• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Clamping LP's; The TBone way ...

TBone

Major Contributor
In this post, I'll refrain from pointing out the advantages and disadvantages of clamps in general. Instead, included is MY step by step guide. My parts list is my own and may not apply to your rig. The methodology is the real key ...

Tools of the trade ...

1527520138907.png

in my case ...
-mat (DIY coarse paper).
-strobe (DC motor requirement).
-cork washer (DIY).
-compliant foam spindle insert (DIY).
-clamp (gripper).
-bubble level (REQUIRED)

1st step ... set the mat & foam spindle in place.

1527520580836.png

2nd ... gently place your choice of LP, the flatter the better, upon the platter (in my case, an original (very flat) Harvest "A3/B3" LP).

1527520728481.png

3rd ... place the strobe and cork washer.

1527521024042.png

Notice the bubble level. Obviously, the LP is not near level at this point.

4th ... place the clamp over spindle.

1527521579385.png

Final step ... GENTLY press down on the clamp, when the bubble indicates level, apply the grip.

1527521694728.png

Done!

Stylus Azimuth is the real issue at hand. If the LP is simply placed on the platter, then clamped, AS MOST DO ... without making certain the LP is as level as possible, the entire exercise of attaining proper tonearm azimuth suddenly - becomes moot.

Sadly, not every LP will level out properly, many are impossible to get correct. Some tracks may level out, other not so much. The idea, in any case, is to get the LP as "level" as possible.

TB1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice approach TBone
Is the purpose of the strobe disc simply to monitor speed if the table lacks the feature?

OP
TBone

TBone

Major Contributor
hi Sal ... the above is my "ripping" 'table, which unlike my main listening AC driven 'table, uses a DC motor, very prone to speed drifts ... esp with my damped bearing design which adds (purposely) a certain amount of viscous oil/drag within the bearing. When the bearing warms up, it starts to run faster. The strobe allows me to watch and control that drift during ripping sessions. To be honest, it really is a pain-in-rear kind of turntable ... quality of parts is exceptional, very rigid, and not a part within it hasn't been touched to one degree or another. I dread having to modify it (which I do often), because it means, for one reason, I have to re-balance the platter every re-assembly, which can take me 10 minutes (if lucky) or hours of frustration. That said, it offers "reference" type sound quality that few I've witnessed can match, at any cost.

My AC driven 'table is quite good, much more stable speed wise, and MUCH easier to play when I just want to listen to music, or have friends over ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That said, it offers "reference" type sound quality that few I've witnessed can match, at any cost.
That's a monster clamp, don't think I've ever seen one like it before.

Lots of work, but if it brings you satisfaction then every second is well spent. ;)

Top Bottom