• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP specs with no hiss

Hanierlen

Hi , I wanted to know what are the specs I need to check when looking for dac/amps or just Amps that have no hiss with iems. I'm new at all this audio hobby and I only have the Fiio ka1 and when I plug it into my cellphone with my Ikko OH10 and S12, both don't have any hiss at all. However, when I use the ka1 in my laptop, there is a noticeable kind of static hiss when using my S12 and the OH10 has a beep sound in the left side and it bothers when there's no music playing or when watching videos. This is a problem too because I listen to music at low levesl. I wanted to buy the Qudelix 5k for bt and all of its functionalities, but I'm tempted to get a desktop dac/amp or dac and amp combination because I want to buy a pair of headphones like Hifiman he400, sundara or Senheiser 560 or 6xx in the future, so a gear that works for both iems and headphones would be great. The new Fiio ka7 looks good with both unbalanced and balanced outputs, but I don´t want to get it if it will give me the same problem as the ka1. Any recommendations on what dac/amps I should get are appreciated or maybe just get the Qudelix 5k. My budget is around 200 dollars. Thanks.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the FiiO KA1, when plugged into the phone does not make noise, but does have noise when plugged into the laptop, makes it seem that the laptop is causing the hiss issue, not the Ka1.
Best guess is the laptop's USB port is causing the noise.
Have you tried the Ka1 in all of the laptop's USB ports?
Have you tried the FiiO Ka1 in other computers, to see if you still get the hiss issue?

For a $200 budget, might check out the Schiit Hel 0r the Xduoo XD-05.

OP
H

Hanierlen

If the FiiO KA1, when plugged into the phone does not make noise, but does have noise when plugged into the laptop, makes it seem that the laptop is causing the hiss issue, not the Ka1.
Best guess is the laptop's USB port is causing the noise.
Have you tried the Ka1 in all of the laptop's USB ports?
Have you tried the FiiO Ka1 in other computers, to see if you still get the hiss issue?

For a $200 budget, might check out the Schiit Hel 0r the Xduoo XD-05.
If the laptop is causing the hiss, how can I solve it? I thought that the ka1 was cuasing the hiss because the laptop had more power and actually I can feel it because I don't have the volume as high as I have it on my cellphone.

twsecrest

If the laptop is causing the hiss, how can I solve it? I thought that the ka1 was cuasing the hiss because the laptop had more power and actually I can feel it because I don't have the volume as high as I have it on my cellphone.
It's just my best guess.
Try the ka1 with other devices, see if you get the same hiss.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How high do you have volume/gain set in the pc? Often recommended to run that at full to avoid having the next stage amplify inherent noise....

twsecrest

How high do you have volume/gain set in the pc? Often recommended to run that at full to avoid having the next stage amplify inherent noise....
You want to send a strong signal to the DAC, so best to max out the volume controls on the source (computer).
Like 90 to 100%
If you get noise at 100%, try using a lower volume setting, like 75%.

OP
H

Hanierlen

I think I found the cause. When I have the laptop connected to the charger, the hiss is present, but when i disconnect it, it is gone. Looks like for some reason the extra power is making some noise when connected through the usb port and also the 3.5 mm jack. Does any of you know how to solve this? I've read that a dac or amp with its own battery solves this issue because it doesn't rely on getting power from the laptop, but I'm not sure if that's true and I don't want to buy something that will cause the same problem.

OP
H

Hanierlen

I think I found the cause. When I have the laptop connected to the ´PSU
I don't know. When I connect the ka1, the volume from the fiio app tells me that it can go as low as -63 dB wich is 0 volume and I listen to it at 4 or 8 max which are -44 dB and -36 dB respectively. At least, that is what the app tells me. It doesn't have an option to choose between low and high gain, but I don't think it is necessary for a device with only 45mw output power.

OP
H

Hanierlen

You want to send a strong signal to the DAC, so best to max out the volume controls on the source (computer).
Like 90 to 100%
If you get noise at 100%, try using a lower volume setting, like 75%.
How do I do this? When I plug in the ka1 to the USB port, the volume changes and I only control the volume on the dongle. I use foobar and Tidal and both are at 100 volume, is that what you mean?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I found the cause. When I have the laptop connected to the ´PSU

I don't know. When I connect the ka1, the volume from the fiio app tells me that it can go as low as -63 dB wich is 0 volume and I listen to it at 4 or 8 max which are -44 dB and -36 dB respectively. At least, that is what the app tells me. It doesn't have an option to choose between low and high gain, but I don't think it is necessary for a device with only 45mw output power.
So power supply was culprit, eh? I was thinking more you were using the analog output of the computer, too...didn't recognize the make/model of your dongle.

twsecrest

I think I found the cause. When I have the laptop connected to the charger, the hiss is present, but when i disconnect it, it is gone. Looks like for some reason the extra power is making some noise when connected through the usb port and also the 3.5 mm jack. Does any of you know how to solve this? I've read that a dac or amp with its own battery solves this issue because it doesn't rely on getting power from the laptop, but I'm not sure if that's true and I don't want to buy something that will cause the same problem.
Could the noise be coming from the wall socket?
Are you using a surge protector (or better) with the laptop's A/C power charger unit?

Top Bottom