• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Clear/Transparent sound dampening?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would imagine basically two boxes (one of them smaller of course) ,one inside the other.
Some bracing in between them to maintain the distance,really good shielding and a vacuum pump in the end.
Sure, but the devil is in the details. You'd need solid walls around the holes for the drivers as well as the binding posts, and you'd need to have a truly excellent high-pressure seal. We are not just talking airtight, but airtight indefinitely at 14 PSI or so. I think there is a reason you usually only see glass or metal vacuum chambers...

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sure, but the devil is in the details. You'd need solid walls around the holes for the drivers as well as the binding posts, and you'd need to have a truly excellent high-pressure seal. We are not just talking airtight, but airtight indefinitely at 14 PSI or so. I think there is a reason you usually only see glass or metal vacuum chambers...
I think that a devil diyer could figure all this.
Drivers can be mounted from the inside (bracing from the bottom),cables and holes backed up (bathed actually) in strong resins when passing through (it won't seem nice but that's not the goal).

It would be far easier for only the five sides but the fun is to be difficult!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that a devil diyer could figure all this.
Drivers can be mounted from the inside (bracing from the bottom),cables and holes backed up (bathed actually) in strong resins when passing through (it won't seem nice but that's not the goal).

It would be far easier for only the three sides but the fun is to be difficult!
I think the mounting points should be made of rings of double or triple-thickness material so you don't have to drill holes in the vacuum chamber. That's a compromise though, because the material will transmit sound from the inside to the outside... use dissimilar materials for the full thickness rings to encourage internal reflection? Hmm... not simple at all I think. I would love to see someone try it. :D

Top Bottom