• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comins GCS-1 Buzz

YooperMichigan

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a Comins GCS-1 and a Fender Blues Junior (pictured). I record with it into an iMac, either direct through a Scarlet i88 or a Zoom R16 or with the amp & microphone Shure 57.

The guitar has a terrible buzz. It is not the amp as it is apparent when I run the guitar directly into the iMac as well.

I’ve tried all the usual suspects…it sounds like a 60 cycle ground loop…but I don't believe it is, when I touch the strings, jack etc it is a little better … I know, I know this is “normal” but it isn’t, it can’t be…it’s a low drone beneath everything I record it’s terrible.

I am running everything through the same house circuit…I even turned everything off in the house via the breaker panel except the guitar and amp, still BUZZ.

I am using a surge protector with RMI filtering, still buzz...UNLESS I set my foot on the surge protector (with no sock on) then it goes away completely!

I tried a ground lift (just to test)...made it worse.
I tried a HumX eliminator…it only made it worse!
I tried two isolation boxes, one made it worse, the other made it quieter but at a sever loss of tone and in the end you just need to adjust the volume so not a real fix.
I tried balance cables, I know, unless but I tried.

It’s a semi hollow so shielding is out.

I recently had the guitar rewired, the buzz was there before the rewire and and still is. Guitar tech says it’s normal but it just can’t be…it’s a terrible noise.

Please help, I play mostly clean, so it is very noticeable in recordings.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpeg
    IMG_4342.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom