• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it gave a very poor quality espresso grind and the static discharge into the collection jar was a joke
There is a low tech fix for static from grinders, referred to as the Ross Droplet Technique (RDT), add a tiny amount if water to the beans before grinding, works like magic if you have static problems.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish espresso also could be measured!
k06160.gif
so we could prove the placebo effect of raccoon poop Hi-end coffee!
What is the obsession in people's minds about poop coffee, it's a gimmick, that the media love for the story.

Quality in coffee is determined by a process called cupping, basically blind taste testing with a standardised score sheet, it's how the speciality industry selects coffee, high scoring coffees can demand high prices, especially if the crop is tiny. I don't remember a poop coffee ever offered by a quality focused roaster.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Starting with cold water, about 3 min, give-or-take. Let it rise but not boil, and poor.
So you let it rise to a low boil slowly? I was using a espresso cast aluminum 2 layer boil-it device that worked OK but it was too bitter and not enough chocO or exotic flavour. I think the oil was being killed by overheating.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know microwave coffee is changed with the microwave oven cooking properties.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
So you let it rise to a low boil slowly?

No boil at all - "coffee boiled is coffee spoiled!" - just let the froth rise to the top once and be done.

I have a couple of those turkish coffee pots - all are copper or brass. The authentic way to brew is on/in hot sand (eg, on a tray), I just use a gas burner. :)

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Have you ever tried the pinch of cardamom? I'm not sure that Kona is the best fit though I would certainly try it if I could. We spent our honeymoon on the big island and visited some small Kona producers, nothing quite like going right from the roaster into the cup. Everyone has that thing they passed on and later regretted, while in Hawaii there was a 9 acre Kona plantation with house for sale at $110,000 but the timing was just bad.

Last edited:

devopsprodude

Pourover (Chemex), any good Swiss water method decaf (Water Avenue's coffee is great, or Coava), Baratza burr grinder. 1 to 15 grind to water ratio. Water temp of no more than 205 F.

Before anyone throws shade at me for drinking caffeine, don't bother. Good decaf tastes just as good as good coffee. Plus the caffeine in coffee makes me feel ill.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aged dark roasted Sumatra...

sumatra.jpg

olive00

Now I am drinking decaf coffee. It’s coffee from coffee beans that have had at least 97% of their caffeine removed. I just want to reduce the negative effects of caffeine on my organism, especially on the heart. I can also drink it after 18 hours and I will still sleep normally, this is a big plus for me.Іf you compare decaf coffee and regular coffee, there is almost no difference between them. Well, unless decaf has a less expressive, softer taste and aroma, but it's still delicious.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
...and here is my "emergency caffeine supply line" - to refill the mug during colleague's tirade on Zoom.

[Through long trail-and-error, found Tully's French Roast a particularly satisfying combination of strength, smoothness and taste.]

IMG_1349.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
an Espresso machine will save you money over time vs. the pods

Disclosure: I do have a pod machine right now, but it is going bye bye

deprogrammed

Philistine here. Duncan Donuts ground coffee. As hot as the tap will go. Add 1/2 cup of sugar. Stir. Large diffuser and overnight in the fridge.

Like sweet tea but coffee. Fantastic.

Funny how people make hobbies complicated. Be it coffee or audio. :p And lord knows I am guilty of this so not casting stones.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
an Espresso machine will save you money over time vs. the pods

Disclosure: I do have a pod machine right now, but it is going bye bye
So which machine did you decide to purchase?

Top Bottom