• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cobbling first setup together- powering KEF R3 for low-medium volume listening?

phats22

hi all-

i'm in the midst of self-education and starter purchases after years of coming close to taking the hifi plunge. i currently have kef R3s in route and nothing else (crappy sound bar notwithstanding).

i live in a medium size apartment with a 12x20' room for listening at about ~6-9'distance. i plan to start out with streaming (likely switching over from spotify to tidal) but also have designs on adding a turntable and also using for movies.

remaining budget is ~1500-2000USD and would like to cover setup for streaming, amp and a starter TT with that

from a bit of reading, would the following make sense?

power amp- buckeye NC 252MP (~550)

minidsp-ddrc-24 (~450) + wiim
(or maybe minidsp SHD to cover streaming as well?)

TT ~500-1000 left over depending on above options.

any assistance is much appreciated.

PS- this is less important now but would love any insight into the best way to add headphone capability to the above

OP
P

phats22

in case anyone wonders where this went, i ended up with the KEF 3s and the bluesound powernode edge for starters. super easy setup and have been enjoying my first foray into better sound. at my wife's suggestion, we rearranged our room so that now the seating and speaker positioning is much more intuitive.

radix

Major Contributor
That should be good. Keeping it simple at first is usually a good thing!

You will likely want to add a sub at some point, it will make a big difference. Even one of the smaller SVS 3000 Micro would help, though an SVS 2000 would really fill the room. There's a lot of options.

You don't need a fancy TT, even a properly maintained vintage would be fine. You will need a preamp, as that Bluesound Node only has line-level in (via 3.5mm jack).

Steve81

Forum Donor
Seems like a decent rig. You don’t need a lot of power for moderate / apartment appropriate listening levels. Might I ask what’s drawing you to a TT? Lots of vinyl on hand, or looking to get into it?

OP
P

phats22

That should be good. Keeping it simple at first is usually a good thing!

You will likely want to add a sub at some point, it will make a big difference. Even one of the smaller SVS 3000 Micro would help, though an SVS 2000 would really fill the room. There's a lot of options.

You don't need a fancy TT, even a properly maintained vintage would be fine. You will need a preamp, as that Bluesound Node only has line-level in (via 3.5mm jack).
Thx for the feedback. Sub and TT (and preamp). are likely the next 2 purchases in the horizon.

I discovered the necessity of the audio in/3.5mm jack the first night-

My prior set up for movie watching was to use HDMI from my Chromebook to a projector but then Bluetooth pair my Chromebook with a sound bar.

I tried utilizing the blue sound in similar fashion as a Bluetooth pair for my Chromebook while running video to the projector but was highly unsuccessful. Problem was solved after a purchasing a 3.5 mm cable to join the projector audio out to the bluesound

Last edited:
OP
P

phats22

What made you drop the DSP idea?
KISS. I have a tendency to go overboard up front with new interests. By itself that's not necessarily bad, but it often translates into analysis paralysis.

This is at least the third time I've done more than casual digging into higher quality audio setup. I needed a simple way to get off the sidelines, so to speak

Last edited:
OP
P

phats22

Seems like a decent rig. You don’t need a lot of power for moderate / apartment appropriate listening levels. Might I ask what’s drawing you to a TT? Lots of vinyl on hand, or looking to get into it?
Yep, so far it's been perfect amount of power. I'm able to run it at moderate levels without disturbing the neighbors.

As far as turntable... This past year I started taking intro jazz piano lessons and along the way have been deepening my education/ exposure to the greats. I happened upon a original vinyl of McCoy Tyner (Today and Tomorrow) and after purchasing as memorabilia, realized it might be fun to actually get into vinyl. So super fledgling interest

radix

Major Contributor
KISS. I have a tendency to go overboard up front with new interests. By itself that's not necessarily bad, but it often translates into analysis paralysis.

This is at least the third time I've done more than casual digging into higher quality audio setup. I needed a simple way to get off the sidelines, so to speak
When you get to the sub, it would be useful to get a measurement mic (e.g. UMIK-1) and get familiar with REW. that will help you integrate the sub.

once you have those skills down, you could then think about doing DRC, though you can fix some issues just by positioning the sub right and using its built-in EQ.

Steve81

Forum Donor
As far as turntable... This past year I started taking intro jazz piano lessons and along the way have been deepening my education/ exposure to the greats. I happened upon a original vinyl of McCoy Tyner (Today and Tomorrow) and after purchasing as memorabilia, realized it might be fun to actually get into vinyl. So super fledgling interest

Just be warned, it's an expensive, time consuming hobby :D I'm guessing you might be familiar with the technical reasons not to go too far with your vinyl interest. OTOH, I understand why people do it.

OP
P

phats22

Just be warned, it's an expensive, time consuming hobby :D I'm guessing you might be familiar with the technical reasons not to go too far with your vinyl interest. OTOH, I understand why people do it.
Forgive the ignorance, but I'm not familiar....

Steve81

Forum Donor

It's just more limited in fidelity due to the medium, and the reality that wear and tear will take its toll over time. A google search of "vinyl vs cd technical analysis" will reveal an abundance of information on the subject; it's nothing that should be terribly shocking. On a technical basis, the move from carving analog waveforms into a record to digital audio has yielded improvements as things matured. Of course, digital vs vinyl requires different mastering processes, which may lead one to sound different from another. I won't judge you if you become a vinylphile. I will admit good vinyl sounds just dandy; just never cared to get into it personally. The laziness abides :p

radix

Major Contributor
In addition to what @Steve81 said, new vinyl, nowadays, tends to be higher end and expensive (at least that's been my experience). For example, some jazz pressings i've gotten have been 2-disc pressings, some done at 45 rpm. This improves the sound quality. So be prepared to spend $ on new pressings. Old used pressings can vary greatly in quality. Back when it was mass market, the pressings were, um, mass market quality and will be noisier.

Having grown up with vinyl, the click/pop/noise of vinyl can be nostalgic. But a good CD or digital recording is much higher quality.

The other thing you will see is what master is used. Some original vinyl master mixes were pretty good and had nice dynamic range. Some modern re-masters are not as good and have compressed dynamic range (to sound overall louder). That's a vast generalization. Anyway, the master can make enormous differences.

I used to have several 100s of albums, but sold the majority and only kept a few rare ones or special ones. I never had much of a jazz collection, so that's what I've bought new nowadays, in vinyl.

Also, since I've broken out the old B&O 9500 automatic turn table (it queues the album and returns the tone arm when done via a linear tracking system), I tend to listen to it more. The Rega I have on the "main" system gets used less, as it's all manual. Maybe that says more about me than anything else....

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really appreciate this response. Tweaking can get a bit nuts. The MiniDSP is great… you do it once and it’s done, I agree about adding a sub. Even an SVS1000 Pro would do the job imo. In a simple room, where you really only have a couple options for sub placement, or even one, DSP solutions might be great, or they might do very little. Either way the “night and day” we talk about in audio are in reality is pretty subtle, except for extremes. There’s a ton of great info if you search here on TT‘s that are a real bargain for the money. I personally wouldn’t spend a lot if you like vinyl. The benefits of super expensive stuff are minimal in analog. $500 should get you a really nice TT and preamp. The KEFs you chose are great, and everything else you picked looks fine too. Invite us over. I’m sure it sounds amazing.

