• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Still feeding from the res, though the thought of getting a jug and a flojet has occurred to me.
Congrats on finishing the mod. I was watching a video a while back (just cos it was there) about the differences between vibe and rotary pumps. They discussed the sound and even pulled out an SPL meter to measure two different machines.
It was funny because they downplayed the fact the rotary pump was noticeably more quiet, and clearly didn’t understand what difference it made in dB, and just said it was a "different pitch." I tried finding the vid, thinking it was Seattle Coffee but can't find it. *shrugs I wanna say it was a pretty significant difference being in the neighborhood of 6-10dB with the Rotary being the more quiet. Regardless, the ultimate quip was when they acknowledged the elephant in the room and pointed to the Grinder. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've finished my mods!
Are you going hard plumbed with the rotary, now?
Both of you went thru the arduous DIY path to improve your rigs... and [imo] successfully so!
Kudos!
Knowing what you know now; would you have opted to purchase a more upmarket (better) machine rather than the BST of DIY?
Which one would you have spent YOUR money on?

I am so lazy that my lever LaPavoni Stradivari is practically begging me to do a full-up group-head rebuild.
I already have all the replacement parts I need for a rebuild. I also know it HAS to happen very soon.
Yet, I am intentionally waiting for the last moment to do it.
I must get enjoyment out of NOT having to monkey around with my manual machine since purchase 24months ago.
I have pulled over 2000 shots with minimal-to-none maintenance!
Mine is a keepuh!:cool:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The regular Sylvia is a solid machine. For when I purchased it, I didn't really have the option of investing more.

When I was going through my process, I know I talked about what the next step-up would look like for me and that was going full out and getting a Lelit Bianca or similar Dual Boiler and Rotary Pump machine.

That's a far cry from the $775 I spent 4 years ago. ;)

The moral of the story for me is proper maintenance and upkeep. Now that I've had another round of Dezcal through the Sylvia and better monthly Grinder cleaning, my gear is functioning at the best level since it was new. I don't know how much the new Pump did for my situation with the Sylvia, but the pressure adjustment was long overdue and probably the best learn I've had with my machine.

When time comes for the upgrade, I will definitely step up my purchase if I am able. But replacing the Sylvia I have just doesn't make sense right now considering it is performing at a level that satisfies. :)

Beyond everything else, though... I think anybody with a home espresso habit and a machine that can be tinkered with... getting a new Precision Shower Screen and Basket with a Bottomless Portafilter should be mandatory. Also would recommend having a Pressure Guage to check output pressure at the Head and tune your machine accordingly.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Knowing what you know now; would you have opted to purchase a more upmarket (better) machine rather than the BST of DIY?
Frankly? No. Because getting to the next tier up of machine I'd want would cost me $4000+ for a LM Linea Micra or $6000 for a Linea Mini. This was maybe 400 in parts on a machine I bought for $1400.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry! I was being snarky. :confused:
I don't have a golden-tongue or equipped with sharply-tuned tastebuds to discern subtle taste details within a coffee bean.
But I believe those magical beans contain enough exploratory and delectable tastes... which really do not need any more taste additives.
If the coffee beans were like tofu; I definitely believe its blandness will require taste additives... but the fact that they are both derived from beans' is the only similarity between them.

NakEnthusiast51

Greetings, my first posting at the Audio Science Forums :))

A coffee aficionado mini-thread within an audio topics forum ...... Where am I, perhaps discovering a cyber nirvana ???

My coffee enjoyment is three or four 12 oz mugs early mornings, with a touch of cream to smooth out the light roasted ground beans.

Brewing Gear - Krupps hand-held grinder, CuisineArt Drip w/ 64 oz stainless carafe.

Coffee Beans - Fair Trade Organic whole bean ...... Ethiopian and Peruvian Arabica are my favorites.
Mail ordered from the European Roasterie, Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

My wrap-up should be more audio gear oriented though ......
Here's hoping for more enlightening interactions with like-minded audio enthusiasts here at ASR.
My interests are analogue gear, Marantz, Nakamichi, Thorens, Acoustic Research round out my gear possessions.

