• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheese

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Maybe the best cheese ever. In France, it is illegal to take this cheese on public transit.

View attachment 146977
I’m an Epoisses guy.

The old saying is that a fine French cheese should offend at least two of the senses.

mansr

Major Contributor
Everything I see about cheese (including the two books on cheese that I own) says that the cheese must be free to breathe and should not be wrapped in plastic.
In my experience, cheese will dry out rather quickly if not wrapped or contained in something. I assume that's why cheese wheels are covered in wax.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm a simple guy: Brie de Meaux, Camembert (which is basically a Brie from Normandy), Reblochon, Munster, Epoisses, St Nectaire, various Tommes and small goat cheeses from the south like the Pélardon. For the hard cheeses, go Alpine: Swiss Gruyère, Beaufort and Comté.

Most cheeses, I let "mature" a bit in a tupperware with a small opening at room temperature before putting it in the fridge. The hard ones like to dry a little bit directly in the fridge with the same tightly controlled air contact.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, cheese will dry out rather quickly if not wrapped or contained in something. I assume that's why cheese wheels are covered in wax.

by breathe, they mean adequate gas exchange, not drying out with no wrapper

Reactions: SIY

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
View attachment 146848

View attachment 146849

I love cheese... but it's a worry what some people actually consider cheese. ;)

JSmith
Pro tips -- if it's labeled as Cheese Food or if the word on the package is spelled Cheez, it just might not be the cheese you're looking for.
Also, be wary of any cheesy-like product that comes in a pressurized spray can.

I will put in a good word for my farmer-neighbor's smoked cheese. The starting cheese is nothing special, but the end result is superb (if not necessarily a high-end caseinate ;) experience)! It is also a phenomenal choice for the topping of a cheesburger, if one does cheeseburgers.

https://www.garfieldssmokehouse.com/collections/smoked-cheeses

DSC_0107 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More Pro tips -- if it's labeled with DOC, DOP, or AOC then it will be a very nice cheese.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We had a Norwegian Kraftkar cheese when we stayed some days in a mountain lodge in the Rondane national park in 2018. The menu in the restaurant stated that this cheese had won a gold medal in an international competition and it really tasted accordingly. Very different from typical norwegian cheese, rather close to a French Bleu d'Auvergne. On the way back my wife bought a big pack in a special store in Oslo. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some pretty good cheese (even by international standards) comes from our mirror image/evil twin ;) neighbor Vermont.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have been discovering the wonders of Cuba Cheese.

anthony.baxter

Plastic wrap serves as a barrier to protect the cheese from moisture loss, which can lead to changes in texture and flavor. It also helps prevent the absorption of unwanted odors from the surrounding environment. While cheese may not "breathe" in the literal sense, it can still undergo chemical and enzymatic reactions that contribute to its maturation process.

It's worth noting that different types of cheese have varying requirements for aging and storage. Some cheeses benefit from controlled humidity and temperature conditions, while others are more tolerant of different environments. For instance, certain soft and ranch cheese balls might require more breathable packaging to prevent excessive moisture buildup and mold growth.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After being a lifetime consumer of French and Italian cheeses, I've recently been converted to the delights of English artisanal cheeses.

My current favourites are Mrs. Temple's Binham Blue from Norfolk and Cote Hill Blue from Lincolnshire, both lovely creamy blues, Baron Bigod, a creamy brie-like cheese from Suffolk and Cornish Yarg, a semi-hard cheese wrapped in nettles and from Cornwall.

Since discovering those, I've had no need to buy French cheeses, although I do still like some Italian Taleggio.

Of all the things I could give up if ever I had to, cheese would be the most difficult.

S.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Kraft uses an NIR monochromator I developed (well, the analog part) to test the aging endpoint. So I'm almost a cheesemaker :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kraft uses an NIR monochromator I developed (well, the analog part) to test the aging endpoint. So I'm almost a cheesemaker :D
That's some pretty techy stuff to be developing even for a electronics designer I would imagine. :D

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Gouda is coated in plastic.

1688668759302.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's some pretty techy stuff to be developing even for a electronics designer I would imagine. :D
I designed scientific instrumentation in general for many years. The NIR monochromators are used by a lot of chemical, pharmaceutical and food companies for process and quality control.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I designed scientific instrumentation in general for many years. The NIR monochromators are used by a lot of chemical, pharmaceutical and food companies for process and quality control.
Very cool. Analogue circuitry is my first love so I really appreciate what you do there. What kind of study is required to design analogue circuitry of such complexity? Electronic Engineer, Masters of Electronic Engineering etc?

Top Bottom