OP
P

phats22

Really appreciate this response. Tweaking can get a bit nuts. The MiniDSP is great… you do it once and it’s done, I agree about adding a sub. Even an SVS1000 Pro would do the job imo. In a simple room, where you really only have a couple options for sub placement, or even one, DSP solutions might be great, or they might do very little. Either way the “night and day” we talk about in audio are in reality is pretty subtle, except for extremes. There’s a ton of great info if you search here on TT‘s that are a real bargain for the money. I personally wouldn’t spend a lot if you like vinyl. The benefits of super expensive stuff are minimal in analog. $500 should get you a really nice TT and preamp. The KEFs you chose are great, and everything else you picked looks fine too. Invite us over. I’m sure it sounds amazing.

who knew i just needed to answer my own post to get more comments? :)

really appreciate everyone's input. definitely considering items in bold; i doubt i'd expand beyond that in terms of additional gear, perhaps upgrade over time.

the difference b/n my old sony soundbar (which did years of yeoman's work) and this current setup is night and day so feel like i've already crossed a substantial part of that bridge.

actually, the next step in my journey is likely to be a desktop/headphone based setup for work but that'll wait for a few months

nygafre

in case anyone wonders where this went, i ended up with the KEF 3s and the bluesound powernode edge for starters. super easy setup and have been enjoying my first foray into better sound. at my wife's suggestion, we rearranged our room so that now the seating and speaker positioning is much more intuitive.
Cool. I’ve used an Argon SA1 (40 watts) with nice results on the R3’s. I now have the R3 Metas with the Powernode N330, and it is pretty good as is. Especially for a use case both TV/music.

Have also been contemplating a similar DSP/power amp solution as you suggested in your first post. As I’m pretty happy with the sound in my room I am so far resisting any urge to change the setup too much. Setting my sights on a subwoofer (or two) in the future.

The only downside to the Powernodes is that they’d be limited in connectivity the day you potentially want to implement DSP in the chain. But why worry about that if you are happy!

Did you get stands for your R3’s?

Edit: I’ve also got the Umik-1, which has been a great and cheap tool for understanding speaker/room response. Probably the single most educative tool for a ‘beginner’ imo. (Due credit to the ASR community!). Sure saved me some $ in unecessary ‘upgrades’.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a great setup. I use an NC252 to power a pair of Revel F228be in a big room. No problem. Room EQ can make more speaker placements sound good if you are space constrained (like up against the wall, for instance). I do it with Roon and a convolution file, no miniDSP required.

btw, your response to your own post must have bumped it on to the ‘what’s new’ page at a good time. Sometimes posts languish if they are made at a slow time and then fall off the ‘what’s new’ page before someone engages.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KISS is a good plan. Unless you really need old vinyl not available digitally, I'd skip the tt/vinyl thing. Even Spotify will be fine, the lossless thing is little different and then no fuss with different libraries/setup etc. I'd want to add a sub myself, but YMMV.

OP
P

phats22

Cool. I’ve used an Argon SA1 (40 watts) with nice results on the R3’s. I now have the R3 Metas with the Powernode N330, and it is pretty good as is. Especially for a use case both TV/music.

Have also been contemplating a similar DSP/power amp solution as you suggested in your first post. As I’m pretty happy with the sound in my room I am so far resisting any urge to change the setup too much. Setting my sights on a subwoofer (or two) in the future.

The only downside to the Powernodes is that they’d be limited in connectivity the day you potentially want to implement DSP in the chain. But why worry about that if you are happy!

Did you get stands for your R3’s?

Edit: I’ve also got the Umik-1, which has been a great and cheap tool for understanding speaker/room response. Probably the single most educative tool for a ‘beginner’ imo. (Due credit to the ASR community!). Sure saved me some $ in unecessary ‘upgrades’.
i haven't gotten stands yet but will; currently they are perched on a pair of stools. i like the look of these

but have no idea if they work well or not.

thx for the heads up on the umik-1, i have zero doubt i have funky spots in my room and besides, i do think it would be fun way to learn more about sound in my space

OP
P

phats22

KISS is a good plan. Unless you really need old vinyl not available digitally, I'd skip the tt/vinyl thing. Even Spotify will be fine, the lossless thing is little different and then no fuss with different libraries/setup etc. I'd want to add a sub myself, but YMMV.
yeah, the more i think this over, the more this advice makes sense. i've been trying tidal as an alternative to spotify, as a plus its been great to have access to Neil Youngs' catalog.

Top Bottom