Good & Plenty Coffee Rules !!!

Cheers and Peace
NakEnthusiast 51

WillBrink

Sorry! I was being snarky. :confused:
I don't have a golden-tongue or equipped with sharply-tuned tastebuds to discern subtle taste details within a coffee bean.
But I believe those magical beans contain enough exploratory and delectable tastes... which really do not need any more taste additives.
If the coffee beans were like tofu; I definitely believe its blandness will require taste additives... but the fact that they are both derived from beans' is the only similarity between them.

Have you put CBD in your coffee? Do that and get back to me. Alpha Joe is not about taste additive per se (although the cocoa adds a very nice taste to it, and the other ingredients add no taste), it's about the cognative and potential health benefits when added to coffee. Article linked above if you're interested in the details.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Which tastes great. Or, if being lazy, scoop of Alpha Joe, small amount of milk, stir, and done.
I'm only gently poking. For me, coconut only belongs in Thai or some Indian food. The Lady used to be into Coconut oil... recently baked a Ginger Cake with a little added and I completely tasted it and called her on it. *shrugs

In the end, to each their own. :D If it works for you, then you do you! ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that's just silly. :p
Heck with levity!
Here is some serious talk and you and @dfuller are to blame with all your DIY improvements.
Inside my manual/Lever LaPavoni grouphead...
202012_LaPavoniLever-CutOutImage07.jpg

There is a plastic sleeve inside the pressurized chamber (when lever is pulled up,) that is going to be replaced by a custom brass version...
BTW: I had never heard that there is a grade of "brass" that is said to be 'food grade' ["H6"?].
202301_LaPavoniGHsleeve.jpg

Inside this sleeve, there is a piston (w/2 o-rings), that is -also- going to be replaced by the Romainian H6 brass version...
202301_LaPavoniGHpiston.jpg

I don't know if swapping out a plastic part (the sleeve) with a brass version will cause any increased heat transfer to the grouphead; which may cause brewing issues.
There is a replacement SS version of the piston but that may have caused long-term -dissimilar metals- issues (re hi-temps).
I was due some maintenance to replace the four 0-rings in the grouphead, and this purchase should motivate me.:)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Heck with levity!
Here is some serious talk and you and @dfuller are to blame with all your DIY improvements.
Inside my manual/Lever LaPavoni grouphead...
View attachment 257319
There is a plastic sleeve inside the pressurized chamber (when lever is pulled up,) that is going to be replaced by a custom brass version...
BTW: I had never heard that there is a grade of "brass" that is said to be 'food grade' ["H6"?].
View attachment 257321
Inside this sleeve, there is a piston (w/2 o-rings), that is -also- going to be replaced by the Romainian H6 brass version...
View attachment 257322
I don't know if swapping out a plastic part (the sleeve) with a brass version will cause any increased heat transfer to the grouphead; which may cause brewing issues.
There is a replacement SS version of the piston but that may have caused long-term -dissimilar metals- issues (re hi-temps).
I was due some maintenance to replace the four 0-rings in the grouphead, and this purchase should motivate me.:)
Differing grades of brass could contain other elements or pollutants including Lead and Arsenic. While I'm no expert on the production of Alloys, I would expect you don't want either of those in your Espresso and Coconut Oil beverages. :p

Brass is similar to bronze, another copper alloy that uses tin instead of zinc.[2] Both bronze and brass may include small proportions of a range of other elements including arsenic (As), lead (Pb), phosphorus (P), aluminium (Al), manganese (Mn), and silicon (Si). Historically, the distinction between the two alloys has been less consistent and clear,[3] and some museums use in their catalogs the more general "copper alloy."[4]

I would think the benefit of good Brass will be longevity and additional heat retention. My Group Head has a lot of Brass in it. Takes a while to fully heat up, but once it does is fairly stable. (The water temp may be another story. :) )

Regardless, you should still thoroughly clean the parts prior to installation.

Can't wait to see your updates and pics! :)

Top Bottom