• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Capacitor replacement on Yamaha NS-1000R crossover

TB2

I got this nice pair of Yamaha NS-1000R speakers. One tweeter isn't producing any sound. I tested it independently, with and without the L-Pad and it's working just fine. So I suspect it must be a faulty capacitor.

There's lots of info on the internet on how to "upgrade" the crossover in these speakers, but really, I'm happy to just replace the faulty cap. What I've figured out so far:
  • The capacitors for the mid-range are all wax and paper. Probably no need to mess with them.
  • The capacitors for the tweeter and sub-woofer are electrolytic. I figure since I must replace the one for the tweeter, I'll do both speakers. And I guess I could also replace the ones for the sub-woofer. Doesn't seem necessary though.
  • The capacitors should be non-polarized.
  • Wiring diagram. (The 94uF is achieved by two 47uF in parallel)
  • What it looks like. The white cap is the faulty one. The two black ones are for the sub. The others are for the mid-range.
But I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding caps that match exactly. At least, not without resorting to "audiophile" stores.

My question: will the following capacitors work?
2.7 uF 175V to replace the faulty 2.7uF 160V (tweeter)
47 uF 67V to (maybe) replace the existing 47uF 50V ones (sub-woofer)

In particular, I'm not sure if it matters that these have slightly higher voltage ratings. Furthermore, I can't figure out if these are non-polarized, but I think they are.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question: will the following capacitors work?
2.7 uF 175V to replace the faulty 2.7uF 160V (tweeter)
47 uF 67V to (maybe) replace the existing 47uF 50V ones (sub-woofer)

In particular, I'm not sure if it matters that these have slightly higher voltage ratings. Furthermore, I can't figure out if these are non-polarized, but I think they are.
They will work.
  1. Foil capcitors don't have polarity.
  2. Higher voltage doesn't hurt.
I assume the NS-1000R is a variant of the NS-1000M? Did you check the variable resistor behind the attenuation knob for treble?

Welcome to ASR :cool:

OP
T

TB2

It's been a while - just wanted to say I appreciate your feedback. I must have mistyped the 'R', it's an NS-1000M. It turned out to be a broken connection in the tweeter; the cable leading from one of the connecting leads to the voice coil. It was simply burnt through. I was able to fix it by resoldering the teeny tiny cables. It wasn't easy, but it worked and it's been working ever since! And honestly I have no idea how I got the diagnosis so wrong. It seems that I misheard sound coming from the tweeter when it actually came from the mid-range speaker. In all actuality, the tweeter was totally dead. In any case: Sounds great now!

Top Bottom