• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D&D8C versus KEF LS60 shootout!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Picked up a pair of my dem 8Cs at the end of last week and thought I might set them next to LS60’s which have been emboldened with the addition of 2xKC62 subs,

I will write some completely subjective nonsense, because I read my first ever copy of ‘What Hi-Fi’ yesterday while waiting at the dentist’s and now know how to write quite long paragraphs without saying anything.
What a magazine, everything receives five stars, and the one single measurement I could find was the physical dimensions of a ‘Fyne’. loudspeaker which btw I now know is robust but unsophisticated.
As an aside just measured the 8Cs with REW which since the integration with REW could hardly be simpler ( even I can do it) I can see a near future where dealers will be complete redundant!
Keith

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will write some completely subjective nonsense, because I read my first ever copy of ‘What Hi-Fi’ yesterday ...

Can you make sure and include something about the Pink Floyd alarm clocks? Whether the one finally allowed you to hear the space between the time of day, and how the other allowed you to finally hear the difference between the Westclox Big Ben, and the Baby Ben?

I don't know about anyone else, but that's the stuff that always interests me in the reviews, and the stuff I find helpful when making big-dollar purchases.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Pink who?
Keith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Picked up a pair of my dem 8Cs at the end of last week and thought I might set them next to LS60’s which have been emboldened with the addition of 2xKC62 subs,

I will write some completely subjective nonsense, because I read my first ever copy of ‘What Hi-Fi’ yesterday while waiting at the dentist’s and now know how to write quite long paragraphs without saying anything.
What a magazine, everything receives five stars, and the one single measurement I could find was the physical dimensions of a ‘Fyne’. loudspeaker which btw I now know is robust but unsophisticated.
As an aside just measured the 8Cs with REW which since the integration with REW could hardly be simpler ( even I can do it) I can see a near future where dealers will be complete redundant!
Keith
I can’t imagine the Kef sub will be of any benefit to the 8c.

FrankW

Won't that vibration pad thing make the notes sound cleaner?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Digby

Major Contributor
and the one single measurement I could find was the physical dimensions of a ‘Fyne’. loudspeaker which btw I now know is robust but unsophisticated.
the kind of loudspeaker you might want tiling your bathroom, but not suitable for bringing to a wine and cheese evening at the local art gallery.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Every woman I have ever been out with.
Keith

Galliardist

Major Contributor
What HiFi was essential "reading" back in the '80s as it was then the only place to find the specifications (though not measurements) for most components on sale in the UK, in the pages at the back, and the occasional news article that wasn't a press release.

i guess history has passed it by.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I found it interesting that many of the ‘What-HiFi’ recommended products are the very same products which are held in high regard within the U.K. forums I can’t think this is just coincidence it would seem the magazine has an influence.
There was a review on a DCS product where it was stated that it’s performance could be improved by adding the additional DCS clock, no technical reason why it would or would not just an assumption.
Conversely they stated that the sane DCS product’s streaming component wasn’t up to snuff and should be replaced with another additional product, bizarre the focus appears to be very much based on selling product whether it is needed or not.
Keith

TSB

I have seen reviews in What Hifi for products where my company is involved in the project and we know not a single one has been produced at the time of 'review'.

Reviews singing high praise for features that one of my colleagues were at that moment still implementing.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I have seen reviews in What Hifi for products where my company is involved in the project and we know not a single one has been produced at the time of 'review'.

Reviews singing high praise for features that one of my colleagues were at that moment still implementing.
Oh dear. I know from a HiFi News editorial that an American review of the PS Audio Directstream DAC when it first came out carefully described the effects of the filters before they'd even been written. It sounds like this may be a regular practice across parts of the print media.

It used to be that when a product was reviewed before release that it was at least declared in the article. Reviewed before existence though? That's a new one on me, though these days I admit I'm not surprised.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I found it interesting that many of the ‘What-HiFi’ recommended products are the very same products which are held in high regard within the U.K. forums I can’t think this is just coincidence it would seem the magazine has an influence.
There was a review on a DCS product where it was stated that it’s performance could be improved by adding the additional DCS clock, no technical reason why it would or would not just an assumption.
Conversely they stated that the sane DCS product’s streaming component wasn’t up to snuff and should be replaced with another additional product, bizarre the focus appears to be very much based on selling product whether it is needed or not.
Keith
There's an element of the other way round to this as well, their reviews often reflect the prejudices of their readers (stuff they think won't be liked gets four stars, the worst insult they can give after agreeing to review). That may be the case with the DCS streaming component: DCS were and I presume are using DTS Play-Fi which is generally disliked in the UK for some reason.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
bizarre the focus appears to be very much based on selling product whether it is needed or not.
How is that bizarre? These magazines' sole purpose is to help sell more products for advertisers. All of these so-called reviews are actually advertorials.

Reviewed before existence though? That's a new one on me, though these days I admit I'm not surprised.
No problem, see what ChatGPT just made up:
Introducing the newest addition to the audio world: the "Harmonix Luxe" speaker system from the luxurious brand "Sonora Acoustics." This revolutionary high-end speaker system is a true masterpiece of engineering and design, boasting a stunning array of features that will elevate your listening experience to unprecedented heights.

Firstly, the Harmonix Luxe comes with a state-of-the-art titanium dome tweeter that delivers crystal clear highs with exceptional accuracy and detail. The mid-range drivers are composed of a patented blend of Kevlar and Nomex, which produces a perfectly balanced and natural sound, while the woofers are made of carbon fiber for maximum rigidity and minimal distortion.

The Harmonix Luxe also comes equipped with a unique and innovative subwoofer technology that utilizes a specially designed port to reduce noise and eliminate distortion, resulting in deep, powerful bass that can be felt as well as heard. The system's internal components are carefully placed to minimize sound interference and ensure that each note is reproduced with perfect clarity.

During our extensive listening tests, the Harmonix Luxe impressed us with its unparalleled sound quality, delivering an immersive and captivating listening experience. The speakers are capable of reproducing every detail of a recording, from the subtlest nuances to the most thunderous crescendos, with stunning accuracy and fidelity.

The Harmonix Luxe also boasts a sleek and sophisticated design that blends seamlessly with any decor. The speakers are crafted from premium materials, including brushed aluminum and tempered glass, which not only add to the system's aesthetic appeal but also help to dampen unwanted vibrations and resonance.

In conclusion, the "Harmonix Luxe" speaker system from "Sonora Acoustics" is a true game-changer in the world of high-end audio. Its advanced technology, stunning design, and unparalleled sound quality make it a must-have for any serious audiophile. We highly recommend it to anyone looking for the ultimate listening experience.
... to state the obvious: none of this is real ;)

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When can we expect subjective impressions from this shootout? I seem to remember waiting forever on the same between Dutch and Kii back in the days, but the subjective impressions never materialized.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... to state the obvious: none of this is real ;)
...this is the most accurate, concise and encompassing "truth" stated since Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum" or Duchamp's "Anything is art if an artist says it is.".

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F440b9a8c-818a-11ea-9de8-8714f28a52b2.jpg

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Top Bottom