• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheaper alternative to Aurender N20?

Robonaut

First time poster here, so hopefully I've created this thread in the right place.

I really like the concept of the Aurender N20 (large screen, user installable hard drives, etc.). But $12K for such a unit seems a bit...excessive.

Is there a similar unit out there which measures well and is not so insanely priced?

aurender-n20-server-silver-01__53362.1609166463.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Any fanless mini PC with good external DAC or Pi bord with chase and display instead. 12K $, very funny. o_O:)

mikedt

First time poster here, so hopefully I've created this thread in the right place.

I really like the concept of the Aurender N20 (large screen, user installable hard drives, etc.). But $12K for such a unit seems a bit...excessive.

Is there a similar unit out there which measures well and is not so insanely priced?
If you're comfortable tinkering, a raspberry pi 4, touchscreen display, digital out or DAC hat and ssd would cost you less than $250. Pop the whole shebang into https://smarticase.com/products/smartipi-touch-pro?mc_cid=6b410359fd&mc_eid=93d4945f2b and you're done. Dozens of youtube videos walk you through the process.
I have the hardware already working but I'm going to build my own case out of wood and aluminum to house it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're using Roon you could assemble a NUC attach HD or put them in the chassis depends on what case you get to do the heavy lifting and do a raspberry pi4 running Ropieexl with a screen for the bridge to connect to DAC or attach a DAC hat.

OP
R

Robonaut

Thanks to those who have responded.

I have to admit, though, that I'm not familiar with this Raspberry Pi tech at all.

Would I have a dedicated remote control for it, or would I be stuck using a keyboard and mouse?

Part of the appeal of the Aurender's design is being able to stick it in an equipment rack while using a remote control or phone app to control it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't worry with a screen I use my tablet to control music playback it's enough screen for my purpose yours may vary.

mikedt

Thanks to those who have responded.

I have to admit, though, that I'm not familiar with this Raspberry Pi tech at all.

Would I have a dedicated remote control for it, or would I be stuck using a keyboard and mouse?

Part of the appeal of the Aurender's design is being able to stick it in an equipment rack while using a remote control or phone app to control it.
if you build with the Pi 7" touch screen you can use that as input. Otherwise most Pi media software expects you to use your phone or tablet to run it. The Pi gets an ip address on your network and your phone/tablet controls it either via a dedicated app or web interface.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just get a newer Synology NAS (Celeron J4125 or better) with a large SSD hard drive: ~$1000
Roon lifetime license: $699
Pi 4B + 7-inch Touch Screen running Ropieee: $200

Total < $2000

More capability than the Aurender.

For $12K I'd rather pay a bit more for the Boulder 866. It looks even better and it comes with a DAC and an amp. The Aurender is not even Roon-capable.

To me a $12K server/streamer is no less ridiculous than a $100K DAC.

OP
R

Robonaut

I've seen a couple of mentions of Roon here. I took a look at their website, but it seems a bit impenetrable. What are the advantages of it? $700 seems like an awful lot for music streaming software.

Also, I should probably clarify my requirements.

I don't really care about streaming music off the internet. I also don't care about multi-room audio. I think I basically just need a box that does the following:

(1) Makes no noise (fan noise, etc.)

(2) Can have multiple SSDs connected to it (or already comes with them)

(3) Does *not* require any reformatting of my files--I can just connect a drive and immediately start browsing the file structure

(4) Can act as a pre-amp so I can connect it directly to the Genelec powered monitors in my listening room (this one is probably a "nice to have"--I could always connect it digitally to a separate DAC/pre-amp, but having everything in one unit would be keen)

(5) Has a screen large enough that the file structure can be easily browsed from about eight feet away (this ones' more of a "nice to have"--I could probably live with controlling it with my phone/tablet)

curiouspeter

I've seen a couple of mentions of Roon here. I took a look at their website, but it seems a bit impenetrable. What are the advantages of it? $700 seems like an awful lot for music streaming software.

Also, I should probably clarify my requirements.

I don't really care about streaming music off the internet. I also don't care about multi-room audio. I think I basically just need a box that does the following:

(1) Makes no noise (fan noise, etc.)

(2) Can have multiple SSDs connected to it (or already comes with them)

(3) Does *not* require any reformatting of my files--I can just connect a drive and immediately start browsing the file structure

(4) Can act as a pre-amp so I can connect it directly to the Genelec powered monitors in my listening room (this one is probably a "nice to have"--I could always connect it digitally to a separate DAC/pre-amp, but having everything in one unit would be keen)

(5) Has a screen large enough that the file structure can be easily browsed from about eight feet away (this ones' more of a "nice to have"--I could probably live with controlling it with my phone/tablet)
Perhaps a Matrix Element i, M or X. Or Lumin U1, or one of their streaming DACs. Use external SSDs.

