• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Picked up a new work machine. Specifically, the Bezzera BZ13 PM. It'll replace a Breville Bambino Plus, which while a decent machine is not up to the amount of work that was being asked of it.

It's a pretty damn nice machine. Relatively tame for a heat exchanger with solid steam - and lovely joystick steam and water valves. Relatively cheap too, with excellent build quality.

The machine next to it is my home machine, a supremely beefed up Silvia Pro. It's got a La Marzocco Linea PB steam valve and wand, and a rotary pump. It doesn't really go places because it's relatively maintenance heavy. Both next to one another because I was doing maintenance on both of 'em.

PXL_20240326_034612162.png

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Initially the refill alarm would stay on (after refilling) which responded well to jiggling the tank. But no longer, I expect the alarm is doing double duty for another fault.
Probably a failing tank level sensor switch. Not a very expensive thing to replace.
Now there's a leak. Another one of those blue plastic pipe connectors may have failed, I should replace them all with brass. Or it could be something else ...
I keep a bottle of Loxeal 18-10 and metric wrenches around for a reason. Espresso machines aren't all that scary to work on as long as you have the right tools. What blue plastic pipe connectors are you talking about? Didn't see any in the teardown I watched.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Probably a failing tank level sensor switch. Not a very expensive thing to replace.

I keep a bottle of Loxeal 18-10 and metric wrenches around for a reason. Espresso machines aren't all that scary to work on as long as you have the right tools. What blue plastic pipe connectors are you talking about? Didn't see any in the teardown I watched.

Thanks for the input. Yes, may just be that, plus a leak.

I don't know the production year of my Mara, but there's a bit of clear tubing with some three and four-way connectors made of blue plastic visible when you open the top up. A three-way failed previously. A friend with the same issue had them replaced with brass connectors, so the plastic may not be used in all models.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
*sighs
Nothing worse than dropping your portafilter on the way to the group head.
:(

Oh wait… yes there is!
Now I don’t have enough beans to make espresso tomorrow!!!
:mad:

*shrugs

Such is life. ;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Bean there, done that. More than once.

I suppose I've done it at other times too, but the times when it was my last handful of beans are certainly the ones to remember. :eek:

LeShog

I visited Torino in the last few days, I have to say, pretty dandy city, but I digress.. Torino is Lavazza’s hometown and there in Piazza San Carlo you can find the caffé.. “Torino”. Yep, we italians are not so good with names. Anyway this is Lavazza’s historical caffé, where you can taste what they consider their best coffe (despite the world’s infamous @Count Arthur chart- I am joking here-), the

La Reserva de ¡Tierra! Brasile Blend​

I was amazed by the delicacy of this blend combined with the neat cocoa scent. A refined cup. This goes well beyond Illy’s red blend which is, simply put, rough in a direct comparison. Of course Illy’s blend doesn’t want to be that refined. Maybe their direct competitor might be Idillyum, which has the big problem of being almost unobtainable. In a direct comparison between these I’d say I like the Idillyum more because it is yet more delicate (very little caffeine too) and the acidic note opens up and highlights all the scents inside, it is very peculiar as an espresso. But, even if I found the tierra brasil less peculiar, I’d say we are pretty much on the same level of refinement and couldn’t be mad at someone that preferred the latter. Now I live with the curiosity of trying the infamous “Super Crema”, but I don’t find it in bars and unfortunately I don’t have a serious espresso
machine at home, but an illy capsules one (*brrr* hate it, but my family loves it *sigh*), so I am stuck with Illy.. The research continues..

dfuller

Major Contributor
I visited Torino in the last few days, I have to say, pretty dandy city, but I digress.. Torino is Lavazza’s hometown and there in Piazza San Carlo you can find the caffé.. “Torino”. Yep, we italians are not so good with names. Anyway this is Lavazza’s historical caffé, where you can taste what they consider their best coffe (despite the world’s infamous @Count Arthur chart- I am joking here-), the

