• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the USA we like our Bunn coffee makers.
this is from a post from member Rod and it looks just like my setup. Except my scale is elsewhere because I measure beans by volume rather than weight before grinding them.

There is a lot more caffeine going in your mug than in an espresso cup... this is not a problem however....

gene_stl

Forum Donor
My two sons who are both unrepentant coffee addicts both LOVE Dunkin Donuts coffee because they don't have the working half time time that I do.
So I buy it for them in large containers at Costco. We sample various whole bean bags there and the latest is actual Italian coffee from a company called Lavazza. It is always a blind test for my wife and she identified it as better without knowing she was drinking it.

I have three expresso machines but haven't used them in a long time. I am afraid I will spend all my time make expresso or worse, decide I "need" to by an expensive maschine.:rolleyes:;)

mansr

Major Contributor
My two sons who are both unrepentant coffee addicts both LOVE Dunkin Donuts coffee because they don't have the working half time time that I do.
So I buy it for them in large containers at Costco. We sample various whole bean bags there and the latest is actual Italian coffee from a company called Lavazza. It is always a blind test for my wife and she identified it as better without knowing she was drinking it.
As you well know, tests need to be double blind. Otherwise you risk spilling the beans.

gene_stl

Forum Donor
As you well know, tests need to be double blind. Otherwise you risk spilling the beans.
;):cool:

I have been with my Mrs. for 50 years. During the first half I had to stop her from drinking coffee with dinner because the caffeine kept her awake.
I tried to get decaffeinated coffee of numerous types and she would always take one sip and go "Blech!"
During one of the first surges of specialty coffee popularity (maybe 30-35 years ago) a delicatessen we frequent (actually was the best on the planet at the time) put in a display of bins of different coffees. I was chatting with the proprietor and the subject of decaffeinating my wife came up. He gave me a knowing smile. "I have exactly what you need" Swiss process decaffeinated, dark roast whole beans" "They are so good she'll never know they have been decaffeinated" OK so give me a pound of them.

I took them home. I loaded a fat load into the grinder. I used a light load of water. I made her a cup of coffee. She took a sip. "Is this decaf????"
I already knew better than to ever try to fool this woman but that was the last time I tried to decaffeinate her.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
No boil at all - "coffee boiled is coffee spoiled!" - just let the froth rise to the top once and be done.

I have a couple of those turkish coffee pots - all are copper or brass. The authentic way to brew is on/in hot sand (eg, on a tray), I just use a gas burner. :)

the traditional ones are all copper
the authentic way? that's just a modern take/show for tourists
probably the best turkish coffee i had was in a few places over the balkan region where it's risen three times :)

Vuki

My granddad manufactured them by copper spinning. They are tinned inside. I still have couple of those :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_065248.jpg
    IMG_20210411_065248.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 96

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i only got one of those left and i'm holding onto it for dear life :( and as sad as it sounds, there's almost noone left making them, the market got spammed with cheap chinese stamped crap....

sure, they don't work on induction plates so i have to take an old electric heater out that's probably as old as me, but hey, you have to spoil yourself from time to time, right?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am an AeroPress fan, although I only use it a few times a month. James Hoffman just released the first of several videos on the AeroPress, its history, best techniques etc. It is a great place to start if you have not used one before. I think he makes an interesting point that if you follow basic directions it is difficult to get bad coffee from an AeroPress, but that there are many views on how to get great coffee from it. I look forward to chapter 2.

I am a low pressure brewing fan, so while I use an Oxobrew most mornings for ease and speed, I prefer low pressure brewing like the AeroPress, a mocha pot, or the now hard to find classic Krups Mocha Brew. Subjectively they brew a more nuanced/complex cup than drip, but I await Amir's tests before final judgement ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody want to diss the Gaggia Super-Automatic espresso, latte machines before I buy one? Main need is a morning latte...

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody want to diss the Gaggia Super-Automatic espresso, latte machines before I buy one? Main need is a morning latte...
Sure I'll bite. Gaggia is for people who can't afford a Jura :eek:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Juras all have that outboard milk frother - that's a no go for me

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Juras all have that outboard milk frother - that's a no go for me
They are all "outboard" is some fashion because you have to store the milk carafe in the fridge. With the Jura, you purchase a ridiculously overpriced container and then just insert the plastic tube when using. It's very easy.

JURA Milk Container

nobodynoz

Lavazza and illy are producing very good coffee. I use illy Classico..

Capture d’écran 2021-04-15 à 22.21.42.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a breville barista express espresso machine this week over a couple of days and thought it made a good cup of espresso and a good latte. It let me dial in the grind and volume and gave good feedback on the pressure I was getting. Although at $700 I can walk to 2 different coffee shops from my house and buy a lot of cappuccinos, made by professionals, before I get to that amount of money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH9QWOU

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Tim Horton's dark roast using my Keurig

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
James Hoffman just released a 2nd Aeropress video on optimal brewing technique that provides great information for Aeropress users, but is just as instructive on the benefits and execution objective blind testing. He uses a triplet technique I had not seen before. At the 22 minute mark his results in 1 test were different than expected, and he discusses confirmation bias. (See post #430 for the first video).

One comment that has already gotten 127 likes: Wonderful. I think this will be an iconic video in Aeropress folklore in years to come. You've addressed nearly all of the myths surrounding the Aeropress in a systematic way.

Another with 737 likes: You're turning my world on its head, James. Rinsing the paper doesn't matter. Blooming or not doesn't matter. Inverted or not doesn't matter. Going down to the hiss or not doesn't matter. Popular internet coffee wisdom has led me astray up until this point and I'm shook.**

So, it appears blind testing kills popular misconceptions in coffee brewing just as in audio. Perhaps because only the technique is changing here (rather than investing in expensive new stuff and then discovering that does not work) the comments seem a lot more rational than one gets in audio.

Does blind testing have greater acceptance in coffee than in audio overall?

** 2 minute steeping time, swirling before extracting, and starting with boiling hot water, do matter.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does blind testing have greater acceptance in coffee than in audio overall?
I think it does, it's not as adopted as I'd like, but it's miles ahead of hi-fi. I'm sure in part this is because it's sort of baked into coffee buying, more of the people in the industry are exposed to having to trust only their taste buds. It's also been part of the online community approach since the start of online coffee communities, but still there is a massive amount of untested lore spread daily.

Top Bottom