• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you’d have to specify that to the company and they would adjust it for you. I know that the EU and US models are tweaked to brew at different temperatures and for different times. There isn’t anything high tech about the brewer—no computer controls, etc. Just a huge copper heating element and a gigantic current draw.

Look at part #11 below—that’s the heating element:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/te.../things-come-apart-coffeemaker-december-2017/

B1117F43-1FC4-42F1-AA31-9F50CDF1E2BE.png
_

chris719

I too have tried kopi lewak. As a coffee professional, I found it to be meh. I consider it to be more of a curiosity than a serious coffee. IMHO.

Fun fact, the palm civet was identified to be the species from which the original SARS jumped into humans. Probably best to not have people picking things out of their poop these days.

Never tried it, but always suspected it was more hype than anything.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fun fact, the palm civet was identified to be the species from which the original SARS jumped into humans. Probably best to not have people picking things out of their poop these days.

Never tried it, but always suspected it was more hype than anything.

Interesting note: When coffee beans are roasted that process removes any type of bioactive component from coffee, especially pathogens. The NSF considers roasted coffee to have undergone a necessary "kill step" that makes the resultant product unregulated from a food safety perspective.

thegeton

Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Interesting note: When coffee beans are roasted that process removes any type of bioactive component from coffee, especially pathogens. The NSF considers roasted coffee to have undergone a necessary "kill step" that makes the resultant product unregulated from a food safety perspective.
Yeah, but the guy picking it up off the ground could still expose the human species to a new virus in the process.

dlieb

I switched over to hot cocoa for most of my hot beverage consumption. Easy to make, consistent results and better for you. Less jitters and sleep better too. :D
How do you brew your hot cocoa? My results have been inconsistent!

gingerbeer

I use a decent espresso machine - a very cool coffee “computer” that allows full control over the temperature, pressure and flow rates to create a lot of different types of coffee.

Depending on how deep you want to go there can be a significant learning curve for sure, but once you get the hang of it it has profiles that can recreate almost any type of coffee machine accurately and being able to see the flow rate (on the tablet) and have the profile adjust to the measured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUb5O7lQKbE

thegeton

Forum Donor
Yeah, but the guy picking it up off the ground could still expose the human species to a new virus in the process.

True that. Good catch!

We need to discourage coffee connoisseurs from continually putting our species in danger while in pursuit of their next beverage unobtanium...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
True that. Good catch!

We need to discourage coffee connoisseurs from continually putting our species in danger while in pursuit of their next beverage unobtanium...
I'm not worried about it; I just don't think roasting the beans does much to mitigate this particular and already infinitesimally small risk.

chris719

It's not about the coffee being contaminated. Everyone knows coffee is roasted. It's about people handling animal waste.

I'm not passing judgement on this activity, just noting that it's probably not the best idea in regions where certain things are endemic.

Edit- ah yeah, someone already mentioned above.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My go to bean is Intelligentsia Black Cat Original Expresso . It's a local Chicago coffee roaster, so not sure how well they are known outside of Chi-town. It's a light/medium roast that is chocolatey and has some molasses notes. Makes great coffee and espresso - can anyone suggest something similar that I could try?

chris719

My go to bean is Intelligentsia Black Cat Original Expresso . It's a local Chicago coffee roaster, so not sure how well they are known outside of Chi-town. It's a light/medium roast that is chocolatey and has some molasses notes. Makes great coffee and espresso - can anyone suggest something similar that I could try?

They are pretty well known I think. I like their stuff. I'm not sure how exactly close you're trying to get, but there's a lot of roasters that produce similar quality. I've only tried it as drip and not actual espresso. Someone recently sent me Coava coffee from Portland and it was also very good, but I don't know if there's an exact match for the flavor profile of Black Cat.

thegeton

Forum Donor
It's not about the coffee being contaminated. Everyone knows coffee is roasted. It's about people handling animal waste.

I'm not passing judgement on this activity, just noting that it's probably not the best idea in regions where certain things are endemic.

Edit- ah yeah, someone already mentioned above.

No worries.

It's not like coffee gets roasted right off of the tree. It spends about 90% of it's time "green." During that time it is considered a regulated food product. Still a potential source of biological pathogens.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you brew your hot cocoa? My results have been inconsistent!
I toss into a large coffee mug 2 heaping table spoons of sugar and use a flat or heaping table spoon of powdered cocoa. Add ~boiling water and mix well. I bought Hersheys, Frys, Nestle and no name cocoa and found the no name works the best for baking because it creates a darker more shiny surface when baked.
21039704_front_a06_@2.png

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I toss into a large coffee mug 2 heaping table spoons of sugar and use a flat or heaping table spoon of powdered cocoa. Add ~boiling water and mix well. I bought Hersheys, Frys, Nestle and no name cocoa and found the no name works the best for baking because it creates a darker more shiny surface when baked.
Agree. I get the stuff from Aldi when they have it in stock.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
They're likely all the same in any case.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NSF??

what does NIH think?

or ONR?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This coffee was a special treat for me growing up in the 80’s. A family friend’s brother was a government minister in Papua New Guinea and when he would come to visit the States, he would bring his brother and us vacuum sealed bags of the stuff—pre-ground, not beans. Even though today I prefer dark roasts, I remember this coffee being a lighter roast but nonetheless extremely flavorful. Back then it was not imported to the U.S. (although obviously it made it through customs). Anybody else heard of it or tried it?

https://www.gorokacoffee.com/

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can show you how an angsty millennial with five fingernails covered with turquoise nail polish, a windowpane plaid shirt, and a neck chain with a chinese calligraphy figure drinks it.

'

Top Bottom