• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could it be I prefer my Sony v6 over my Sennheiser 6xx?

Dogen

Forum Donor
A few days ago I received a new Sennheiser 6xx. After listening to it many hours, there are things it does very well. I’ll call it “tonality” - the ability to hear the particular characteristics of each instrument. That’s stellar with the 6xx. It’s a non-fatiguing listen for sure. But going back to my Sony v6, the highs seem clearer and overall the “startle factor” and impact seem superior. I can see why the v6 is used for mixing - there’s a sense on hearing deeper into the mix. I find the 6xx better for jazz and acoustic, while the Sony is better for rock, pop and funk. I’m glad I have the 6xx, but they won’t be an automatic choice for all music.

So is this how the headphone addiction begins? A quixotic pursuit of the perfect pair, leading to a shelf full of cans?

I guess the upshot is, there’s a new appreciation for the v6 as a really nice, inexpensive option, and for the things it does well. And, an appreciation that preferences are so dependent how each of us hears in our own individual way.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It makes sense. MDR-V6 have too much bass and treble, HD 6XX have too little of both, so in some cases MDR-V6 might be preferable.
You could try to EQ your HD 6XX to sound more neutral. That way they should suit all types of music.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphone preferences are very personal I think. If you enjoy headphones which may not have the recognition of some others then there is nothing unusual about that. I love the Sony MDR Z7 and would rather listen to them than many much more lauded models.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
It makes sense. MDR-V6 have too much bass and treble, HD 6XX have too little of both, so in some cases MDR-V6 might be preferable.
You could try to EQ your HD 6XX to sound more neutral. That way they should suit all types of music.

Do you have any thoughts about inexpensive headphones that split the difference well?

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have any thoughts about inexpensive headphones that split the difference well?
Depends on what you mean by inexpensive.
Audio-Technica ATH-M20x are cheap and have all the ranges covered, but still have a very uneven response.
Sennheiser HD 599 are similar to HD 650. The roll-off in the bass isn't as severe, but it comes at the expense of a more bloated mid/upper bass. Their treble is much more accurate. All around well-balanced headphones and supposedly very comfortable, too.

garbulky

Major Contributor
A few days ago I received a new Sennheiser 6xx. After listening to it many hours, there are things it does very well. I’ll call it “tonality” - the ability to hear the particular characteristics of each instrument. That’s stellar with the 6xx. It’s a non-fatiguing listen for sure. But going back to my Sony v6, the highs seem clearer and overall the “startle factor” and impact seem superior. I can see why the v6 is used for mixing - there’s a sense on hearing deeper into the mix. I find the 6xx better for jazz and acoustic, while the Sony is better for rock, pop and funk. I’m glad I have the 6xx, but they won’t be an automatic choice for all music.

So is this how the headphone addiction begins? A quixotic pursuit of the perfect pair, leading to a shelf full of cans?

I guess the upshot is, there’s a new appreciation for the v6 as a really nice, inexpensive option, and for the things it does well. And, an appreciation that preferences are so dependent how each of us hears in our own individual way.
If you compare the HD600 to the HD6xx you may notice a difference in the highs. The HD600's are brighter vs the HD6xx.

D

Deleted member 5017

I have HD 600's and HD 700's. I used my UMIK and REW to EQ the 600's closer to the 700's with close-miking. My Chord Mojo has dual HP outputs, so I just switched between headphones while playing the same section over and over.

The 600's sounded nearly as nice as the 700's, but were obviously different, in a way I can't describe. I prefer the 700's a bit. The 600's clamp hard to the head, which doesn't help. The 700's are very gently clamped.

FWIW.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I have HD 600's and HD 700's. I used my UMIK and REW to EQ the 600's closer to the 700's with close-miking. My Chord Mojo has dual HP outputs, so I just switched between headphones while playing the same section over and over.

The 600's sounded nearly as nice as the 700's, but were obviously different, in a way I can't describe. I prefer the 700's a bit. The 600's clamp hard to the head, which doesn't help. The 700's are very gently clamped.

FWIW.
Interesting. I find the HD600 to have a gentle clamping force and I wish it had a bit more. Granted my HD600's are well over a decade old and have been through quite a lot so that may explain that.

Headphonaholic

Welcome to the addiction! I think part of the joy of the headphone addiction is discovering the differences between various cans. There is also the benefit of easy swapping between them when you want to switch things up :)

Are you looking for something fairly neutral? Well that is a tough thing to find for cheap. Most cheaper headphones have some heavy coloration, generally in the bass department or simply have a V-shaped sound signature many refer to.

Just quickly thinking through my collection... perhaps look into a pair of MassdropxHifiman HE4XX. I haven't heard every headphone under $200 but it offers really good value at $169. It has a more balanced signature with good air and space. They're natural sounding, nothing sounds exaggerated. If I could only have one headphone under $200 it would be these. Also in case you are wondering they do indeed sound different than the HE-400i's which are nice as well. I like to think of the HE4XX as the slightly more fun twin while the HE400i's are more calm. You can snag a pair for roughly the same price.

When it comes to sub $100 I think my recommendations for open back would be the Audio Technica ATH-AD500X, although it's very bass shy. As for closed back I would say Takstar Pro82's or the Sony MDR7506's (or V6's) are a great pick (which you already have). Both the Takstars and Sony's are a V-shaped, although the Takstars have better better soundstage.

If you up your budget between $100-200 the HE4XX as I mentioned is a top choice in my opinion. However in the closed back realm the Beyerdynamic DT770's are nice, although one should be warned there is a treble spike that mars an otherwise satisfying and fun sound signature. AKG K553 Pro's are another decent closed back headphone, been a bit since I've listened to them.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Because of the way I listen - iTunes over Airplay to Airport Express to amp - I would need to apply EQ in the headphone amp (iTunes is used for stereo system listening as well, so I don’t want to equalize in iTunes). Are there any decent desktop headphone amps that allow equalization, or a dedicated equalizer I can use with my current amp (Topping D3)? I feel the 6xx is a good basis for EQ, but I’m struggling with how to achieve that with my setup.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most convenient but expensive would probably be replacing your DX3 with an RME ADI-2 DAC as it has a built in 5 band PEQ.

Cheaper, but significanly larger would be a Behringer DEQ2496 which has digital ins and outs with a 10 band PEQ.

Top Bottom