• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The burrs can do espresso, they're SSP MPs. It might not be the espresso you want, but they'll do it.
Are you telling me that I may confront a similar problem, when my Niche Duo arrives with its standard 83mm espresso flat-burrs?
An owner of a LagomP64 may be able justify the replacement SSP burr cost (@$200+) but that becomes unjustifiable when the Niche Duo cost is under $600.
Remember my statement:
I can't afford to have regrets.
:cool:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Are you telling me that I may confront a similar problem, when my Niche Duo arrives with its standard 83mm espresso flat-burrs?
An owner of a LagomP64 may be able justify the replacement SSP burr cost (@$200+) but that becomes unjustifiable when the Niche Duo cost is under $600.
Remember my statement:

:cool:
No - the Niche Duo comes with Mazzer 151Cs, which are absolutely espresso-first burrs. A lot of light roast enthusiasts don't like them as they're very "traditional" tasting.

In fact 83mm SSPs are crazy money - I think closer to $400.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your work grinder is a Lagom P64. That's a $1700 grinder.

The burrs can do espresso, they're SSP MPs. It might not be the espresso you want, but they'll do it.

Not using it for espresso since I prefer drip coffee taste profile but the grinds don't look fine enough for espresso visually at finest setting (burrs not touching, out of factory setting)
No - the Niche Duo comes with Mazzer 151Cs, which are absolutely espresso-first burrs. A lot of light roast enthusiasts don't like them as they're very "traditional" tasting.

In fact 83mm SSPs are crazy money - I think closer to $400.

I don't find much difference taste wise between a Starbucks drip coffee from my local Starbucks shop (not the burnt-rubber tasting Americano). Maybe the SSP is slightly more acid forward which brings those Starbucks/Kirkland beans some vibrancy on the acid side rather than just tasting charcoal notes

Peterinvan

KEEP IT SIMPLE:

The time it takes me to brew a pour-over (ceramic Vario filter) is less than the time it takes to clean up complicated coffee makers.

I use Melita supermarket coffee ($7 a pound) and grind it just before making my brew. I like my Capresso burr grinder.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I don't find much difference taste wise between a Starbucks drip coffee from my local Starbucks shop (not the burnt-rubber tasting Americano). Maybe the SSP is slightly more acid forward which brings those Starbucks/Kirkland beans some vibrancy on the acid side rather than just tasting charcoal notes
Frankly, you wouldn't notice much with starbucks anyway - but yeah, that's what SSP MPs do - they bring forward acidic notes.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1713989153209.jpeg

mk05

Forum Donor
Are you telling me that I may confront a similar problem...I can't afford to have regrets.
In consumables industry, you will never know anything if you do not try. I've owned many grinders, machines, burrs, tried all methods, etc. After trying everything, I have concluded that for me and my tastebuds, my simple setup is enough (or that my moka process will get me 75% there).

If you've never experimented with the various sizes in flats vs conical, the cut patterns, change in grind speeds and sizes, metals, then water pressures, temperatures, and TDS, etc, you won't know what you're missing on to have any sort of regrets. I can't feel what a watermelon tastes like to your brain - someone could tell you what it tastes like to him, but it may not necessarily be that for you. For example, I thought I would like Sweetlabs burrs, but after trying it out vs SSP MP, SK, and HU, I surprisingly found out that MP tickled my brain in a way the others did not - which was completely contrary to my original hypothesis.

If you don't want to have regrets, you must try them all. If you can't afford to have regrets, don't try at all. :D

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably the best espresso I have ever had was in Colombia at a coffee shop made with a cheap grinder and Gaggia machine with pressurized portafilter - cardinal sins in our snobbish espresso world :D That is when I realized the coffee beans make most of the difference - this was locally sourced, freshly roasted.

As for my gear - Eureka Silenzio grinder, Rancilio Silvia with after-market PID.

Broadcast_Eng

Forum Donor
I have it on good authority that Skywalker Ranch is (or at least was in the 1980s and 1990s before my source moved on to Disney Imagineering and SKG, later returning to Disney) coffee powered, reflecting GWL's obsession with the brew.

Top Bottom