• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are you guys also looking at low profile center speaker for acoustics transparent application? Something straight instead of curved like the JBL Pro series.
We've looked at a straight version. It would require eiher DSP or multiple amps. The DSP capability isn't available today. Multiple amps with low distortion will bring the cost up. Thus, not something that we plan in near future for the home market.

MKR

Major Contributor
I have many speakers since I'm into designing them. We (me and Don Keele) are also working on a new CBT speaker.
@Bjorn Any update on the speaker development work of you and Don? I thought I read somewhere you were also working on a new horn design in addition to CBT?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Bjorn Any update on the speaker development work of you and Don? I thought I read somewhere you were also working on a new horn design in addition to CBT?
We completely redesigned the shading network which improved the polar. This has taken a lot of time. Still some work to do for the practical implementation of the network.

Yes, the horn design is basically ready. It's now a matter of working out the finish and implementing the DSP. It's 2-way horn with exceptional uniform directivity combined with a separate subwoofer with dual 18" woofers.
Pictures of the midbass horn below.
received_754181642314469.jpeg

received_926571761635928.jpeg

Eurasian

Forum Donor
We completely redesigned the shading network which improved the polar. This has taken a lot of time. Still some work to do for the practical implementation of the network.

Yes, the horn design is basically ready. It's now a matter of working out the finish and implementing the DSP. It's 2-way horn with exceptional uniform directivity combined with a separate subwoofer with dual 18" woofers.
View attachment 246115

View attachment 246116
Beautiful work!

MKR

Major Contributor
Wow! I think I’m gonna need a bigger boat (aka, listening room) :D. I certainly didn’t expect those monsters. Beautiful work indeed, but my wife would divorce me if I brought those into the house. I expect for the lucky folks with the space, they are in for some incredible sonics.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Wow! I think I’m gonna need a bigger boat (aka, listening room) :D. I certainly didn’t expect those monsters. Beautiful work indeed, but my wife would divorce me if I brought those into the house. I expect for the lucky folks with the space, they are in for some incredible sonics.
Height, width relate directly to lowest frequency of pattern control. Physics is annoying.

yourmando

View attachment 246115

View attachment 246116
Nice. What would be the minimum listening distance for 2 way horns that large to sum properly?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nice. What would be the minimum listening distance for 2 way horns that large to sum properly?
Approximately 2m (6.5').

We have a smaller horn we've been working on too. With wider directivity and will be combined with a 15" woofer in a vented enclosure. However, the design isn't ready yet. The midrange horn you see below is a prototype, but whether this will be the final design or not is uncertain.
K&O Tech Compact midrange horn.jpg

I'll bring info about these speakers and also another speaker design when the time is ready in separate threads.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Approximately 2m (6.5').

We have a smaller horn we've been working on too. With wider directivity and will be combined with a 15" woofer in a vented enclosure. However, the design isn't ready yet. The midrange horn you see below is a prototype, but whether this will be the final design or not is uncertain.
View attachment 246161

I'll bring info about these speakers and also another speaker design when the time is ready in separate threads.
Very nice stuff! I love seeing horn stuff. I ran a tri-amp'd active X-over system with horns for years and I loved it.

Andrej

@Bjorn I am in the process of building an upper-bass/lower midrange (150Hz - 1100Hz) horn, which is about 60 cm x 100cm at the mouth, using 3/4" MDF. I have found it to resonate too much for my liking. How do you make your large horn so that it does not color the sound by resonant vibrations? I can clearly hear mine resonating, albeit rarely. Thanks!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Bjorn I am in the process of building an upper-bass/lower midrange (150Hz - 1100Hz) horn, which is about 60 cm x 100cm at the mouth, using 3/4" MDF. I have found it to resonate too much for my liking. How do you make your large horn so that it does not color the sound by resonant vibrations? I can clearly hear mine resonating, albeit rarely. Thanks!
I'm afraid I can't assist you there since I'm doing this commercially. I'm sure you can get some valuable input at the DIY forum.

To bring the thread back on topic, I'll share a picture from my small home theater with an early CBT prototype we did.
IMG20221023162303.jpg

MKR

Major Contributor
I'm afraid I can't assist you there since I'm doing this commercially. I'm sure you can get some valuable input at the DIY forum.

To bring the thread back on topic, I'll share a picture from my small home theater with an early CBT prototype we did.
View attachment 246411
Wow, very nice. What is the status of your commercial CBT offering?

Thanks

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Or you can check out Monte Kay's CBT HT project -- for the center channel, click the "Center Speaker" button.
I'm aware of it and my comment still persists. Why would anyone want a wide vertical directivity and very narrow horizontal beamwidth?

Unless it's a completely different CBT with a very different beamwidth, the only right CBT center speaker would be standing one.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm aware of it and my comment still persists. Why would anyone want a wide vertical directivity and very narrow horizontal beamwidth?

Unless it's a completely different CBT with a very different beamwidth, the only right CBT center speaker would be standing one.
The reason is given in the center speaker page. Whether you agree with it or not is a separate question.

cbt_center.png

Measurement
centr%20on%20axis%20and%2010%20deg%20increments.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you can check out Monte Kay's CBT HT project -- for the center channel, click the "Center Speaker" button.
Yikes!

The systen includes twenty Dayton Reference 6" drivers, fifty Aura 2" drivers, and one hundred thirty two Tang Band 1/2" tweeters. The crossover is managed with a Behringer DCX2496 currently but this will be replaced with a miniDSP "nanoDigi" processor in the future.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Another aspect with a laying center is the loss of the doubling of the array and one will get a floor bounce besides a large amount of specular reflections from floor and ceiling unlike a standing CBT. It basically doesn't function as a CBT anymore. But looks cool though.

Top Bottom