• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP/Combo

Antz123

Hello All,

I am totally an armchair music enthusiast.

For most of my adult life, I used decent computer speakers, the last one that died on me was the Klipsch 2.1. Once they had died, I started searching for a better audio experience. After many conversations here, reading reviews, and suggestions, I finally bought Kali Audio Lp6 V2. I am really happy with how they sound. To the point, I have not slept much in the past 2-3 days. All songs sound just like good fun. Thank you all for that.

Now, my questions are very basic but guide me in the ride direction.

1) The power buttons and volume boost are on the back of the speakers. This makes things tedious. So should I only go for an Audio Interface or would a DAC make me get into the balanced sound of things?
2) Speakers are active speakers, is using an AMP/DAC combo better? Would an Amp damage a powered monitor?
3) I do not want 2-3 pieces on my desk. I do not want a separate DAC, and Amp sort of arrangement, thus what sort of device will work best in my case?
4) Lastly, should one keep a set of powered speakers switched- on for good? or do I need to always shut them off from behind? You can judge my exposure by the kind of questions I am asking.

My budget would be under 150 USD for any setup. I also think keeping a future subwoofer in mind, I should look at devices that have the 2.1 option.

Thank You

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't use an (external) amp with powered speakers, as you said they already have an (internal) amp built in.

A DAC could get you the volume control. Though I imagine what most here will say is there will be little to no audible gain with an external DAC.

How do you listen e.g. only through your phone, or only through the PC/MAC or...? The use case and what you are trying to achieve will allow people to recomend solutions to your problem. Your problem isn't that you need a DAC, though it may be the solution. Your problem seems to be that you need a volume control. Always start with the Why.

Last edited:
OP
A

Antz123

As rightly advised – by @Trouble Maker

Why am I looking for a solution?

I play music via my PC, rarely from my DAP/Phone. Most of the music that is with me is in various storage solutions. Mostly it is FLAC or Lossless, and some collection is from older CDs that I ripped. Beyond that, my media consumption includes movies, series, anime, and gaming. There are multiple reasons why I am looking for a solution:

• Volume control is a big issue. I prefer a knob (got used to that) for controlling the output.
  • Wondering, if the interface/DAC/amp improves the sound with a balanced connection.
  • Currently, my Motherboard offers a Line-out that I am using to connect the monitors. However, a subwoofer would need a solution. I read up many had suggested something external rather than a sound card.
  • Most of the subwoofers I saw were passive, thus I thought a DAC/DAP combo might help me in the long run.
  • I do not wish to throw or collect electronics on a whim. So whatever I might get, I hope it last through the additions and is a bit future-proof.
  • Phone or DAP connection is rare, as my PC has no wireless solution. Connecting via cable is not always handy.
Also, as I had mentioned – I am really not sure can active monitors be left on for good. Do I need to switch them every time I am done with my work?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get a DAC with volume control and XLR + RCA output within your budget, but that will be hard. You’ll be able to add an active sub later (there are plenty of active subs), and can use the DAC to volume control the speakers. Alternatively you can get a y-cable and connect sub and speakers on a single connector. Something like SMSL C100 may work for you, otherwise Topping E50 has dual output, but is a bit more expensive.

As for leaving the speakers running 24/7: they don’t have auto-standby, so will draw more than needed when not in use. Also it will lower the lifetime of the product a bit. If the power is not easily reachable, put them on a switchable power strip.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Power: No problem leaving them on but it you prefer to turn them off then a smart outlet strip outlet could work. You plug your computer into the control outlet, the control outlet senses when the computer comes on and powers up other plugs on the outlet strip.

If you just need volume control you can get just a volume controller. Presonus, Behringer and Kali make them. The Kali one also does bluetooth which didn't test well with Amir but I don't think he tested the analog input as just a volume control. I don't remember so you'd have to check the review.

Here are some inexpensive models.

One with Bluetooth
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tion-bt-2.1-monitor-controller-with-bluetooth

For a DAC combo the topping DX3 Pro+ refurburshed would be great for $170

without bluetooth the SMSL M3 would work

Or a refurbished SMSL D-6

As far as adding a sub in the future, look at one of the Kali subs. They just came out with a small one. You connect your cable from the computer (or DAC/volume control) to the sub instead of the speakers, you then run cables from your sub to the speakers. If you don't use a Kali sub make sure you get one with stereo line in and line out. Most subs made for monitors will work fine.

Glad you are enjoying your new speakers!
I think the Kali's are truly one of the best values.

OP
A

Antz123

Sorry, I have been away.

@voodooless

I shall check SNSL C1000, Toping E50 is highly rated. Thus, I checked on its prices and it was costing me around 240 USD with taxes.

Ideally, I thought the speakers might be going into standby mode, however, was unsure. The power strip seems a relatively easier solution.

@Ellebob

Power strip as suggested previously seems to be a simpler solution. I found a simpler one with an on-off switch. I shall plug this one in my main power strip that takes care of the comp and switch this on/off for the speakers. I ordered it today. So switching off is nicely sorted .
IMG_20230504_144534.jpg

I am in India, and most of the simpler electronic products aren’t easily available here. Ones that are, cost me a bomb with shipping and taxes. My Kali Lp6 V2 cost me around 500 USD in India. Leaving me happy but broke haha.

Thus, the woofer is not planned for the near future but many months down the line. I was looking more at AMP DAC to be future-proof when it comes down to the subwoofer.

A decent DAC as you and Voodoo suggested was costing me over 150$. Whereas, a good Amp (That also says it's a DAC) costs me less than 150$.

I thought a decent AMP would run the cables, handle the volume, and take care of the subwoofer as well. I need to find something that is within budget and goes with my future plans.

Top Bottom