• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Clipping 101

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should be monitoring both power supply output voltage and output current (with a scope) for both power supplies used. You need to investigate if the power supply is not at the current limit or its voltage is not falling. You can use a small resistor like 0R1 to monitor the current. Take care about shorting the rails, use a differential probe e.g.

Thanks Pavel. If only I had a real oscilloscope…

So, if I stayed with the same SMPS (with supposedly way more power than the amp is specced to deliver), what causes the clipping?

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Either the voltage swing limit (power supply rails) or current limiting/protection in the amp itself or in the SMPS. Plus, clipping behaviour of class D amplifiers is not that straightforward as of their linear brothers, near clipping the switching may tend to drop-out.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If true, why does the higher power supply (also higher rail voltage) allow the amp to produce more output?
It is generally true that higher PS supply voltage will allow the amp to have higher output power (up to a max limit). Hypex doesn't provide that info in their amp module datasheet, but Purifi does. Higher PS supply voltage will allow higher amplifier output voltage, thus (usually) allow higher output power.

output pwr vs PS voltage.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is generally true that higher PS supply voltage will allow the amp to have higher output power (up to a max limit). Hypex doesn't provide that info in their amp module datasheet, but Purifi does. Higher PS supply voltage will allow higher amplifier output voltage, thus (usually) allow higher output power.

View attachment 295711

Yes, have seen this and makes sense when the supply voltage is different. What if it is same as when the amp clips despite plenty of power? Could be rail voltage diff if higher voltage (as you show above). Would have to be something else like current limiting as @pma suggests when rail voltage does not change.

Wonder if peak hold on my DMM can capture?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, have seen this and makes sense when the supply voltage is different. What if it is same as when the amp clips despite plenty of power? Could be rail voltage diff if higher voltage (as you show above). Would have to be something else like current limiting as @pma suggests when rail voltage does not change.

If current limit is exceeded, then the rail voltage will sag too. It is possible you can catch it with a DMM, if you are output continuous power for long enough time. However, peak hold holds the peak, not the sag. Some higher end DMM can measure min/max over a period of time.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If current limit is exceeded, then the rail voltage will sag too. It is possible you can catch it with a DMM, if you are output continuous power for long enough time. However, peak hold holds the peak, not the sag. Some higher end DMM can measure min/max over a period of time.
Yes, classic measurement issues. May just resort to asking Hypex support!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The various Hypex/Purifi modules have internal clip detection and the way they detect and respond to that will vary from model to model. They can also control the attached SMPS power supply in certain configurations.

The earlier NC-xxx modules use a combination of detections- output current is monitored via an additional winding in the output inductor to determine clipping limits along with input level +/- clipping detection* all fed to an onboard micro (PIC) which can control muting, limiting etc. What the NCX modules have on board, I don't know.

*the amplifier has a fixed gain and that is known and a maximum input level for maximum output voltage is also known. A signal greater than the thresholds in either positive of negative swings of the waveform means the output would be overdriven, so the clip signal is sent to the micro prior to the output clipping event actually occurring.

Some higher end DMM can measure min/max over a period of time.

A DMM is unsuitable for this purpose. An oscilloscope/DSO is required with differential probes/connection.

Clipping in Class D is a whole other ball game and the designers have done a great job ensuring the modules do not self destruct in adverse conditions.

As @pma said, the PSU rails need to be monitored for both current (via a very low value resistor-vdrop) and voltage, all whilst attached to a fast 'scope when driven to the required levels you are investigating.

pma

Major Contributor
You need to go deeper into the issue and thus you need to see what is exactly happening. In case you are an amp designer it is a must and this should apply to OEM assemblers as well. ASR view stays on the surface, not going deep, it is oriented to general audience, not to expert members.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, classic measurement issues. May just resort to asking Hypex support!
Response from Hypex support…

Clipping by definition is always caused by a limitation in the supply voltage, i.e the output voltage reaching the supply voltage rails.

At lower impedance loads the power will be limited by the current that the amp can deliver.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Response from Hypex support…

Clipping by definition is always caused by a limitation in the supply voltage, i.e the output voltage reaching the supply voltage rails.

At lower impedance loads the power will be limited by the current that the amp can deliver.

:facepalm: Absolute clowns.

FInd another OEM. Fast.

D

Deleted member 48726

The scope measurements were taken quite long ago from two of my older power amp designs.
Is this behaviour / design used by other manufacturers besides NAD (and you :)) ? All power tests I've seen done with oscilloscope trace shows hard clipped sinewaves. NAD "soft clipping" excluded.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is this behaviour / design used by other manufacturers besides NAD (and you :)) ? All power tests I've seen done with oscilloscope trace shows hard clipped sinewaves. NAD "soft clipping" excluded.

