• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Very nice project there, @gnarly. I’m a bit envious.

My understanding of the tech is that your use of 6 banks of 4 drivers would be more than sufficient to get the full acoustic performance. More of an issue would be the driver spacing, which is too great to create the CBT effect above 4-5 kHz. Plus, assuming the drive units are typical of the breed, they might start to individually beam above 6-8 kHz, which is also something Keele was trying to avoid. Nevertheless, great job.

cheers
His version has 72! Tweeters per side to deal with that.

TiFi Speakers

Audio Company
Forum Donor
It seems that some aspects of living room sound reflections have not yet been fully explained. As a general rule, I have always considered that floor and ceiling reflections are unnecessary or even detrimental to achieving perfect sound at the listening spot. However, there are numerous examples that challenge this belief.

One obvious example is CBT, where part of the sound is directed upwards. Another example, not yet fully explained to me, is the Linkwitz LXMini DIY, which was measured here: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/linkwitz_lx_mini/ (with Erin comments). The same applies to the TiFi Elf, measured here: https://tifi.ee/en/content/10-elf-spinorama. (In TiFi's assortment, there are other speakers that have a much more ideal sound profile than the Elf. Still, the Elf is preferred in listening sessions with a ratio of 95% vs. 5%. There may be other reasons, but it could also be a difference in the vertical HF reflection profile. But can not prove...) The final aspect to consider is Dolby Atmos. I suspect that there was some non-public research behind the selection of the height dimension. Of course, these are all speculations.

The unexplained part is what makes the audio field so interesting, expect as much the "Everything affects everything" when designing speakers.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In TiFi's assortment, there are other speakers that have a much more ideal sound profile than the Elf. Still, the Elf is preferred in listening sessions with a ratio of 95% vs. 5%. There may be other reasons, but it could also be a difference in the vertical HF reflection profile. But can not prove...
"Easy" to test: Do controlled listening tests with and without a ceiling absorber or reflector.

TiFi Speakers

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Do controlled listening tests with and without a ceiling absorber or reflector.
Thank you for the proposal. You are correct. One of the hints to propose that this is about vertical is the difference in sound in rooms with lower ceiling. There TiFi Elf shines more. But regarding proper double blind test with ceiling absorber I can make a promise. If TiFi Speakers will be as large as Harman - we will do it!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Surprised hos much nonsense is being shared here. The CBT greatly minimizes ceiling reflections. One of its strengths of course.

markus

Thank you for the proposal. You are correct. One of the hints to propose that this is about vertical is the difference in sound in rooms with lower ceiling. There TiFi Elf shines more. But regarding proper double blind test with ceiling absorber I can make a promise. If TiFi Speakers will be as large as Harman - we will do it!
You could mount a reflective panel at the ceiling that can be tilted with two strings. Should be simple to build and effective for a first evaluation.

markus

Surprised hos much nonsense is being shared here. The CBT greatly minimizes ceiling reflections. One of its strengths of course.
Yes it does. As far as I can see, no one has claimed the opposite?

Last edited:

TiFi Speakers

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The CBT greatly minimizes ceiling reflections.
image_2024-04-25_210417456.png
It is best to look what has been discussed and illustrated in Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, Third Edition, by Floyd E. Toole, page 278 (picture one of seven referred) There is comparison of 7 different types of sound sources compared in vertical axis. So everyone can estimate there the differences, and also think of profiles of some higher frequencies and different loudspeakers. I suppose better characterization is homogenized ceiling reflections (and sound field over frequencies). As for "reduced" it has to be specific comparison.

Top Bottom