• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Campfire Solaris 2020 + Topping A90 Noise Issues

Jackhifi

Hey guys,

Current Setup - Macbook Pro -> SMSL Su-9 -> XLR -> Topping A90 (XLR hasn't helped with the noise, I have it also hooked up to the DAC with RCA and when I switch between them the noise doesn't change)

When I use Campfire Solaris 2020 with the Topping A90 I get noise issues even at the Low Gain. I thought this was a Ground loop issue with the USB so I ordered a few ifi products to help with that and its on the way but I got curious and unplugged everything from the Topping A90 and the louder static and noise disappeared but it still was emitting noise kind of like a low level hum! What's going on here? Are the Campfires just too sensitive or do I have another issue. IEMatch solves the problem but I thought the A90 was supposed to have one of the lowest noise floors so would rather not have to use IEMatch when I paid for something that should perform well. Thoughts?

OP
J

Jackhifi

So I tried everything from the ifi line of isilencer, Idefender, ipurifier, and gnd defender only to find out the noise is coming from my xlr cables? When I move the xlr cable around or touch the metal part of the connection to my amp the noise disappears.

Does anyone know why this is?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey guys,

Current Setup - Macbook Pro -> SMSL Su-9 -> XLR -> Topping A90 (XLR hasn't helped with the noise, I have it also hooked up to the DAC with RCA and when I switch between them the noise doesn't change)
You've tried disconnecting the RCA and only connecting the XLR? I found it weird you have grounding noise through XLR cables :s
You shouldn't need the iFi stuff in any case..

soundman414

Hey guys,

When I use Campfire Solaris 2020 with the Topping A90 I get noise issues even at the Low Gain. I thought this was a Ground loop issue with the USB so I ordered a few ifi products to help with that and its on the way but I got curious and unplugged everything from the Topping A90 and the louder static and noise disappeared but it still was emitting noise kind of like a low level hum! What's going on here? Are the Campfires just too sensitive or do I have another issue. IEMatch solves the problem but I thought the A90 was supposed to have one of the lowest noise floors so would rather not have to use IEMatch when I paid for something that should perform well. Thoughts?

From what I know about Campfire's IEMs, they are really sensitive. You should check out Head-Fi and see what other owners are using for amplification. It's probably as simple as that. I'm guessing they didn't design the A90 for extremely sensitive IEMs, but mostly for on-ear/over ear headphones that need good power to drive them.

fokta

Hi, a Solaris IEM Classic user..
CFA SOLARIS is a very sensitive CANS, even with the TOTL DAP, still find this Hiss, even if you manage to Eliminate the hiss, IMO, you will sacrifice Dynamic and Soundstage.

I am not a A90 user, but I think CFA Solaris is to sensitivity for it. And usage of Impedance adaptor such as Ifi IEMatch will become a must if you want to listen without HISS... IMHO..
So probably you just have to accept that you need that Impedance adaptor...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
A90 should have the lowest noise on the planet. 105dB snr at 50mV is not for show. So this is definitely not right. When you unplugged everything, did you remember to turn the volume all the way down?

And... is your room/house/power strip earthed?

And maybe the cable is faulty.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, a Solaris IEM Classic user..
CFA SOLARIS is a very sensitive CANS, even with the TOTL DAP, still find this Hiss, even if you manage to Eliminate the hiss, IMO, you will sacrifice Dynamic and Soundstage.

I am not a A90 user, but I think CFA Solaris is to sensitivity for it. And usage of Impedance adaptor such as Ifi IEMatch will become a must if you want to listen without HISS... IMHO..
So probably you just have to accept that you need that Impedance adaptor...

IMHO, that expensive TOTL DAP is not engineered well if it hisses with Solaris. Even the the likes of FiiO BTR5 and the Apple Dongle NEVER hisses with Solaris. My SP2000 DAP never hisses too on any IEMs out there on the market

fokta

IMHO, that expensive TOTL DAP is not engineered well if it hisses with Solaris. Even the the likes of FiiO BTR5 and the Apple Dongle NEVER hisses with Solaris. My SP2000 DAP never hisses too on any IEMs out there on the market
IC.
good for you then.. Alrd try AK line up. Majority Solaris didn't hiss, but SP2k, I find a slight hiss, compare to SP1k which is black background. & Sp2K delivers better dynamic then Sp1k.
well this is based on my exp. TQ
Now I am using it with DX300, still have that waterfall hiss, yet I still enjoy it, and use it often..

Top Bottom