$700 for software is very cheap. Or you can do month-to-month like me. How much do you think the $12K of that Aurender is software R&D or other IP?

Roon is supported by top level hardware. Even the MSB Select II can be Roon Ready.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a Matrix Element i, M or X. Or Lumin U1, or one of their streaming DACs. Use external SSDs.

$700 for software is very cheap. Or you can do month-to-month like me. How much do you think the $12K of that Aurender is software R&D or other IP?

Roon is supported by top level hardware. Even the MSB Select II can be Roon Ready.
I second this. i have the element i, m and lumin u1. All are excellent for what i am using them for

Apesbrain

For considerably less, the cocktailAudio X45/X35 and Bluesound Vault 2i are worth a look. Both are server/players with onboard CD drive and storage. The cA mobile app looks a bit kludgy, though.

AudioStudies

I second this. i have the element i, m and lumin u1. All are excellent for what i am using them for
Can the Lumin U1 display album artwork on the screen? What are the pros and cons of the unit overall? I saw that it can work with Tidal. Do you know if it can work with Plex? I haven't made a jump to Roon yet. Do you know the screen size? Screen resolution?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I wouldn't bother with looking for something you can put harddrives in. Those spin and make noise, or if you want to use SSD's they just drive up the cost. Just stream from a NAS instead and enjoy a petabyte of storage if that is your thing.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A computer does not have to be fanless to be silent. It just has to be quieter than ambient noise. Music playback ordinarily presents a very low load so the fans never speed up.

mononoaware

I am interested in the Apple M1 Mac Mini as a Player route.
I think it works out cheaper than NAS setup/dedicated player.
The caveat being only USB digital out to DAC, and no fancy Linear Power supplies like with the Aurender N20.

You can set everything up (copy audio files/create playlists etc) with a monitor then disconnect it, use the Mac Mini “headless” and control it remotely using iPad.

You can use JRiver media player to get around the file compatibility issue (iTunes is currently ALAC lossless only), and use the companion JRemote iOS remote app to control the player remotely.
So the iPad becomes the “portable” touch screen.

M1 is Apple’s new processor which is designed for low-energy consumption and low-heat. The new M1 Mac Mini unfortunately still has a fan, but from feedback I got here on ASR - M1 Mac Mini owners said it performs much cooler than previous Intel Mac Mini and should be silent from near-field listening position especially with low CPU use of audio playback.

Keep in mind this is only just one option, and some basic software install/use is required.
Alternatively if your collection is ALAC only then you can use iTunes and remotely control with the iTunes remote iOS App.
(Not sure yet about this method’s full functionality)
I can survive with the 256GB/512GB SSD M1 Mac Mini model, since all lossless collection is currently about ~128GB.

- Alternative can be M1 iMac 24” (much more expensive and permanent screen) which is guaranteed silent cooling (operation). M1 MacBook Air (also silent cooling) is slightly cheaper than M1 iMac but then you have to worry about charging the battery + foldable screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ata

curiouspeter

I am interested in the Apple M1 Mac Mini as a Player route.
I think it works out cheaper than NAS setup/dedicated player.
The caveat being only USB digital out to DAC, and no fancy Linear Power supplies like with the Aurender N20.

You can set everything up (copy audio files/create playlists etc) with a monitor then disconnect it, use the Mac Mini “headless” and control it remotely using iPad.

You can use JRiver media player to get around the file compatibility issue (iTunes is currently ALAC lossless only), and use the companion JRemote iOS remote app to control the player remotely.
So the iPad becomes the “portable” touch screen.

M1 is Apple’s new processor which is designed for low-energy consumption and low-heat. The new M1 Mac Mini unfortunately still has a fan, but from feedback I got here on ASR - M1 Mac Mini owners said it performs much cooler than previous Intel Mac Mini and should be silent from near-field listening position especially with low CPU use of audio playback.

Keep in mind this is only just one option, and some basic software install/use is required.
Alternatively if your collection is ALAC only then you can use iTunes and remotely control with the iTunes remote iOS App.
(Not sure yet about this method’s full functionality)
I can survive with the 256GB/512GB SSD M1 Mac Mini model, since all lossless collection is currently about ~128GB.

- Alternative can be M1 iMac 24” (much more expensive and permanent screen) which is guaranteed silent cooling (operation). M1 MacBook Air (also silent cooling) is slightly cheaper than M1 iMac but then you have to worry about charging the battery + foldable screen.
Use the Mac Mini M10 as a Roon server for a streaming DAC or amp. I'm eyeing the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120.

mononoaware

Use the Mac Mini M10 as a Roon server for a streaming DAC or amp. I'm eyeing the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120.

Sorry not familiar with streaming services.

Archive is just CD’s ripped to lossless files, so that is how I intended the original comment.
I must have misunderstood OP’s product, I thought it was a local playback device.

Top Bottom