• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting two speakers to my behringer phoria umc1820 sound card to give the highest output

kulak

Hello, I want to connect two speakers to my behringer u phoria umc1820 sound card and reach the highest sound level I can get. When I connect it to the line outputs on the back of the card, I hear a low sound. When I connect it to the headphone jacks on the front of the card, I hear louder sound (80db), but the sound I get is not at the level I want, I want to get a sound exceeding 100 db. How can I reach this level with my current card without adding any amplifiers?
note: there is no amplifier in my speakers
speaker brand denox

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An audio interface is not a speaker amplifier…. Get an amplifier!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! If the max output of the device you are using is 80dB and you'd like to reach 100dB, then you clearly need signal level to be increased by 20dB. No matter what you might want to call it, a device that increases the signal levels by 20dB would be an amplifier. You are getting louder output from headphone amp probably because it can reach higher voltage than the line outs, but there is nothing sensible you can do to increase the voltage any further other then putting an amplifier between your sound card and speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
20 dB means you’ll need 100x the power.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hello, I want to connect two speakers to my behringer u phoria umc1820 sound card and reach the highest sound level I can get. When I connect it to the line outputs on the back of the card, I hear a low sound. When I connect it to the headphone jacks on the front of the card, I hear louder sound (80db), but the sound I get is not at the level I want, I want to get a sound exceeding 100 db. How can I reach this level with my current card without adding any amplifiers?
speaker brand denox
What type of speakers do you have?

Many modern active speakers have the possibility to adjust the gain of their internal amps.

Short of adding an external as previous posters have pointed out, this would be the only option left to try.

Edit. See below. Please discard that advice above as I have overlooked that you have passive speakers.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What type of speakers do you have?

Many modern active speakers have the possibility to adjust the gain of their internal amps.

Short of adding an external as previous posters have pointed out, this would be the only option left to try.
He said his speakers are passive.

OP
kulak

kulak

Do you think I can get a higher output if I change my sound card and use Motu mk5. (UMC1820 dynamic range is 106 DB, but Motu mk5 dynamic range is 125 dB)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Do you think I can get a higher output if I change my sound card and use Motu mk5. (UMC1820 dynamic range is 106 DB, but Motu mk5 dynamic range is 125 dB)
No.

The dynamic range in simple terms defines the noise floor (difference between loudest signal and noise signal) and not the output voltage (power) you get to drive speakers or power amps.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand why you think that way - if a product has more dynamic range, that should mean it can go louder. But unfortunately that is not the case. Dynamic range means what is the level difference between loudest and softest parts it can record and play. It does not say anything about the output level of the device. Let me put it this way, line level is 1.2V in pro audio if I am not mistaken. 125dB Dynamic Range means that the device can play sounds 125dB lower than line level before noise dominates. It does not mean it take a signal and amplifies it by 125dB.

Do you know what is the sensitivity of your speakers? They are usually given as 80dB/V or 80db/W format. Maybe it is written somewhere?

OP
kulak

kulak

like this

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-14 at 14.32.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-14 at 14.32.39.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. You will need some form of amplification if you want your speakers to play louder.

OP
kulak

kulak

Hoparlörlerinizin ve amplifikatörünüzün modelini bize verebilir misiniz?
Konuşmacım: Denox kapalı stüdyo serisi
modeli: stüdyo-5W
Ses kartım: behringer u phoria UMC 1820

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong, but you're trying to drive passive speakers with the headphone output of your audio interface.
You need to purchase an external amplifier to drive your speakers. Your audio chain needs to be: audio interface -> audio amplifier -> speakers.

Top Bottom