I was amazed by the delicacy of this blend combined with the neat cocoa scent. A refined cup. This goes well beyond Illy’s red blend which is, simply put, rough in a direct comparison. Of course Illy’s blend doesn’t want to be that refined. Maybe their direct competitor might be Idillyum, which has the big problem of being almost unobtainable. In a direct comparison between these I’d say I like the Idillyum more because it is yet more delicate (very little caffeine too) and the acidic note opens up and highlights all the scents inside, it is very peculiar as an espresso. But, even if I found the tierra brasil less peculiar, I’d say we are pretty much on the same level of refinement and couldn’t be mad at someone that preferred the latter. Now I live with the curiosity of trying the infamous “Super Crema”, but I don’t find it in bars and unfortunately I don’t have a serious espresso
machine at home, but an illy capsules one (*brrr* hate it, but my family loves it *sigh*), so I am stuck with Illy.. The research continues..
Super crema is... pretty crap, I'm not going to lie. Overly bitter, strong rubbery note from the Robusta. If you like the Tierra Brasile, look for natural (dry) process Brazilian coffee. I've had good ones from the Daterra and Boa Vista farms.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

I have tried the La Reserva de ¡Tierra! Brasile. I liked it, but, for me, it only made 3rd place. :)

I don't think Super Crema and some of Lavazza's other blends are sold retail as they are part of their business range for cafés, etc.. However, I get mine on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283453903951?itmmeta=01HT2Z9XHQQAFJS0W4S5RY9WNA

Regarding the taste, I like a classic, not overly complex, medium to dark roasted "coffee flavoured" coffee. I don't mind bitterness, but I really don't like acidity, which rules out most lighter roasts, with fruity or floral flavours. Horses for courses. :)

LeShog

I have tried the La Reserva de ¡Tierra! Brasile. I liked it, but, for me, it only made 3rd place. :)

I don't think Super Crema and some of Lavazza's other blends are sold retail as they are part of their business range for cafés, etc.. However, I get mine on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283453903951?itmmeta=01HT2Z9XHQQAFJS0W4S5RY9WNA

Regarding the taste, I like a classic, not overly complex, medium to dark roasted "coffee flavoured" coffee. I don't mind bitterness, but I really don't like acidity, which rules out most lighter roasts, with fruity or floral flavours. Horses for courses. :)
Most interesting! I have to say normally in Italy if they use Lavazza they will have their red blend (classic) or the gold blend when they want to be fancy. I’m not in love with neither.

Edit: babbling about bars here.

LeShog

Super crema is... pretty crap, I'm not going to lie. Overly bitter, strong rubbery note from the Robusta. If you like the Tierra Brasile, look for natural (dry) process Brazilian coffee. I've had good ones from the Daterra and Boa Vista farms.
Yes I think I am getting what this coffee is about and it’s not my cup of.. Coffe. I don’t like robusta. Thank you :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If you buy it in Italy - in their actual home town, I guess the coffee can be amazing.

However I've never tasted any Lavazza available in UK supermarkets that is anything other than terrible.

LeShog

If you buy it in Italy - in their actual home town, I guess the coffee can be amazing.

However I've never tasted any Lavazza available in UK supermarkets that is anything other than terrible.
I also tend to avoid bars that use Lavazza in Italy, apart from Torino they tend to use their red or gold blends which are very far from the concept of “good” IMHO.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
*sighs
Nothing worse than dropping your portafilter on the way to the group head.:(
Oh wait… yes there is!
Now I don’t have enough beans to make espresso tomorrow!!!:mad:
*shrugs
Such is life. ;)
I'll add another unexpected 'shocker' to our regular morning routine:
Accidentally tipping over the cup just as you are finishing to pour the second shot in. -1
And also breaking the double-wall cup in the process. -1

I've learned to keep spares, so as to keep the routine more normal. +1

mk05

Forum Donor
I remember the day when I first made my light-roast espresso. I was pacing around the room smacking my lips, about the 6th-8th shot that I had made following directions, thinking to myself, "this can't be right," and I went downstairs to Starbucks for an espresso to compare. Then, all of a sudden, I spat out the Starbucks in the trashcan, because it tasted like literal sewage. I stood there looking at that small Starbucks espresso paper cup, and I started to realize that I was gagging at the awful Starbucks coffee bean smell emanating from the store. That moment was when my coffee rabbit hole began.