Clipping is a simple thing. The waveform runs into the limit of the available power supply rails at the time. The more you push past that point, the 'harder' the clipping appears. Some amplifiers behave very poorly at the onset on waveform clipping, others not so much.

D

Deleted member 48726

Clipping is a simple thing. The waveform runs into the limit of the available power supply rails at the time. The more you push past that point, the 'harder' the clipping appears. Some amplifiers behave very poorly at the onset on waveform clipping, others not so much.
Yeah, and that's what I am fishing for. NAD's soft clipping seems (at least on the O-scope trace with sine signal) to work quite alright with softer shape format. And thus wondering if others have similar designs to mitigate too audible / obvious clipping but just don't use it as a feature in advertising.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm: Absolute clowns.

FInd another OEM. Fast.

I was hoping for more. Your answer was more specific.

I have a inexpensive DSO queued. Availability has been a challenge and so the price has been higher than normal. Is a Hantek DSO2D10 sufficient for audio work?

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, and that's what I am fishing for. NAD's soft clipping seems (at least on the O-scope trace with sine signal) to work quite alright with softer shape format. And thus wondering if others have similar designs to mitigate too audible / obvious clipping but just don't use it as a feature in advertising.
The "unpleasantness" of clean, hard clipping is vastly exaggerated (see below). So, there is no real need to prematurely clip with "soft clipping". The effects of clipping can be simulated with @pkane's distort.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was hoping for more. Your answer was more specific.

I have a inexpensive DSO queued. Availability has been a challenge and so the price has been higher than normal. Is a Hantek DSO2D10 sufficient for audio work?
I would suggest getting a 4-ch scope, because you can use 2 channels for differential measurements (and use the "chA - chB" math function, so a 4-ch scope can make 2-ch differential measurements), instead of having to use differential probes.

[Edit] For more info, see: https://download.tek.com/document/3AW_19134_2_MR_Letter.pdf

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
More often than not those soft-clipping schemes should be better called clean-clipping as the transition still is quite kinky, producing lots of odd-order harmonics rather instantly. But at least the transitions into clipping as well as out of clipping are nicely shaped, no "rail-sticking" hangover and no oscillations.

To answer your question, most (if not all) ICEpower ASC series class-D amplifier modules used in some comercial amps show such a nice clean clipping when not totally overdriven. With a proper front end that cleanly clips (and recovers fast) just a bit above the module's clipping point the behavior can be nice and stable.

Perceptually benign soft-clipping must IMHO start quite at bit earlier to have enough headroom for a very round "knee", starting at about 1/2 max output voltage... but that severely reduces "distortion free" output power to about 1/4th. Therefore, we seldom see such behavior, notably not in solid-state amplifiers. It spoils specifications, a no-go. Yet it may sound considerably better in, say, the "student party" scenario: undersized amp cranked into clipping all the time.

All of the above refers regular voltage clipping, the amp running out of voltage. But when we have current clipping (amp running out of steam on low-impedance speakers) things tend to get nasty. Clean and soft over-current clipping is much harder to implement...

D

Deleted member 48726

More often than not those soft-clipping schemes should be better called clean-clipping as the transition still is quite kinky, producing lots of odd-order harmonics rather instantly. But at least the transitions into clipping as well as out of clipping are nicely shaped, no "rail-sticking" hangover and no oscillations.

To answer your question, most (if not all) ICEpower ASC series class-D amplifier modules used in some comercial amps show such a nice clean clipping when not totally overdriven. With a proper front end that cleanly clips (and recovers fast) just a bit above the module's clipping point the behavior can be nice and stable.

Perceptually benign soft-clipping must IMHO start quite at bit earlier to have enough headroom for a very round "knee", starting at about 1/2 max output voltage... but that severely reduces "distortion free" output power to about 1/4th. Therefore, we seldom see such behavior, notably not in solid-state amplifiers. It spoils specifications, a no-go. Yet it may sound considerably better in, say, the "student party" scenario: undersized amp cranked into clipping all the time.

All of the above refers regular voltage clipping, the amp running out of voltage. But when we have current clipping (amp running out of steam on low-impedance speakers) things tend to get nasty. Clean and soft over-current clipping is much harder to implement...
So. Why is it that clipping due to current limitations isn't the same behaviour as with voltage? Is it to do with transformer saturation? Is it the behaviour of the output transistors operating out of the SOA? The rectifier? Or the filter caps not able to stay charged, causing noisy DC supply?

Top Bottom