

Top Bottom