Home barista forum has been great to me over the past decade. I learned a lot about what I liked (and why) through science and repeatability. Until 2 years ago, I had a double boiler and Mahlkonig setup. After a decade or so of experimentation and discovery, I stepped down significantly to an ECM Classika PID upgraded with the E&B Labs screens, alongside a DF64v fitted with SSP MP burrs - the Mahlkonig alone paid for the entire setup. I still make my own water, know pressures and brew times for the beans that I like.

But now, I don't even care about tinkering as much. I can almost get 75% espresso clarity and richness out of E&B moka pot. I rarely visit the coffee forums/videos anymore due to fatigue from the exhaustive force-fed sell-side advertisement ("content"), ie Weber.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had intended to ask for assistance in this thread. It appears that I may just have too many requirements/restrictions for a replacement burr-grinder that I will use strictly for pulling espresso shots.
  1. $600 price limit
  2. Very limited electronics, no LCD (displays/controls)
  3. Stainless Steel externals
  4. Flat Burrs: Replaceable, 64mm, ToolSteel, blind (no silly/useless "coatings")
  5. Grind: Stepless, micro adjustable (to zero)
  6. DC motor: Brushless, hi-torque, ~1200 rpm (or variable)
  7. Single-doser (<16" tall)
  8. Bellows for anti-retention
  9. Replacement parts availability (w/PPL)
I considered Ascaso, Baratza, Bezzera, Caedo, Eureka, Lelit, Niche, including most youtube grinder comparos, even the Chinese-brigade offerings from ITOP, StarSeeker.
Niche Zero was a front-runner but w/Conical burrs.
Then, that 'non-branded' DF64V took my fancy.
202404_GrinderDF64V01.jpg

I ran out of patience, I ended up just pulling the trigger on the Niche "Duo".
202404_NicheDuo01.jpg

I think I achieved 6 of those above 9 requirements. I can't afford to have regrets.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had intended to ask for assistance in this thread. It appears that I may just have too many requirements/restrictions for a replacement burr-grinder that I will use strictly for pulling espresso shots.
  1. $600 price limit
  2. Very limited electronics, no LCD (displays/controls)
  3. Stainless Steel externals
  4. Flat Burrs: Replaceable, 64mm, ToolSteel, blind (no silly/useless "coatings")
  5. Grind: Stepless, micro adjustable (to zero)
  6. DC motor: Brushless, hi-torque, ~1200 rpm (or variable)
  7. Single-doser (<16" tall)
  8. Bellows for anti-retention
  9. Replacement parts availability (w/PPL)
I considered Ascaso, Baratza, Bezzera, Caedo, Eureka, Lelit, Niche, including most youtube grinder comparos, even the Chinese-brigade offerings from ITOP, StarSeeker.
Niche Zero was a front-runner but w/Conical burrs.
Then, that 'non-branded' DF64V took my fancy.
View attachment 365509
I ran out of patience, I ended up just pulling the trigger on the Niche "Duo".
View attachment 365516
I think I achieved 6 of those above 9 requirements. I can't afford to have regrets.

Niche has one of the nicest workflow for a home espresso grinder. My work drip coffee grinder looks similar to the grinder with the bellows though I don't use bellows since there's almost no retention for coarse grinding

1713917230923.png

The burrs that come with the grinder doesn't allow for espresso grinding as you can see from the cutting geometry

1713917458939.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
Niche has one of the nicest workflow for a home espresso grinder. My work drip coffee grinder looks similar to the grinder with the bellows though I don't use bellows since there's almost no retention for coarse grinding

View attachment 365532

The burrs that come with the grinder doesn't allow for espresso grinding as you can see from the cutting geometry

View attachment 365533
Your work grinder is a Lagom P64. That's a $1700 grinder.

The burrs can do espresso, they're SSP MPs. It might not be the espresso you want, but they'll do it.

Top Bottom